Premier Inn or Travelodge?

Gluben

My newly acquired girlfriend and I want to go to London just for a night or two. Nothing big or expensive (hence the thread's title), just somewhere to be together, at the very beginning of September. I'm wondering which is the better one to go for. She likes the sound of the Travelodge at Covent Garden (probably because it has a Ben & Jerry's vending machine), but I think Premier Inn, minus the Lenny Henry ads and Travelodge's reputation, look more appealing. Except there aren't any at Covent Garden. Anyone got any good or bad experiences of either?
Adders

I've stayed in both, and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between the two.
Sput

I've generally found they're a necessity rather than a luxury, might be worth investigating if anything 'proper' is around for a similar price.
Knight knight
marksi

I stayed in the Travelodge Covent Garden for a week last year for work - it's the handiest hotel to Bush House that's within BBC expense limits. It's a great location though if you're expecting luxury it's going to disappoint! Clean though.

One thing to note is that there seem to be two buildings to it, and breakfast only seemed to be served in the one on Drury Lane (which was the one I was in). Maybe that was just a temporary thing...
Gavin Scott
Admin

Premier Inn is always my first choice. Stayed at an unexpectedly nice "Express" one at King's Cross and more than a few round Earls Court.

Having also stayed in a few privately run dumps down there I wouldn't take a chance with anything other than a chain like Premier Inn.

They always meet your basic needs and will change your room if you're not happy without the fear of them stabbing you to death for asking.

Which is a nice bonus, I find.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Premier Inn have wireless keyboards which can be used for web browsing, email and such and such; although I've never needed to try it as I take my laptop with me on such trips.

Some of the newly fitted-out ones have wet-room showers which are fab.

As Mark says, keep your expectations low and you'll generally be pleased with what you get.
Thames

Premier Inn if I have he choice, Travelodge do what they say but I always find the rooms slightly tired.

There's a very nice Premier Inn in the old County Hall building on the south bank.
nidave

anyone find it slightly amusing how quickly Premier "Travel" Inn dropped the Travel bit of the name after the merger :)

They had only just re branded all their hotels as well.
tillyoshea

There's always the option of the various easyHotels - The rooms are very small, but I've always found them to be exceptionally clean - and fully functional.
James H

I've just had an awful experience with a Premier Inn.

I was at a wedding in Wylam for the weekend, and anticipated coming home late, so rather than waking everybody up by trapsing in at 4am, I decided to book myself into the PI on Newbridge St in Newcastle, since there was transport anyway. Mum (for it was she booking it, as I was too busy wrapping presents in hundreds of coats of gold paper) gave all of the credit card details and everything while getting ready to go, and assumed that that was it - I got a confirmation e-mail and thought it was sorted.

Then, at 4am, I arrive at the hotel, only to be told that the credit card details had only secured the room, and that I would need to pay upfront, or get credit card authorisation at 4am in the morning by fax from home. I've since questioned that method - if you're on business, and you aren't carrying cash or cards on you since you're only there for one night, how do you expect to be able to pay for the room? That's why I use Travelodge - always do.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Yes, that caught me out the first time I went. They didn't accept my Electron card either so I had to go to a cashpoint.

It was very annoying at the time, but its not a mistake you'll make twice and the standard of the rooms (in my experience) makes up for it.