TV Licence

Gluben

Got an "official warning" from them, even though I don't actually have a TV, recording equipment or an arial or anything like that, so sorted it over the phone. It's a bit unfair that they send this to everyone as a form of scaremongering isn't it?

It doesn't actually count if you download video clips does it?
Dr Lobster*

when we moved into our house, the gf sorted the tv license (and put it in her name) and i brought the telly with my credit card so we still get the odd threatening letter from them saying they are going to send an enforcement official around (i forget how the last one was exactly worded, but it something along those lines). it continued to explain about the fine etc etc. i didn't like the tone of it, so i thought i'd never, ever do anything about it and see what happened... bugger all. never had anybody come round, and if they went round the back they'd see a nice big black sky dish on my wall so they'd no doubt want to come inside.
Chris

bee bee see wrote:Got an "official warning" from them, even though I don't actually have a TV, recording equipment or an arial or anything like that, so sorted it over the phone. It's a bit unfair that they send this to everyone as a form of scaremongering isn't it?

It doesn't actually count if you download video clips does it?
Well, in this day and age they assume you own a television receiving device of some description, hence the reason why they do it.

Downloading video clips - depends on what clips these are, if they, say, for example are recordings of BBC TV programmes then I would assume (technically) you need a license as you are watching television.
Gluben

No I don't watch whole programmes online. I only tend to watch clips on YouTube.

I knew I wasn't being picked on because nearly all my other flatmates have had the same letter (except one, who actually has a TV and a licence). It's just off-putting.
superguy
Banned

What if you own a projecter and screen?
Sput

The only POSSIBLE reason you would have those is to make an even BIGGER avatar for yourself.

And no. It wouldn't count. It's just a projector and a screen for pie chart parties.
Knight knight
Adders

I received my threatening letter today. I bought a TV Card in my name, but the license is in another name. You'd think they'd have the sense to use peoples addresses, rather than their names.
MarkN

Adders wrote:I received my threatening letter today. I bought a TV Card in my name, but the license is in another name. You'd think they'd have the sense to use peoples addresses, rather than their names.
This is because you may be a lodger - if you've signed a tenancy agreement with the owner of the house, then you need a separate TV licence to have a TV in your room. TVs in communal areas are covered by the owner's licence.

(see http://www.tv-l.co.uk/information/landlords.jsp#link4)
Adders

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not a lodger. I just live with my grandad due to some very long complicated happenings several years ago. He's not technically a blood relation though, so there may be some more confusion there.
cdd

Do you have to let a TV licence inspector into your home?
Gavin Scott
Admin

cdd wrote:Do you have to let a TV licence inspector into your home?
Not without a warrant. You are quite within your rights to refuse entrance. They have absolutely NO legal powers irrespective of what they tell you.

I mentioned this thread here in the office and was surprised to hear that a TV licence inspector had turned up asking for me becuase I had ordered a couple of colour TVs to send to a client.

Apparently the man very rudely told my colleague ("warned him" if you will) that we can't let staff members buy TVs and register them to our business address.

I wish to goodness I'd been present as I would have thrown him out.

The system as it set up assumes the person buying a receiver is GUILTY of fraud.

Its an absolute disgrace.