Pubs ban downmarket designer labels

Dr Lobster*

you are quite lucky, martin.

however, if you want to look *this* funky, you can always shop online: Image

their range of ben sherman shirts is almost unlimited, so you're bound to find something that suits you, and your budget.
Chris

martindtanderson wrote:Ive never seen a Matalan before, that must be because I'm in London.
Well, there's a Matalan in Staines.
nwtv2003

martindtanderson wrote:Ive never seen a Matalan before, that must be because I'm in London.
We've got one in Warrington and they aren't brilliant, only the other day they opened a Peacocks, again not terrific, apparently its like Ethel Austins.

Anyway lets hope this ban will spread further.
James H

However, the Burberry needs to be fake to be classes as a chav/charver. That's what happens up North.
Chris

Don't know if anyone's heard this, but there was a documentary on Steve Lamacq's show last week about the Chav.

Pretty interesting listen ...

Radio 1 documentary - "To Chav and Chav Not" - WMA 28.4Mb

and for those on dialup ...

Radio 1 documentary - "To Chav and Chav Not" - WMA 10.7Mb Lo-fi

Contains strong language from the start.
Katherine

Dr Sigmund Mohammad wrote:isn't it funny how, based on what car a person owns (ie, if it's a crappy vauxhall,ford, or peugot with at least two of the following an italic numberplate/alloy wheels/'sports' exhaust/lowered suspension/tinted windows) and what kind of clothes they wear, you can, usually, with almost 100% certainty make a correct assumption about their standard of living, education, moral values etc etc.
Why is it that in almost every town in the UK, the cars with the really loud 'boom-box' music systems seem to be owned by young twentysomethings who drive clapped-out Citroen Saxos or ageing Ford Fiestas?
Pilgrim Hospital Radio, Boston, Lincolnshire - Monday - Friday 19:00 - 22:00.

The place where broadcasting careers begin!!

Image - BADGER BADGER!
cwathen

Why is it that in almost every town in the UK, the cars with the really loud 'boom-box' music systems seem to be owned by young twentysomethings who drive clapped-out Citroen Saxos or ageing Ford Fiestas?
Probably because once they've paid ridiculous sums of money for their sound system, the only car they can afford to put it in is a clapped out Saxo or Fiesta.

Boston must be a posh area then Kat, where I live only rich janners can afford a Citroen Saxo - most still have to make do with a Vauxhall Nova 1.2L (rebadged as an SRi, obviously) with alloy wheels worth more than the car (and of course, the sound system worth more than the wheels and the car) and some attrocious body kit designed for another car held on with no more nails.

The current in-vogue 'mod' that a townie will do to his Nova has truly got me stumped; I'm seeing an awful lot of cases where perfectly serviceable windscreen wipers have been ripped out and replaced with a single vertical wiper that rapidly moves from side to side (but not all the way down), wiping a sort of trapezoidal area. Aswell as obscuring the windscreen, they don't appear to be very effective when in use either.
nwtv2003

cwathen wrote:Boston must be a posh area then Kat, where I live only rich janners can afford a Citroen Saxo - most still have to make do with a Vauxhall Nova 1.2L (rebadged as an SRi, obviously) with alloy wheels worth more than the car (and of course, the sound system worth more than the wheels and the car) and some attrocious body kit designed for another car held on with no more nails.
As much as I hate to brag but you should see the amount of BMW's and really new cars down our street! :lol:

Though Katherine is right, where ever you go in the UK, you constantly see these losers, I don't see why they bother, they probably won't have the car for long anyway.

Though these, Burberry hats, NY Knicks hats, Addidas trackies and huge gold chains, they are great identifiers for scallies. (We never call them chavs, just scally up here)

Though I went out into Warrington town centre last night, I was expecting loads of scallies to be out, but suprisingly there were few if any! Though obviously many places have dress codes.
cwathen

Though Katherine is right, where ever you go in the UK, you constantly see these losers, I don't see why they bother, they probably won't have the car for long anyway.
Yeah the 'why do they it factor' is a big one. They've bought some old rust bucket for a few hundred quid, and they've then spent several thousand pounds on 'modding it'. But all they've got for their trouble (and money) is an old rust bucket which to some deranged individuals looks sporty. But with the money they've spent trying to pretend that their Nova is a sports car, they could actually have bought a sports car with.

And any money spent on max-power inspired mods goes straight down the plughole - an E reg Nova worth a few hundred quid with several thousand pounds worth of modifications and bolt on crap is still an E reg Nova worth a few hundred quid; it won't suddenly come with a £4000 price tag because of it's extra bits.
dvboy

Chris wrote:Don't know if anyone's heard this, but there was a documentary on Steve Lamacq's show last week about the Chav.

Thanks for that, great documentary. Hope you don't mind me linking to it on my blog.
Chris

dvboy wrote:
Chris wrote:Don't know if anyone's heard this, but there was a documentary on Steve Lamacq's show last week about the Chav.

Thanks for that, great documentary. Hope you don't mind me linking to it on my blog.
No problem! Go ahead! ;)