The BIG MetroPoll - IN or OUT ?

Are you IN or OUT ?

IN
71%
OUT
29%

Total votes: 45
Steve in Pudsey

Been having quite an interesting exchange of emails with my MP about this farce. ( Not the MP my username implies)

I suggested that the fact that Leave won based on lies cannot go unrecognised, he tells me that he chose not to actively campaign because of dodgy claims from both sides including the "threat of world war three".

Which might be fair enough if that WW3 line wasn't Boris Johnson's soundbyte reaction to a Cameron speech that made for better headlines than what was actually said.

If somebody as politically engaged as an MP has fallen for the bullshit - and he's an ex journo so should know a thing or two about spin - how can the public at large be expected to come to an informed decision of how to vote?
WillPS

Unfortunately many constituency MPs will tow the line rather than acknowledge that it's rubbish.
Martin Phillp

So we're now in the situation after Boris not putting himself up for the leadership where a Remainer could be the PM negotiating to get out of the EU.
TVF's London Lite.
madmusician

Martin Phillp wrote:So we're now in the situation after Boris not putting himself up for the leadership where a Remainer could be the PM negotiating to get out of the EU.
I'm in favour of that tbh. We want now to get a sensible negotiation going - no silly, overblown rhetoric of the UKIP style (or even the rightwards edges of the Tory party style). We want Britain to still be involved within Europe and the world, we want sensible trade agreements and a sensible handling of the economy. There needs to be a sensible debate about these matters. It might be that joining the single market (obviously at a cost) would be the best option. Indeed, it is my opinion that it is the best option.

I was staunchly remain, but I now feel that we are where we are and I now want to see somebody progressive leading the negotiation in the direction of a Britain integrated with the world. The likes of Daniel Hannan (although I disagree with him on much) have said some sensible things along these lines since the vote last week.
Steve in Pudsey

I think the position needs to be that if the deal the country was promised - access to the free market without free movement - can not be achieved then we mustn't leave.

In some ways it's a pity Boris won't have to pick up the pieces.
barcode

Why the hell should it cost us anything for a trade deal? It benefits everyone, but to pay is a complete an utter joke. Its not like its all one way. IE German car, or French wine or all the other stuff which goes both ways.
dosxuk

Because trade levies are a good way of protecting national interests. By making it more expensive to buy from abroad, it encourages people to buy locally, supporting jobs and the economy. Just look at the complaints everytime we buy a train from Germany instead of Derby.

But the flip side is, we don't want others to put a levy on our goods, otherwise it puts foreigners of buying our stuff. And since there's more of them than there is of us, we end up with free trade agreements.

Although in today's international world, where its easily possible to make more money out of foreigners than locals, does everyone need those protections?
WillPS

barcode

At least hes the same as he always been: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50sLS2T-zzc

Mole Vally has never been a Lib dems seat.