Congratu-well done

rob

Never revised for my exams, apart from my French GCSE exam, which was worth it, as I got an A*.

Most of the stuff was in my head anyway, so why revise it?
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Stuart*
Banned

Sput wrote:You don't have a right to moan....
Breath in slowly - and out again......slowly!

That's better sput.
User removed
Sput

I appreciate your sentiment, I am actually underwater right n...
Knight knight
Stuart*
Banned

Sput wrote:I appreciate your sentiment, I am actually underwater right n...
as I said - and breath deeply! :shock:
User removed
chinajan

Sput wrote: brewhaha
Brouhaha. ;)
james2001

nodnirG kraM wrote:However I must ask whether today there is any point in setting kids these exams. Citing BBC News Online as my source, it seems that 98.1% of British children passed their GCSEs last year, and that figure is expected to rise this year. Wow. Truly amazing. We must have the most intelligent children in the world if fewer than 2 out of 100 children are failing their exams. Congratulations to the lot of them. "The government says its focus will remain on 'getting the basics right'." and with these results it seems they have been successful.

Conversely, though, on Monday we were told that "More than half of employers say school leavers often cannot function in the workplace due to a lack of basic maths and literacy".

So which is it? Are today's kids works of genius or illiterate, innumerate under-achievers?
The thing is, it's what's defined as a "pass". GSCE has grades A*-G, which are all technically classed as a "pass", only a U is classed as a Fail. Of course, A*-C is what employers look for and are the only grades that really mean anything. G is a very poor result indeed, even if it is classed as a pass.
Stuart*
Banned

james2001 wrote:The thing is, it's what's defined as a "pass". GSCE has grades A*-G, which are all technically classed as a "pass", only a U is classed as a Fail. Of course, A*-C is what employers look for and are the only grades that really mean anything. G is a very poor result indeed, even if it is classed as a pass.
Yes, employers look for A-C (what is A* about - re-letter them you planks!).

But since you get an A* for 26% it's all pointless!
User removed
Sput

StuartPlymouth wrote:
james2001 wrote:The thing is, it's what's defined as a "pass". GSCE has grades A*-G, which are all technically classed as a "pass", only a U is classed as a Fail. Of course, A*-C is what employers look for and are the only grades that really mean anything. G is a very poor result indeed, even if it is classed as a pass.
Yes, employers look for A-C (what is A* about - re-letter them you planks!).

But since you get an A* for 26% it's all pointless!
Actually it makes perfect sense if, as I presume weirdo HR types do, you're trying to see who did better in a subject. Pointless would be comparing raw percentages from different years for reasons I outlined earlier!
Knight knight
Ebeneezer Scrooge

I've just been trawling the web to try and find some evidence to back up this claim of an A* for 26%... is there any proof?
Snarky
Sput

I've not found any either. I suspect it's real but it's very hard to support an opinion of the entire system based on one module of one subject from one exam board taken during one year.
Knight knight
Stuart*
Banned

Ebeneezer Scrooge wrote:I've just been trawling the web to try and find some evidence to back up this claim of an A* for 26%... is there any proof?
Well aside from that simple fact that now you get an A* for getting 74% of the paper wrong. 20 years ago you had to get 80% right to get a simple A.
User removed