The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Nick Harvey
God

Beep wrote:New Tesco Extra being built by my house soon
But you haven't marked the exact location of your house on those plans, so we can all come and throw stones at your windows.

I'll be glad to see the back of the old Swan Centre. Not quite the thing of beauty it was when first built.
Beep

Nick Harvey wrote:
Beep wrote:New Tesco Extra being built by my house soon
But you haven't marked the exact location of your house on those plans, so we can all come and throw stones at your windows.
I assure you, I am not that close, my house isn't on those plans.
I'll be glad to see the back of the old Swan Centre. Not quite the thing of beauty it was when first built.
It's a shame, I spent a lot of my childhood in the market there. Other than that it was a shithole.
WillPS

Philip Cobbold wrote:
scottishtv wrote:And while we're talking about these things, why do the Sainsbury's till drawers still pop open after a card transaction? This used to be needed so the staff member could put in the store copy of the signed receipt, but since Chip-and-PIN was introduced this is no longer required. M&S stopped the till opening the cash drawers soon after Chip-and-PIN was introduced as tp reduce the security risk of someone seeing lots of cash and fancying a grab at it. What do the other supermarket tills do?
The drawer opens so you can put any coupons the customer has redeemed into the drawer, and also to allow cashback to be taken out.
That's the reason, but surely the till should only open IF either a coupon has been scanned OR Cashback is selected AND amount is greater than 0. As it stands, I automatically catch the till and slam it as it pops, frequently forgetting cashback until after I turn back and my till has a reminder on screen (and then I have to No Sale it).

The best thing would be to do as my previous place of work did and have a slot on the front of the cash drawer big enough to slip coupons or till slips through (that place still printed a copy of every EFT transaction complete with ALL card details IN FULL, regardless of whether a signature was required). The ex-Jacksons Sainsbury's Locals actually have these drawers plumbed in to the present till system.
Cache

I'm very much in love with this planned Tesco on Old Kent Road.
Beep

math-yoooo wrote:I'm very much in love with this planned Tesco on Old Kent Road.
What's that? A Subliminal London 2012 Advert?
Cache

Beep wrote: What's that? A Subliminal London 2012 Advert?
Pha, you're right! I was sure it reminded me of something.

Obviously, it's not all store. There's about 200 flats above it, which Tesco will make money from. I think we're going to start seeing more of these mixed-use developments by supermarkets, especially in bug cities where land value is nice and high.
Pete

In Tesco, what does it mean when they rotate a ticket 90 degrees and have it sticking out the bit of plastic?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Andrew Wood

Usually it means that the number of facings (eg how many tins of beans going left to right) is wrong. It's the tiny number on its own next to the barcode on the label.

Or it could be that there's a variable-weight price change (on fresh food departments) and the pre-packed products need to be re-labelled at the lower price per kg.
WillPS

Recently had this blast from the past brought to my attention:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... 1,,0,12.13

The other entrance dates from even further back:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie= ... 42,,0,9.75
m-in-m

Apologies for dragging this thread up from the doldrums.

I noticed today when I went to pay for my carrot in Tesco that they have modified the self service checkouts slightly.

The graphics for non barcoded items is now more similar to a folder rather than just a square. There also appears to be an extra layer to navigate through. As a side point to this has anyone noticed that prior to this when you selected A from the A-Z it only showed Pink Lady Apples (conveniently one of the most expensive varities).

Also reading the local paper this week I noticed that Tesco are seeking permission to install a collection pod in the car park - at the sacrifice of 11 parking spaces (no issue as they are always spares). The pod is designed to allow shoppers to collect their orders from a bay at what is being described as a "Click and Collect" facility. The pod would be open the same time as the store.

The pod is 3.3m high and 8.1m long with a flat roof. I'm afraid I've been unable to locate the planning application on the council website so can't find a picture.
lukey

m-in-m wrote:Apologies for dragging this thread up from the doldrums.

I noticed today when I went to pay for my carrot in Tesco that they have modified the self service checkouts slightly.

The graphics for non barcoded items is now more similar to a folder rather than just a square. There also appears to be an extra layer to navigate through. As a side point to this has anyone noticed that prior to this when you selected A from the A-Z it only showed Pink Lady Apples (conveniently one of the most expensive varities).

Also reading the local paper this week I noticed that Tesco are seeking permission to install a collection pod in the car park - at the sacrifice of 11 parking spaces (no issue as they are always spares). The pod is designed to allow shoppers to collect their orders from a bay at what is being described as a "Click and Collect" facility. The pod would be open the same time as the store.

The pod is 3.3m high and 8.1m long with a flat roof. I'm afraid I've been unable to locate the planning application on the council website so can't find a picture.
I also noticed some THRILLING changes to the software - like at the top-level menu being able to declare you have bags so that you don't get a 'unexpected item' bark on dropping your bag (necessitating a not-at-all-dodgy-looking first item in bag then drop manoeuvre). It also seems to be calculating discounts on the fly, which removes the excitement of saving 30p on a stir fry sauce BOGOF.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD.