Twitter

rts

Well at last I have caught up with the times and signed up. From what I can gather it's a bit like a Facebook status, where you can update your thoughts and what you're doing, and follow other peoples remarks.

I've also verified my mobile phone. I'm on a package where I have unlimited free SMS. Will I be charged for texting Twitter?

I'm going to have a browse around and try and familiarise myself before I look like a complete twit..
lukey

There's no inherent charge in texting Twitter, so as long as you're texting the domestic number, you should (AFAIK) expect to have that covered by your unlimited texts. It's a shame they discontinued their free update texts, though obviously that was never going to be sustainable (not that I really know what their business model is meant to be yet, unless they're relying entirely on building relationships with news organisations for tie-ins etc. - but that's for another topic :P).
Ronnie Rowlands

9:15 20/1/2009: Going to toilet.

9:17 20/1/2009: Having a piss.

9:19 20/1/2009: Still pissing.

9:20 20/1/2009: Damn I made a mess, time to shoot.

Twitter is the silliest thing I've ever seen (there are sillier, but for the sake of argument, it is for now). Why does one need to share every little thing about oneself? Moreover, do they care? I'm not sure they do.

I really don't get it.
Ronnie is victorious, vivacious in victory like a venomous dog. Vile Republicans cease living while the religious retort with rueful rhetoric. These rank thugs resort to violence and swear revenge.

But Ronnie can punch through steel so they lose anyway.
lukey

Ronnie Rowlands wrote:9:15 20/1/2009: Going to toilet.

9:17 20/1/2009: Having a piss.

9:19 20/1/2009: Still pissing.

9:20 20/1/2009: Damn I made a mess, time to shoot.

Twitter is the silliest thing I've ever seen (there are sillier, but for the sake of argument, it is for now). Why does one need to share every little thing about oneself? Moreover, do they care? I'm not sure they do.

I really don't get it.
Obviously for most mere mortals, it's little more than the usual mutual ego masturbation we've come to expect from Facebook et al. but where it absolutely does come into its own is for disseminating little snippets of information - it's a better platform for 'breaking news' type things - and is a great lightweight alternative to sitting in front of liveblogs for the likes of Apple product announcements, for example.
rts

Twitter has great potential for directed advertising. By picking up words put in someones tweets, they can direct targetted advertisments to be shown to them when browsing the site.

With millions apparantly Tweeting, this could provide a massive revenue!

I've added the application so it does my Facebook statuses too.

If anyone looks at my page, does that mean they are "following" me? Or do they have to click somewhere to follow me?

I'm going through their support section now.

Questions questions...
lukey

Following is akin to subscribing - someone has to actively choose to 'follow' your feed.
rts

They don't make it easy to find people do they.
Jovis

lukey wrote:(not that I really know what their business model is meant to be yet, unless they're relying entirely on building relationships with news organisations for tie-ins etc. - but that's for another topic :P).
Twitter About wrote:Twitter has many appealing opportunities for generating revenue but we are holding off on implementation for now because we don't want to distract ourselves from the more important work at hand which is to create a compelling service and great user experience for millions of people around the world. While our business model is in a research phase, we spend more money than we make.
rts

Starting to get my head round it. Think I might turn off Twitter updating my Facebook status, as I think it would drive friends mad. I'll see how often I tweet...

If anyone is a regular twitter, and fancies following my drivel, you'll find me at here.
Steve in Pudsey

lukey wrote:There's no inherent charge in texting Twitter, so as long as you're texting the domestic number, you should (AFAIK) expect to have that covered by your unlimited texts
Unless things have changed recently that number is actually an Isle of Man number and not all operators include it in free text bundles
lukey wrote:It's a shame they discontinued their free update texts
I lost interest when that happenned.
rts

Yes the update texts thing would be fab. I'm a reader of Guido Fawkes who uses Twitter - but in all honesty I was only after the SMS updates. If I'm online, I'll just access his blog.