Split or steal?

Split or steal?

Split
25%
Steal
75%

Total votes: 16
jjames

I suspect that my approach would kill the show stone-dead if it was ever aired (and I refuse to believe that no-one else has thought of this, so can only surmise that ITV have edited those shows that employ the strategy).

Simply state straight away that you will steal -- but that if the other party splits, you agree to write them a cheque for half the money.

This makes it quite clear to the other player that the *only* way they will make any money at all is to split -- and that they are quite safe to split at this point, as you have made an agreement on national television. If they steal, well you did warn them.
Mr Q

jjames wrote:I suspect that my approach would kill the show stone-dead if it was ever aired (and I refuse to believe that no-one else has thought of this, so can only surmise that ITV have edited those shows that employ the strategy).

Simply state straight away that you will steal -- but that if the other party splits, you agree to write them a cheque for half the money.

This makes it quite clear to the other player that the *only* way they will make any money at all is to split -- and that they are quite safe to split at this point, as you have made an agreement on national television. If they steal, well you did warn them.
In principle, your approach would be feasible, but the commitment must be credible. Keep in mind that this is not a one-shot game. The players might keep changing, but the game itself is repeated. If just one person goes with your strategy but then decides to break the agreement, then that inserts doubt for future games which would undermine the whole approach.
Sput

Gav, is Jasper Carrott as much of a douchenozzle as I suspect he is? Answer can be a PM if libelious :)
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

Sput wrote:Gav, is Jasper Carrott as much of a douchenozzle as I suspect he is? Answer can be a PM if libelious :)
He's warm, charming, personable, kind and witty.

I hadn't formed an opinion of him before; but that's my opinion of him after spending that very long day at the studio.

Honest injun. No foolin. Straight from the heart.

I'm a good judge of character, too.
Gavin Scott
Admin

That's just sooo not what you wanted to hear, is it?
Jamez
Banned

I'd rather spend a day with the charming scouse thesp that is Robert Powell.
User Removed
Sput

Gavin Scott wrote:That's just sooo not what you wanted to hear, is it?
I'm glad to hear there's one less gimp than I thought there was in the world. How does he manage to hide all that so effectively on screen?
Knight knight