AGP Graphics Cards - Help.

Bail

You may remember I posted a while ago asking about graphics cards and such. Well I have now brought a "Sapphire Radeon 9800 SE" which arrived this morning from scan.co.uk

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductI ... ctID=82220

I opened the PC, Poped it inside, powered up, "beeeep, beep beep" (monitor also didn't turn on) hmmm, tried the monitor lead in the on-borad same thing, took out card, worked fine. Went into BIOS turned off on-board put card in, beep same error. So I am at a loss now what to do?

I flashed the BIOS to get on-board graphics back, (how I'm using the PC now and the card is just sitting next to me, and I much rather it was in the PC.

Any ideas?[/url]
shaun

Assuming you're using an Award BIOS, it means that the motherboard isn't detecting the card - is it firmly pushed in? Have you connected it to the power supply? (there should be a socket on the side closest to the hard drive(s)

(wow, first post for yonks)
Bail

Done and done. Although I have no got it working it seems to have killed my windows install. Dam technology.
Bail

Well it worked, kinda but just using the drivers not the software, i rebooted and suddenly windows cant find windows, I rebooted and went into config do da and sorted that, then windows boots but cant find anything so I format, now the instal lwork work because it cant find something.

I've given up. dam things i wanna get drunk. im depressed.
Neil Jones

Remember when I posted in the previous thread abuot the arrangement of the gold metal contacts on the bottom of the AGP card and about how they vary depending on which AGP types the motherboard supports?

Well, do your AGP gold metal contacts on your AGP card match those on the board? If you remember there was a differing arrangement of a "separator" for differing AGP speed support.
Bail

Yup it fixs and works its just its software that killed windows. Its called as "universal" so it'll fit and adjust to diffrent types of agp, the monitor is displaying stuff from the card, but the pc dont work now so its fairly pointless.
shaun

nodnirG kraM wrote:Is the chipset actually compatible with your mobo? I remember having to fix a mate's computer once where he had a VIA chipset motherboard and had just bought an nForce chipset graphics card.
<pedant>
nForce is the name of NVIDIAs AMD 32 chipset - you must be thinking of GeForce.
</pedant>
Neil Jones

Bail wrote:Yup it fixs and works its just its software that killed windows. Its called as "universal" so it'll fit and adjust to diffrent types of agp, the monitor is displaying stuff from the card, but the pc dont work now so its fairly pointless.
Um, it shouldn't really have done that.

Why could you not use System Restore to roll the system back to pre that software state? It should work in Safe Mode.
Bail

Windows was unable to return to a previous restore, no files have been changed please contact your system admin...

Or something along the lines. I hate pc's now.