Tesco carrier bags are awfully cheap

Square Eyes

I think they are. Is it too much to ask for a serviceable means of transporting your goods from the store to your vehicle ? These things are paper thin. I think this is another area where Morrisons excel, their bags are much sturdier.

So in true Metropol stylee, share your supermarket carrier bag tales of woe here.
Charlie Wells

Somerfields carrier bags are just as bad, though you can pay 10p for a sturdy 'bag for life'. The bags are bio-degrable (or whatever the term is), though some seem to be in the process of doing so the moment people put their shopping in the bag. Having worked on the checkouts a few years back I've seen quite a few bags break causing the contents to spill/smash. I tend to opt for 'double bagging' if the load is heavy, seems to do the trick.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
tvmercia

i always decline the offer of a carrier bag when i pop to tesco next to work, the design on them is so old fashioned.

only sainsbury's have a half respectable design.
tvmercia

Charlie Wells wrote:I tend to opt for 'double bagging' if the load is heavy, seems to do the trick.
you didn't get your blue peter badge for nothing.
Sput

Charlie Wells wrote:I tend to opt for 'double bagging' if the load is heavy, seems to do the trick.
Is that anything like Tea-Bagging?
Knight knight
Charlie Wells

Sput wrote:
Is that anything like Tea-Bagging?
Depends if you've been buying PG Tips at the supermarket.
(other tea products are avaiable)
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Pete

Somerfield and Co-Op bags are both biodegradeable and both very small. You can't fit much in them

Once I've used them however I can put them in the clear recycling bags as they are type 2 plastic.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
noelfirl

Since to the plastic bag tax has been introduced over here usage of plastic bags has dipped by somewhere in the range of 80-90% in favour of smaller green synthetic/nylon bags or tougher "for life" plastic bags.

It has the added benefit in that birds and hedges are no longer being choked by the remnants of someone's trip to the supermarket.
shaun

My parents have rarely if ever used those inferior plastic bags from the likes of ASDA. Instead, they have these really tough plastic bags (only purchaseable from Somerfield last time I looked, but my parents still have some of these bags in tesco-branded wrapping, that's the old red 80's branding), and two of them are getting on in age - but they are still perfectly serviceable.

You should all pop down to your local Somerfields post-haste and invest in these truly heavy-duty bags. This is where they are innovating - in the field of shopping transport.

similar except the ones i am refering to red, green or blue, are plastic and have more curvy handles.
Lorns

It looks like a large nappy!
Mental anxiety, Mental breakdowns, Menstrual cramps, Menopause... Did you ever notice how all our problems begin with Men?
shaun

I think it looks like (large, perhaps for the somewhat more plump person) underpants myself.