Own-brand Cola

Nini
Banned

marksi wrote:Is now a good time to bring up the peculiarity that is Northern Ireland's Brown Lemonade again?
G'wan, I'm up for a laugh.
wells

Interestingly I saw an American can of Coke in a local sandwich shop the other day the first I'd seen one from over the pond on sale here. Of course we are all used to seeing cans from Europe and even Asia, which I cant bring myself to drink even when I'm abroad. :roll:
James Vertigan

Has anyone here ever tried the Fentiman's cola? http://www.fentimans.com/

I get it at every opportunity I can - only place local to me I can seem to get it is Tesco at Ealing Broadway (although Morrisons near me have started selling their giner beer)

The "botanically brewed" cola is quite nice - and probably better for you than Coca-Cola or Pepsi!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
cdd

Ahh, curiosity cola. I keep seeing it but wasn't curious enough to buy it. I've been put off organic colas generally though after some other organic cola I tried which tasted like fruit punch with added yuk.

In Mexico you can get a drink called Toni Col. This is sort of like coke except with less coke taste and more vanilla taste, although nothing like Vanilla Coke which is only half way there. It's EXTREMELY nice. So if you go to Mexico for some reason keep an eye out for it.
jsm

Has anybody had Club Orange? It's the best soft drink ever. Too bad they don't sell it here in New York...it's $8 to import 6 cans, which is ridiculous.
LaSeandre

marksi wrote:Is now a good time to bring up the peculiarity that is Northern Ireland's Brown Lemonade again?
Not mentioning the Republic's Red Lemonade then?
cdd

I have been doing some searching and found several people on the internets claiming Aldi Cola tastes almost identical to Coca Cola.

I wonder if anyone here has tried it? I plan to buy some anyway, so stay tuned. :)
James Vertigan

cdd wrote:Ahh, curiosity cola. I keep seeing it but wasn't curious enough to buy it. I've been put off organic colas generally though after some other organic cola I tried which tasted like fruit punch with added yuk.
Would that have been Whole Earth Cola? Image

I think I tried it once as well - just to see what it was like - I can tell you, it wasn't a patch on Fentimans!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dr Lobster*

cdd wrote:Ahh, curiosity cola. I keep seeing it but wasn't curious enough to buy it. I've been put off organic colas generally though after some other organic cola I tried which tasted like fruit punch with added yuk.
it tastes really nice, almost like those cola bottle sweets... seriously try it.
wells

Another very dull post from me now......

I went into a Waitrose to see what if they did own brand Cola and what it tastes like, they don't appear to one though.

I really should get Twitter.
cdd

Sorry to drag this thread up but I am pleased to announce the results of the
CDD SUBJECTIVE COLA TASTE TEST

I tried the Regular (non-Diet) versions of all of these, with the exception of Tesco Value which is only available in sugar-free format.

In ascending order of Coca-Cola similarity...
  • Tesco Value cola - just yuk yuk yuk
  • Aldi cola - someone said this was as good as real coke but they were wrong, it's only marginally better than value cola
  • Panda pops cola - the best I can say about it is it's nicer than Alda cola, but, yeesh.
  • Tesco American Cola - this is beginning to get tolerable, at least I didn't throw away the rest of the bottle. Sold in cans
  • Sainsbury's Classic Cola - pretty good although it tastes a tiny bit watery if you ask me, definitely better than the Tesco equivelent. Sold in cans
  • Marks and Spencer Cola - extremely good stuff, in a rush I wouldn't be able to taste the difference, only disadvantage is it's only sold in big bottles or small bottles, no cans
  • Pepsi - pretty much perfect taste, shame about the price tag. Its formats equal those of coke though.
There are also a few other interesting colas which I don't really feel it fair to grade against them since they are rather different
  • Whole Earth Organic Cola - jesus this is revolting. It tastes like a cheap fruit punch, and costs about 90p a can at the snooty organic shop. I will avoid this like the plague from now on
  • Curiosity Cola - this is just bizarre, not the sort of thing I would drink every day but it's got a completely bizarre aftertaste taste to it... you should really try this
  • Tesco Premium Cola - this is seriously nice, it's a convincing cola + all sorts of fascinating vanilla type spices... I may actaully start drinking this regularly as an alternative, shame they don't sell it in my local tesco or sell it in cans though.
Also,I was wrong when I said:
cdd wrote:I believe the supplier for Tesco Premium Cola and M&S Cola is the same. They both have that sort of hidden Vanilla taste to them as well as being a weird blood red colour when viewed against a light
Well there you go. I wanted to try waitrose and asda cola too but I never go to either store. Waitrose is the one that interests me though as they make a point of getting all their own-brand stuff exclusively done (their all bran for example is unique).

/end cola geekage