Snoring

Lorns

Thanks to Titchmarsh i've started this thread.

Apparently i am a snorer ( i'm in denial). However Mr. Hellfire is definately a snorer ( i've heard it with my own ears).
We have tried all supposed remedies. The nose strips don't work. The ear plugs work to a degree but don't drown out the Alarm clock.
Thankfully we have a sparebedroom. We sort of take it in turns to sleep in the spareroom.

How do you lot cope with Sir snores alot?
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
Gavin Scott
Admin

I think I probably snore, but I sleep alone (generally), so I don't care.
Chie

Living in a noisy household in a very noisy location, I choose to do my work in the calmness of night. Unfortunately this means sleeping till late in the morning, which is a frustrating experience, so much so that at one time it was making me feel suicidal. Ear plugs seemed to deaden high-pitched sounds and amplify low ones so they were about as useful as an ejector seat in a helicopter. In a flash of inspiration I thought of leaving the desk fan on while I'm asleep to sort of cancel out the low background noises, and it actually worked. Except that after about a year I became desensitised to it and could hear through the sound of the fan despite it now being on the highest setting. So I bought a second-hand dehumidifer that now hums away loudly in the corner, and that works a treat. :)
Gavin Scott
Admin

That sounds expensive to run; and its not advisable to sleep in a dehumidified environment.

Have you thought of one of those digital sound players - they do whale song and rain falling etc.

Might be a better solution.
Chie

I have the unit on the lowest setting possible so that it doesn't present a health hazard. At first I had it on the highest setting thinking it would be louder, but my eyes became dry after a few days so I turned it down and discovered the volume is the same whatever the setting. The constant stream of noise provided by the dehumidifer makes variable background noises inaudible during sleep. Whale song isn't constant enough to achieve the same effect, although rainfall might be worth investigating..
Gavin Scott
Admin

Chie wrote:I have the unit on the lowest setting possible so that it doesn't present a health hazard. At first I had it on the highest setting thinking it would be louder, but my eyes became dry after a few days so I turned it down and discovered the volume is the same whatever the setting. The constant stream of noise provided by the dehumidifer makes variable background noises inaudible during sleep. Whale song isn't constant enough to achieve the same effect, although rainfall might be worth investigating..
Those digi-sound players have about a dozen different soundscapes. You might get some samples if you google them.

You could always try sleeping through the night. Perhaps you'd feel better about it these days. Lack of daylight won't do you much good in the long run - you don't want to end up with rickets - it leads to softening and weakening of the bones.
Chie

I take vitamin D supplements and sit in the garden for a few hours at the weekend when it's sunny, so it's all good.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Chie wrote:I take vitamin D supplements and sit in the garden for a few hours at the weekend when it's sunny, so it's all good.
I take vitamin D too - two tablets a day. Your body can only absorb a trifling amount of vitamin D in tablet form, which is why doctors recommend double-dosing. Add to that I keep regular hours, and despite this, I was told my vitamin D levels were less than ideal at my last check up.

I actually shudder to think what yours must be like.
Chie

You smoke, drink and drink coffee. I don't. I drink three pints of milk per day (two milkshakes and one plain - I take my 25-microgram vitamin D tablet with the plain one). I also eat Branflakes, which are fortified with 4.2 micrograms per 100g. (Eat those straight out the packet as I've got a thing about eating stuff out of bowls.)
Gavin Scott
Admin

Please yourself.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Don't edit to add after someone replies Chie, its bad form.

Your diet is really of no consequence. Neither is smoking. In understand smoking causes Vitamin C depletion, but not D.

There's no need to be so defensive, you weren't under attack. I just thought you might want to know that lack of daylight, sustained over years, can be extremely deleterious to your health.

But you know best.