Yet another Morrisons thread

Philip Cobbold

I suppose they've had to change the format a bit depending on where the store is located. The first trial stores got all their fresh products like bread and meat made at a main store, and then shipped out to the Locals. Plus these trial stores were situated fairly close to a main Morrisons store. We've had one open round here, and there's no main Morrisons for absolutely miles, so it wouldn't be practical shipping fresh products 20 odd miles from a main store.
Critique

We're set to have an M Local open just outside our town centre, right opposite a Tesco Express, ITV Anglia's old Ipswich base and the current home for BBC Radio Suffolk. It's going to fill an old BlockBusters and will have quite a bit of space to play with, but I do question the worth of having it at all. Morrisons is most definitely in fourth place around here, with the main store being quite a way further out (from me at least) than the ASDA, Sainsbury's and Tesco stores - and unlike a snazzy new Sainsbury's Local that opened in an old pub the other week, which I've popped in and very nice, I can't see the M Local as such an attractive offering.
thegeek

nodnirG kraM wrote:I don't see why they've borrowed Sainsbury's sub-brand - Mini Morrisons would fit in nicely with their M! I rather like the Little Waitrose branding.
I still think they'd have been better going with "Wee Waitrose"
all new Phil

There's a new Morrisons store opening nearby next week but, for some reason, they are marketing it as a "Food Retail Warehouse". Not sure if it's a new concept, or just some marketing bullshit, but none of the leaflets I've seen are particularly on-brand, and they're pushing the 'new shopping experience' angle.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote:There's a new Morrisons store opening nearby next week but, for some reason, they are marketing it as a "Food Retail Warehouse". Not sure if it's a new concept, or just some marketing bullshit, but none of the leaflets I've seen are particularly on-brand, and they're pushing the 'new shopping experience' angle.
Sounds interesting. What's the location, and could you scan some of these leaflets in?
all new Phil

It's at Deepdale in Preston. I haven't got a scanner, but it uses something that's almost a typewriter font, as well as a big graphic that says something like "we want to make you smile".

At the risk of racial stereotyping, I wonder if it's aimed towards Asian people? It is in an area with a pretty big Asian community. I can't find any details on the Morrisons website as of yet, but it opens Wednesday. They've had staff training in the other Preston store over the past week.
Pete

Could you take a photo of the leaflets with your phone?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

Oh yeah :)

It's so ridiculously off-brand it hurts.
WillPS

I expect it'll last 6 months before they stop referring to it as that; and a year until it's essentially a standard store (perhaps with some non-standard signage).
robschneider

Which is a good thing when driving through Leicester, Birmingham or Bradford on a dark night.
Sput

Why's that, Rob?
Knight knight