Another High Street Rebrand

WillPS

"that's more like it" is such a shit slogan for a supermarket.

I thought Asda was meant to be moving upmarket? Cartoony/fun branding does not seem compatible with that aim, but then neither do most things about the Asda brand.
Philip

If they wanted to make the brand more colourful, I would have loved to have seen a version of this older logo introduced...

AGuyFromUpNorth

Primark have rebranded:
https://www.creativeboom.com/news/prima ... rand-look/

Was there actually any point in changing the logo?
james2001

AGuyFromUpNorth wrote: Mon 20 May, 2024 21.37 And speaking of ASDA, they've also recently changed their in-store ASDA radio. They don't play 'proper' songs anymore, just random 'license-free' style music like what Matalan, B&Q, etc. play.
Do they, I completely failed to notice that when I've been in there recently. Whereas whenever I went to B&Q, the "aural uncanny valley" nature of the cover versions used to drive me nuts (though I'm sure they went back to proper music a few years back). Earlier this year I was in the Hobbycraft in Dundee and was tortured by an awful cover of Into The Groove! Unless you mean they're not bad covers, but just bizarre original music, like the old fashioned muzak or the in-house stuff we get on the Brookside repeats, which might explain why I haven't clocked on, just assumed it was modern music I wasn't familiar with.

I remember in the 90s when Asda FM used to always play Let's Get Ready to Rhumble at 4PM every day! That went on for years, maybe even into the early 00s.

Also reminds me of when my ice rink went through a period of using the same royalty free bad covers CD for months on end- was a strange thing where all the tracks merged into each other as one 60 minutes long piece, and as the skating sessions was 2 hours, I had to hear the entire thing twice each week (and the changing of "kissing my ass" to "having a blast" on their version of Get The Party Started made me want to scream every time). Was almost a relief when they changed to a different CD, even if it was still bad covers... but then that stuck for months too. Thankfully they went back to using proper music again (though they have still at times used the same CD for weeks on end, and the same songs in the same order every week still drives you nuts even if it is the proper versions- thankfully it's been a while since that happened).
WillPS

AGuyFromUpNorth wrote: Tue 21 May, 2024 19.33 Primark have rebranded:
https://www.creativeboom.com/news/prima ... rand-look/

Was there actually any point in changing the logo?
It reminds me of the Sky 2008ish logo change, in that it's such a subtle change you end up wondering why they even bothered.
bilky asko

The mention of in-store music reminds me of M&S going in the other direction, having Status Quo produce "Saving All Over The Store".

It was quite surreal to hear it playing in the shop when I'd seen nothing about the song being produced.
Philip

I was in Asda the other week and it still amuses me when the DJ says something like "well I'll be back at the same time tomorrow", as if people schedule their shops around what shows are on Asda Radio
james2001

Until recently you could stream it online, so I guess saying something like that could have been aimed at anyone who listened that way (if anyone did!), but I can't find a stream any more, not one that works anyway.
AGuyFromUpNorth

It's not cover versions that ASDA are using (thankfully), it's just one of those royalty-free playlists designed for retailers like this one:

https://player.songtradr.com/home

They still have the ASDA FM DJ's, but it seems to be pre-recorded stuff and they never actually mention the artists' names or songs titles.

And speaking of weird lyric changes / song edits, Superdrug's radio seems to have some really choppy ones. Often they seem to completely cut out anything that the deem 'too inappropriate' (eg. removing words like damn, hell, etc.) and it really messes with the beat of the songs.
james2001

I've just been into Asda, there were more adverts than music! And the new slogan was there.

I still wouldn't have picked up on the fact it's all no name music if I hadn't been told, though that's at least partly because I know so little about modern music, though I imagine people not really noticing is what they're hoping for. It doesn't stand out in the way that bad cover versions do, so it fades into the background. Christmas will probably be the time it's most noticable they're not using licenced music and people aren't hearing their usual dose of Slade, Wham, Mariah etc.

Though a massive company like Asda becoming too cheap to pay to licence proper music (after decades of Asda FM and the music being a major part of their stores) really does seem ridiculous.
Zimba

AGuyFromUpNorth wrote: Mon 20 May, 2024 22.09 I was just thinking about this - it seems such an odd decision. So now we are either going to see tons of stores with old branding, or they are going to pull a Morrisons and rip down all those signs after only a year or two and replace them...

It wouldn't be so bad but the old branding feels very 'formal' whereas then new branding is quite 'playful' in my opinion. The two don't really go together at all so I'd imagine a half-hearted rebrand would look really off.
Surely they'd just keep the same signage outside? Just looks the same as the current one to me bar the new tagline.

Speaking of Morrisons, they seem to have a rebrand every other month lately. It feels like every store in the North East has a different interior as they keep changing it over and over again, even the current refurbs are different to each other with some getting done properly and other's being a botch job as an understatement. Right mess.