Virgin's Pendolino Trains

fusionlad

jay wrote:
Do the Voyager trains tilt as well?
All of the 5 car Voyagers tilt, and some of the 4 car ones too, but not in many places across the network yet.
steddenm

I know I may sound like a trainspotter here, which I'm NOT, but here goes...

The Virgin Voyager (Class 220) units, usually four cars, don't have the ability to tilt.
The Virgin SuperVoyager (Class 221) units, usually five cars, do have the ability to tilt but only on the following routes:
Reading - Oxford NOT via Didcot (Parkway)
Wolverhampton - Stafford
Stafford - Crewe/Manchester Piccadilly
Crewe - Preston/Liverpool
Preston - Glasgow/Edinburgh
plus on the London Euston-Holyhead/Llandudno service they can tilt throughout the route Euston-Crewe via Nuneaton.

The Virgin Pandelino fleet (Class 390), usually 9 or 10 coaches, can tilt on mostly the whole network at the moment, however, Bombardier/Alstom are currently revising the tilt computer due to 'platform bashes' at Nuneaton, Tamworth (Low Level), Stockport and Glasgow Central Platform 1.
James Martin

For some reason they have to attatch and detach a diesel locomotive when they pass through Nuneaton.

Travelled on a Pendolino between Nuneaton and Rugby yesterday. Only a 10 minute job but very impressed.
Anonymous

Do you watch Gladiators?
James Martin

No.
Andrew

nwtv2003 wrote:I've used Pendolino, as they're used on the West Coast Mainline, got it from Warrington to London, I was quite impressed, as said the tilt is odd at first but you get used to it. On the way to London we got there about 5 minutes early
They do that on purpose, they add extra time in the timetable so trains can run late but still arrive on time. All part of the unique way of thinking on the UK's rail network!
David

Is this what you are talking about? Virgin Trains look very swish at the moment!
David
steddenm

The reason they are attaching a Virgin Class 57 (a Thunderbird) is because of engineering work between Rugby - Birmingham - Stafford and trains are being diverted via the Trent Valley line between Nuneaton and Birmingham New Street.

Also, you may notice Voyagers in Nuneaton on XC routes, again due to diversions.
James Martin

I'm guessing that line doens't like the new locomotives.
steddenm

The Nuneaton-Birmingham stretch isn't electrified for the Pandelino's to run. The reason the line is being upgraded is for the new Siemens' West Coast Desiros.
Skytower

Andrew wrote:
nwtv2003 wrote:I've used Pendolino, as they're used on the West Coast Mainline, got it from Warrington to London, I was quite impressed, as said the tilt is odd at first but you get used to it. On the way to London we got there about 5 minutes early
They do that on purpose, they add extra time in the timetable so trains can run late but still arrive on time. All part of the unique way of thinking on the UK's rail network!
South West Trains are the meisters at this - they've managed to slow the timetable to such an extent that it now runs 20% slower than in 1990.