Homeless people sitting next to cash points

rts

Experienced this a few times, again last night.

Justly entitled or taking the piss?

I like to think I’m a charitable person, but I tend to think my reaction is “got change for a tenna?”.

I’m fortunate enough never to have been homeless, so don’t know what exactly it’s like, but sure there are other ways? You want the public to sympathise, and I think ATM begging is more likely to achieve the opposite.

Again, I'm lucky enough not to have been in their situation so don’t know how desperate things get, especially as winter is settling in. But I’m sure there a shelters and local organisations that can help. I’m more willing to donate to these as you know where the money is going to, rather than possibly funding a alcohol or drug habit. I appreciate the latter two numb the pain, but I’m sure using local groups and organisations offer hope and a longer-term solution.

I didn't spare any change.
Gavin Scott
Admin

With all the usual caveats of, "they're people too", "how would I feel if I was homeless" etc - yes, it really pisses me off.

We have an incumbent in Easter Road right outside the Scotmid ATM. He's getting closer and closer to the thing, to the extent that his leg occasionally brushes mine when I go to use it.

Using an ATM is a bit like opening your wallet in the street, and none of us feel comfortable handing cash where we could get mugged. Its a diabolical liberty for them to sit next to these things. It feels threatening - or at least, unsafe.

I should ring the police and ask them to move him on - but all those things I mention in the first paragraph are the reasons I don't.

But, as a side issue, there's a mammoth fat Polish lady who hovers around the Scotmid entrance selling the Big Issue. She's clearly not going without plenty of food.

Pals tell me that she's one of a family of beggars who are dotted around town. The husband is an alcoholic who sits up near the Omni centre (for those who know where that is), and there are two lads also selling the Big Issue.

I do buy the magazine from time to time, but I'm not buying it from someone who has travelled to this country just to be homeless and begging. That's something Britain is more than capable of supplying on its own.

I want to be charitable and understanding - but I'm not going to be a soft touch.
rts

I also think it should be against the law for homeless people to own a dog.

Companionship, maybe, but if you're unable to home yourself, don't try using a doggy as a sympathy hook.
Sput

Thing is, I'm probably going to a cash machine BECAUSE I HAVE NO MONEY and I'm hardly gonna start doling out tenners
Knight knight
cdd

I'm hardly gonna start doling out tenners
Maybe some people do though which makes it all worthwhile...

One person a day would do wouldn't it?
Nick Harvey
God

cdd wrote:

You're wrong CDD.

£70 a week could hardly be described as a reasonable income.
cdd

Above average for homeless people I would imagine.
Jovis

You're wrong, cdd. I imagine heating bills are huge when you're trying to keep warm on the cold streets.
jay

Nick Harvey wrote:
cdd wrote:

You're wrong CDD.

£70 a week could hardly be described as a reasonable income.
It's more than I get as a Researcher out of work on Jobseekers' Allowance - I get £50 a week. Maybe I should start hanging around the local HSBC and see what I can make, instead of looking for a job. Hmm, yes.
Twitter: @jasonbetts
rts

There's an HSBC in Bourne End, Jay. I'll wave on my way home!