Olympics. Meh.

Sput

How's the migraine, Chie?
Knight knight
Gavin Scott
Admin

It screams anguish, torture and decay.
Cache

Well no, of course some tourists may not want to make the 20 minute journey from central London, but others will, plus with Westfield out that way as well, there's another incentive, along with a royal park. It was believed that people wouldn't want to go out to Shepherd's Bush for Westfield, but lo and behold, it's always packed. I think you forget that most tourists are like cattle. And yes, while Stratford City was planned before the Olympic bid was even considered, it looked very unlikely to go ahead due to the vast cost.

I'm sorry for supporting the Olympics, but there's no need to get angry at me. I didn't design the Orbit, did I? And anyway, it's a free piece of public art. I struggle to see why that is a bad thing. Plus, we're getting lots of new sport venues, a new university, and hopefully a legacy (although perhaps not a sporting one) for years to come. The lack of housing in east London is clear; trust me, I've spent the last six months looking for a flat there, so I seriously doubt that Stratford City will be unoccupied.
Sput

Does this actually fix the issue of a housing shortage, or does it make it worse by building attractions, workplaces and facilities that increase the demand even more?

I'm just sort of musing out loud here
Knight knight
Chie

Mattarz wrote:I'm sorry for supporting the Olympics, but there's no need to get angry at me. I didn't design the Orbit, did I? And anyway, it's a free piece of public art. I struggle to see why that is a bad thing.
Please don't take anything I say personally. I just loathe that monument to ugliness and anguish.

When I think we could have had something more like this...

It's a travesty, really is.
woah

I must agree with Chie - that monument is absolutely hideous, it looks like a piece of melted construction equipment. Such a shame, when as you say something much nicer could have been there.
Chie

Sput wrote:How's the migraine, Chie?
Oh, I'm over the migraine. I've got a painful UTI now. The other week when I said I've never felt better, well I think I jinxed it! Although it could have been an STD so I'm just relieved it wasn't one of those.

Such is life.
Cache

Chie wrote:
Mattarz wrote:I'm sorry for supporting the Olympics, but there's no need to get angry at me. I didn't design the Orbit, did I? And anyway, it's a free piece of public art. I struggle to see why that is a bad thing.
Please don't take anything I say personally. I just loathe that monument to ugliness and anguish.

When I think we could have had something more like this...

It's a travesty, really is.
I would much rather have something like that. I agree that the Orbit is ugly, but it's also very unique. Plus, it's completely free.
Gavin Scott
Admin

Chie wrote:
Does Mr Mattarz get special consideration because you fancy him?

All of your posts to me seem intended to offend.
Chie

The Olympic torch was unveiled today.

If there is one thing that really annoys me about the Olympics, it's that everything has to represent something.

The torch has three sides, symbolic of the three occasions London has staged the games (*yawn*) and 8000 holes, one to represent each torchbearer. Lord Coe said: "Integral to the design are the 8000 circles, a lasting representation of the torchbearer stories of personal achievement or contribution to their local community that will be showcased with every step of the relay."

Ugh.
Nick Harvey
God

Penny Smith has just summed it up nicely on The One Show.

She described it as an enormous cheese grater.