Do you think Sky Digital is a rip-off?

Jamez
Banned

I've been thinking about biting the bullet and getting Sky Digital with HD.

I've just done some sums and I'm shocked at what the total cost is going to be:

High Definition television from Sky

TOSHIBA 26" WLT66 (the cheapest HD-ready television I could find online!)
£599.99

Sky HD Box:
£299.00 (£399 if you're already a Sky customer!)

Sky HD Subscription:
£10.00 pcm

Sky Entertainment Package (The most popular residential Sky package):
£21.00 pcm

Installation & Dish:
£60.00

Just to get Sky Digital HD going, I'm going to have to spend
£989.99 (£390.00 without cost of HDTV set)

Over a 1 year period (1 year mandatory contract with Sky): £1,330.99 ($2,611.14 USD) (£731.00 without cost HDTV set)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly, I think the cost of the HD box is grossly overpriced. How can they justify a £100 difference for those unfortunate enough to have already joined Sky?

Secondly, what's the point of the extra £10 per month subscription ON-TOP of the £21 Sky Entertainment package?

NB: Sky+ (the ability to record and pause live TV programmes is included with the HD box)

Am I the only one that thinks that this is a massive rip-off? I think I'll be going with Virgin Media instead.
Johnny

Give it a few years when it's no longer the new "in" thing, watch prices tumble and then buy one :D

I'm not a big fan of Sky, I'd rather have Virgin Media or stick with Freeview. I don't watch enough TV nowadays anyway to get Sky, there's just too much crap on to consider purchasing it
Johnny

Harry Hill : "What is it about people that repair shoes that makes them so good at cutting keys? Try going in there with a shoe shaped like a key and see how confused they get."
Sput

In fairness the Sky aspect of your setup is only a third of the price you mention. Is hdtv ludicrously expensive to pursue though? You betcha!

I've seen samsung 32" models for that price in shops incidentally
Knight knight
Neil Jones

Jamez wrote:I've been thinking about biting the bullet and getting Sky Digital with HD.

Just to get Sky Digital HD going, I'm going to have to spend
£989.99 (£390.00 without cost of HDTV set)

Over a 1 year period (1 year mandatory contract with Sky): £1,330.99 ($2,611.14 USD) (£731.00 without cost HDTV set)
Not a lot of programming is in high definition at this time - a bit of Sky stuff and a bit of BBC Stuff, and some sport, but that's about it. Its not worth it IMO.
Firstly, I think the cost of the HD box is grossly overpriced. How can they justify a £100 difference for those unfortunate enough to have already joined Sky?
It's Sky, they don't need a reason, its a monopoly to all extents and purposes in that area so they can charge what they like.
Secondly, what's the point of the extra £10 per month subscription ON-TOP of the £21 Sky Entertainment package?
To fund the HD channels and content I presume, unless the hardware digibox is that different from a standard digibox with extra functionality.
NB: Sky+ (the ability to record and pause live TV programmes is included with the HD box)
But it doesn't work at all if it can't see a satellite signal. Both regular Sky+ and Sky+ HD work in this way. Therefore if strong wind blows your dish out of alignment, you won't even be able to see what you've recorded previously.
Stuart*
Banned

Don't waste your money yet!
:arrow: When did you last invite people round to watch a film????
:arrow: When did your family last sit down and watch a film together????
:arrow: Does the difference in quality make you think - YES!!! I WANT TO WASTE MONEY.

Still want to, go for it! :shock:
(fool)
User removed
Square Eyes

As Neil has said, there isn't actually that much HD content out there, and if you're not taking out the Movies & Sport packages, even less.

If it's the BBC HD channel you want, then Virgin Media's V+ box has that (plus some VOD HD content), and you don't have to fork out £300 for the box. V+ also has 3 tuners. (Of course no Sky One on VM).

Then again, I don't know if you can get cable.

But until there is more HD content, I wouldn't bother.

Here is the V+ vs Sky + comparison (through Virgin eyes anyway)

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/dtv/vplus/how.html
cwathen

Just a couple of things James, the Toshiba 26WLT66 is an old model which is about to be discontinued - the larger screen sizes allready have been. Although it is built in Plymouth and in a different league to the awful Turkey-built 20/23WLT56 models, it's not actually that good. The panel doesn't sound that bad on paper, but in practice the electronics behind it just don't seem to be up to the level of the Panasonic TX26LXD600 or Sony KDL26S2030 and the picture looks a bit washed out in comparison. The sound is quite tinny too.

If you really want a Tosh, the two things they're rolling out now are the xxWLT68 models, which have a completely different panel and are pretty good bits of kit, or the more budget ssCS3030 TVs - these are basically WLT66's (albeit with some tweaks judging by the slightly improved picture quality) in a more modern casing.

Aswell as that, it's important not to kid yourself into thinking that 'high definition' means 'flawless'. Granted, the definition is much better, but it suffers from artefacts through abusive overcompression just as standard def TV does. It's an improvement, but it's still nowhere near the 'stunning/breathtaking/lifelike/amazing crystal clear' pictures we have been promised ever since digital launched.

I *still* think that a good analogue terrestrial picture on a decent CRT TV set is preferable to broadcast HD on an LCD.

High definition DVDs on the other hand are something to be wowed at. I've seen both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and they both look amazing. If you really want HD, I'd give Sky a miss for now and shell out on a high definition player and some DVDs - especially if you didn't plan on shelling out for the HD movies and sports on Sky. That'll give you a better experience for your money.
James Martin

I'm also failing to see the piont of High Definition just yet - there's simply not enough content.

There's also the issue that you do need to buy a brand new telly - and a very expensive one, and that puts me off ATM.
Beep

Virgin is great. FilmFlex:: 500 films at the push 6 buttons (10 counting pin)
I Might sue sky for corporate bullshitism
cdd

This is alll very well, except it's actually 1500 buttons, five box restarts, two hours on the phne to Virgin, lots of screaming, and no film.

Rotten service!
Godfather wrote:Virgin is great. FilmFlex:: 500 films at the push 6 buttons (10 counting pin)
I Might sue sky for corporate bullshitism
Gavin Scott
Admin

For most - including me - HD and a new telly will go hand in hand.

I wouldn't buy an HD ready TV and not immediately want to see HD programmes.

I have 3 TVs in my very small flat, and I only have one connected. I haven't bothered putting one in the bedroom as it wrecks my sleep patterns lying watching rubbish.

I can't justify the expense at this time, and I'll feel troubled at throwing out my perfectly good sets just now.

I'll leave it until it becomes more economic.