High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Sput

And there was me thinking one corner of Manchester was crazy to have three HMVS when it actually had 4.

Only 3 now, mind. SENSIBLE.
Knight knight
paul_hadley

WillPS wrote:Looks like Best Buy is set to disappear on Sunday:
http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/stores.aspx

I doubt there'll be many bargains left now - the amount of people taking tellys with only 10% off was quite something!
I went to the Thurrock store on Saturday and there was hardly anything left.

Some bargains to be had on a few smaller things they had left though - 70% cables, 70% off DVDs, etc.

Most TVs left were just display models only.

3/4 of the shop was cordened off with just the small selection of goods left at the front.
madmusician

WillPS wrote:
Pete wrote:
WillPS wrote:But you must have been, like, 10 then? Unless I've got your age outrageously wrong...
11, and I have a good memory.
I have a good memory but the concept I had of shopping when I was doing my Year 6 SATS (particularly at a boring grown-up shop like Waterstones) wouldn't compare very well to the concept I enjoy today. It's like when I see people on Facebook moaning that Toys R Us isn't as good as it was way back when - of course it isn't; it's not meant for you any more!

I've noticed there's a lot less of that "feel every word" stuff HMV were totting out though - I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to using the old serif logo in fact.
Waterstones is reverting to its original logo in the Baskerville serif font and dropping its apostrophe in order to reflect a “truer” and confident picture of the business, the company announced today (11th January). Waterstones' managing director James Daunt said dropping the apostrophe would make the brand more versatile in the digital age of communication and underline the fact that hundreds of people now work for the company.
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/water ... rophe.html
Philip Cobbold

Lucky that the majority of stores were yet to have their signage changed to reflect the new logo then.
Philip

Some good news for once! I hated that new logo - the serif font just suits the Waterstones chain better and what it sells. The favicon hasn't changed though.
WillPS

Don't really get the whole Fopp thing. Since HMV have taken over it's just been their stock, their offers, their prices rounded up on old Fopp fittings.

The ex-Zavvi in Nottingham also closed last year after a year under HMV. Definitely was a misguided purchase - since HMV will have had to have paid the redundancies on a good few long-serving Virgin staff.
madmusician wrote:
WillPS wrote:me saying something will happen
that thing happening
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/water ... rophe.html
Pachow!
Andrew

Everyone said at the time that the new font wasn't suitable for a store like Waterstones.
Ben

That's a very sensible rebrand, what's more it's a very swift one too as the new, er old logo is on the website already and is already on signs at most branches.
m-in-m

Included in today's Home Retail Group (owners of Argos and Homebase) interim management statement is that:
The Group will be closing its UK homewares trial format, HomeStore&More, at the end of February 2012
They have stores in Abingdon, Aylesbury, Cambridge and Harlow. The Cambridge store also includes a mezzaine for Bed Store & More. Not sure if the other stores also do as this was a later addition.
Sput

I WONDERED what that shop was about. It's utter shite featuring overpriced furniture and naff tat. It does nothing well.
Knight knight