iOS 8/iPhone 6/Apple Watch

bilky asko

Philip wrote:They provide a brand new product in the form of the Apple Watch and still people say Apple can't innovate. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
Wait, have all these other smart watches that I've seen been mirages then? It's not an innovative idea in and of itself.
Critique

bilky asko wrote:
Philip wrote:They provide a brand new product in the form of the Apple Watch and still people say Apple can't innovate. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
Wait, have all these other smart watches that I've seen been mirages then? It's not an innovative idea in and of itself.
Other smart watches have been released but you can argue they've been innovative by not just using the touch screen like other smart watches have done. And technically it is a brand new product... for Apple.
Philip

bilky asko wrote:
Of course. But look at what MP3 players were like before the iPod, they were mainly techie/professional devices. Same with smartphones before the iPhone, same with tablets before the iPad.
bilky asko

Each of those, however, was a reinvigoration of an unpopular, or simply largely unknown, sector. The smartwatch is far more clearly a "me too" - the competitors are on a par to Apple's device, at least.
Philip

bilky asko wrote:Each of those, however, was a reinvigoration of an unpopular, or simply largely unknown, sector. The smartwatch is far more clearly a "me too" - the competitors are on a par to Apple's device, at least.
Specs wise, I would agree. However most of the smartwatches on sale, specifically Android Wear, just appear to be your phone on your wrist, nothing that would appeal to regular consumers outside of the tech world. They're useless without a phone. Apple has yet to really show how their watch will differ from this, but apparently it will be able to exist separately from your phone with its own internal storage (iPod on your wrist?).

(I'm not saying he's all-knowing but once again Gruber's thoughts extend on my own opinions http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/apple_watch)
Alexia

Philip wrote: They're useless without a phone. Apple has yet to really show how their watch will differ from this, but apparently it will be able to exist separately from your phone with its own internal storage (iPod on your wrist?).
So an iPod nano then? Only strapped to your arm where it will get bumped, scratched etc.

You need an iPhone 5 or better to use an Apple Watch to its full ability.
Philip

Alexia wrote:
Philip wrote: They're useless without a phone. Apple has yet to really show how their watch will differ from this, but apparently it will be able to exist separately from your phone with its own internal storage (iPod on your wrist?).
So an iPod nano then? Only strapped to your arm where it will get bumped, scratched etc.

An iPod nano with much improved functionality (and also that model of iPod nano is no longer on sale, they've gone back to a tall-but-narrow design again).

Having an iPhone is a requirement for having the watch but it's not clear yet just how tied to your phone it has to be. Apple have apparently been developing this for three years so I would be disappointed if it just turned out to be your iPhone notifications on your wrist.
Alexia

Philip wrote:
Alexia wrote:

An iPod nano with much improved functionality (and also that model of iPod nano is no longer on sale, they've gone back to a tall-but-narrow design again).

Having an iPhone is a requirement for having the watch but it's not clear yet just how tied to your phone it has to be. Apple have apparently been developing this for three years so I would be disappointed if it just turned out to be your iPhone notifications on your wrist.
A quick browse of the Wiki article indicates it will be:
- a fitness monitor
- AppleTV remote control
- walkie talkie :shock:
- camera viewfinder
and I'm guessing
- a watch

Basically, it's for every Star Trek and Thunderbirds fan out there.
bilky asko

Philip wrote:
bilky asko wrote:Each of those, however, was a reinvigoration of an unpopular, or simply largely unknown, sector. The smartwatch is far more clearly a "me too" - the competitors are on a par to Apple's device, at least.
Specs wise, I would agree. However most of the smartwatches on sale, specifically Android Wear, just appear to be your phone on your wrist, nothing that would appeal to regular consumers outside of the tech world. They're useless without a phone. Apple has yet to really show how their watch will differ from this, but apparently it will be able to exist separately from your phone with its own internal storage (iPod on your wrist?).

(I'm not saying he's all-knowing but once again Gruber's thoughts extend on my own opinions http://daringfireball.net/2014/09/apple_watch)
There is (limited) functionality of the Moto 360, for example, without a connected Android phone. Considering there is absolutely no indication of the ability of the Apple Watch to work standalone at all; all indications are that it will be an extension of the phone on your wrist. Not that it's a bad idea (I'd rather like to own a smartwatch), but it's not an original one (and I see very little innovation on Apple's part, other than the scroll wheel in the guise of a crown - which is hardly groundbreaking).
martindtanderson

Having spent the morning setting up my Brother's iPhone 6 - the Yawn still stands...
Critique

martindtanderson wrote:Having spent the morning setting up my Brother's iPhone 6 - the Yawn still stands...
Yes but you are undeniably a Microsoft fanboy so whatever Apple do will not please you as you actively do not want to be pleased or impressed by Apple! Windows Phone 8 is doing okay for itself but is not in anyway a runaway success, yet you appear from previous posts wowed by that!