Can I get some broon sauce with that?

Gavin Scott
Admin

Steve in Pudsey wrote:So is the cliche true, and "supper" really means "and chips"? :lol:
I thought it was like that everywhere.

Yes, its sausage single, or a sausage supper.

With salt and sauce.
Steve in Pudsey

In these parts (deepest Yorkshire), it's "fish and chips", or "once". Never heard it called a fish supper here.
marksi

Steve in Pudsey wrote:In these parts (deepest Yorkshire), it's "fish and chips", or "once". Never heard it called a fish supper here.
That's just stupid. Why would Yorkshire be the only place it wasn't a sausage supper or a fish supper? Or indeed a scampi supper or a pastie supper?
TG

It's a sausage or fish DINNER as well, this side of the Pennines...
barcode

I have always believe a supper was a Scottish thing and maybe Corby
Ebeneezer Scrooge

It is indeed a fish/sausage supper here in Leeds in the very least... But maybe that's not deep enough Yorkshire!
Snarky
James H

My lass doesn't understand the concept of cheesy chips, chips and gravy or chips and curry sauce. She says it must be an exclusively northern thing.The same is true of salty chips - she believes that everyone in the south is on a huge health kick and so there's no salt on anything ever.
Dr Lobster*

James H wrote:My lass doesn't understand the concept of cheesy chips, chips and gravy or chips and curry sauce. She says it must be an exclusively northern thing.The same is true of salty chips - she believes that everyone in the south is on a huge health kick and so there's no salt on anything ever.
here in norfolk, it very much seems to depend on where you buy - cheesy chips, chips with gravy or curry sauce (usually comes in separate polystyrene cup) are fairly easy to obtain.

brown sauce on the other hand... can't say i've ever seen it in a chip shop here.
nidave

James H wrote:The same is true of salty chips - she believes that everyone in the south is on a huge health kick and so there's no salt on anything ever.
I hate to quote the daily mail (no capitals) - but its a very funny article for something that's a very good idea.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... akers.html

In a nutshell, research has found people usually put 4-5 shakes of salt on their chips no matter what. Reducing the number of holes on the shaker will therefore reduce the salt intake.
LaSeandre

Gavin Scott wrote:
Steve in Pudsey wrote:So is the cliche true, and "supper" really means "and chips"? :lol:
I thought it was like that everywhere.

Yes, its sausage single, or a sausage supper.

With salt and sauce.
No. Smoked sausage supper, with salt and vinegar... :lol:
scottishtv

barcode wrote:The old saying: You can always tell east coaster, when there in a chippy! over in Glasgow there make you PAY for sauces even red!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR_lgrtxWT8
Geez. I remember that ad. Looks like the weegies won this round. Over in the east, The Codfather is no more.

Fancy a greasy pizza instead?