Snoring

Chie

Smoking interferes with the absorption of vitamin D. I found a US government link confirming this half an hour ago, because I knew you'd argue, but I can't be bothered to go and find it again.

Also, I forgot to tell you that my bedroom window is south-facing. Plenty of sunlight fills the room in the afternoons.

Your concern is much appreciated, Gavin, but there's very little I don't know about nutrition, vitamins, absorption efficiency, etc. and I've never felt better.

Thanks though.
Sput

Then I will assume you know enough to keep your window open at all times (glass is often absorbing at UV wavelengths) and you have the good sense to move south from about October to March, when the angle of the Earth means the atmosphere at UK latitudes absorbs all the light at the right UV wavelengths for Vitamin D production.
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sput wrote:Then I will assume you know enough to keep your window open at all times (glass is often absorbing at UV wavelengths) and you have the good sense to move south from about October to March, when the angle of the Earth means the atmosphere at UK latitudes absorbs all the light at the right UV wavelengths for Vitamin D production.
Yes, by 2008 it was firmly established that the Scots have a vitamin D deficiency problem purely by virtue of location, and its taken quite seriously. Well, my doctor certainly does - enough to establish that I could do with a boost of it.

http://shineonscotland.org.uk/

I wasn't attempting to be sneery when I speculated that a night-owl might suffer the same outcomes as sun-starved Scots; but if it came across that way I apologise. I just intended it to express my conclusion - loudly, and in a way that might provoke said person into soaking up some rays OFTEN. Not sparingly. The sun is free, after all.

As is the advice.
jsm

I'm INCREDIBLY pale (thank you Irish ancestors), so I'm unable to tan, and instead get a pretty nasty sunburn after 10-20 minutes in direct sunlight in spring and summer. There are plenty of warnings here about Skin Cancer and the like, but also about Vitamin D deficiencies, so I've always been quite confused.
Gavin Scott
Admin

jsm wrote:There are plenty of warnings here about Skin Cancer and the like, but also about Vitamin D deficiencies, so I've always been quite confused.
Basically, vitamin D deficiency and UV radiation will both kill you, but a tan is more glamorous so get on the sun bed.

Gavin, in terms of "sleeping with the dehumidifier on", how is it hazardous to health? I Googled it, but the only relevant result was your post on Metropol ;)
I didn't say it was hazardous to health, just that its not advisable.

Breathing in dry air makes the uptake of oxygen and its subsequent transfer to the blood system more difficult. The knock on effects of that are fatigue and reduced concentration levels.

Trolley dollies on airlines complain of it.

Vitamin D is essential in the production of white blood cells. Lack of it causes problems, and too much of it probably indicates you've been laying out in the sun too long.

Harm springs from excess, as granny used to say.

EDIT: also, "During the winter months when we turn on central heating and close the double-glazing, our sealed homes can dry out to less than 25% relative humidity. This is as dry as the Sahara Dessert. The warm inside air tries to regain its moisture balance and sucks water from any available source, including our skin, hair, eyes, nose and throat.

This results in dry, flaky skin, especially around our face and hands, hair becoming more brittle and susceptible to split ends, and our eyes becoming itchy, especially for contacts lens wearers.

Very worrying effects of a dry inside atmosphere are our nose and throat drying out, as this leaves us more susceptible to colds and viruses. The mucous membranes in our nose and throat are natural defences against airborne germs. Dry them out and we are left vulnerable."

You didn't google very hard, did you?
Gavin Scott
Admin

I'll Google you hard.
Only if the money's right.
Sput

I have no problem with this so long as nobody resorts to Binging.
Knight knight
Chie

jsm wrote:I'm INCREDIBLY pale (thank you Irish ancestors), so I'm unable to tan, and instead get a pretty nasty sunburn after 10-20 minutes in direct sunlight in spring and summer. There are plenty of warnings here about Skin Cancer and the like, but also about Vitamin D deficiencies, so I've always been quite confused.
Don't you wear sunscreen? I use Boots Soltan SPF 15 (regularly reapplied) and developed a nice tan over the recent sunny period. Without it I go bright red after just half an hour in full sun. Although if you're of Irish descent you'd probably need SPF 40 or greater.
Alexia

Sput wrote:I have no problem with this so long as nobody resorts to Binging.
I was going to Hotbot...
jsm

Chie wrote:
jsm wrote:I'm INCREDIBLY pale (thank you Irish ancestors), so I'm unable to tan, and instead get a pretty nasty sunburn after 10-20 minutes in direct sunlight in spring and summer. There are plenty of warnings here about Skin Cancer and the like, but also about Vitamin D deficiencies, so I've always been quite confused.
Don't you wear sunscreen? I use Boots Soltan SPF 15 (regularly reapplied) and developed a nice tan over the recent sunny period. Without it I go bright red after just half an hour in full sun. Although if you're of Irish descent you'd probably need SPF 40 or greater.
Whenever I know that I'm going to be in direct sunlight for 20 minutes, I always apply SPF 55 UVA/UVB. I do quite a bit of walking every day commuting (~40 min, not at midday), but I'm usually covered up, so I don't bother.
Lorns

Chie wrote:I take vitamin D supplements and sit in the garden for a few hours at the weekend when it's sunny, so it's all good.
That's very health concious of you Chie, but, do you snore? Or do your family members make the walls vibrate with their snoring?
I'm Ok for Vit D as i live as close to the south east corner you can get, so get plenty of sunshine.
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?