Old supermarket signage

Pete

james2001 wrote: Wed 08 May, 2024 13.24 The one at Dundee Riverside still has one as well... which is interesting as I don't think that store was even built until the mid-late 90s, after they'd stopped being a normal part of Tesco architecture (though maybe the store's older than it looks).

And the Tesco in Monifieth still had the old WM Low celing until only a few years back.
Riverside matched the design of the Homebase next door so I'm not 100% sure if it was all Tesco architecture. They'd not fit another bay of parking in anyhow so there's little point removing it. Anyhow they seem to be spending the budget of crossrail building the worlds most complicated fence next to the railway right now...
"He has to be larger than bacon"
james2001

I didn't even know there ever was a homebase there! It was gone by 2008, the furthest back Google streetview went, and I've only been going to Dundee since 2011 so never saw it.
Charlie Wells

My local Waitrose has a somewhat dated frontage, and it's logo hasn't been updated to include "And Partners".
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2285103 ... ?entry=ttu

It also has the slightly odd situation of having two shop units on the back of it, which have never been occupied. In the below the fronts are covered by an ad board, which has since been removed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2283445 ... ?entry=ttu
I can only assume these two shop units were a condition of planning, rather than something Waitrose wanted. It's a pity they've never used that space, as it could be used either as a proper Waitrose cafe are or selling some John Lewis products. It wouldn't surprise me if these days the first floor has a lot of surplus space too.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Pete

james2001 wrote: Fri 10 May, 2024 10.03 I didn't even know there ever was a homebase there! It was gone by 2008, the furthest back Google streetview went, and I've only been going to Dundee since 2011 so never saw it.
Yes it was demolished around 2008 to make way for the houses that have been being built for 500 years.

I don't think it was open for long. It was replaced by the mega homebase that opened just before it was sold by Sainsburys to Home Retail Group which is now B&Q Warehouse at Kingsway West (that's why its a weird shape with separate entrances and exits).

Then Homebase moved to a smaller (but still big) unit in the retail park, which is now a B&M after the Budgens fiasco.
"He has to be larger than bacon"