Old supermarket signage

Pete

james2001 wrote: Wed 08 May, 2024 13.24 The one at Dundee Riverside still has one as well... which is interesting as I don't think that store was even built until the mid-late 90s, after they'd stopped being a normal part of Tesco architecture (though maybe the store's older than it looks).

And the Tesco in Monifieth still had the old WM Low celing until only a few years back.
Riverside matched the design of the Homebase next door so I'm not 100% sure if it was all Tesco architecture. They'd not fit another bay of parking in anyhow so there's little point removing it. Anyhow they seem to be spending the budget of crossrail building the worlds most complicated fence next to the railway right now...
"He has to be larger than bacon"
james2001

I didn't even know there ever was a homebase there! It was gone by 2008, the furthest back Google streetview went, and I've only been going to Dundee since 2011 so never saw it.
Charlie Wells

My local Waitrose has a somewhat dated frontage, and it's logo hasn't been updated to include "And Partners".
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2285103 ... ?entry=ttu

It also has the slightly odd situation of having two shop units on the back of it, which have never been occupied. In the below the fronts are covered by an ad board, which has since been removed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.2283445 ... ?entry=ttu
I can only assume these two shop units were a condition of planning, rather than something Waitrose wanted. It's a pity they've never used that space, as it could be used either as a proper Waitrose cafe are or selling some John Lewis products. It wouldn't surprise me if these days the first floor has a lot of surplus space too.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Pete

james2001 wrote: Fri 10 May, 2024 10.03 I didn't even know there ever was a homebase there! It was gone by 2008, the furthest back Google streetview went, and I've only been going to Dundee since 2011 so never saw it.
Yes it was demolished around 2008 to make way for the houses that have been being built for 500 years.

I don't think it was open for long. It was replaced by the mega homebase that opened just before it was sold by Sainsburys to Home Retail Group which is now B&Q Warehouse at Kingsway West (that's why its a weird shape with separate entrances and exits).

Then Homebase moved to a smaller (but still big) unit in the retail park, which is now a B&M after the Budgens fiasco.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
AGuyFromUpNorth

The Iceland in Holywell still has the old 90's shop signage I believe.

As for Morrisons, all store were rebranded with the new logo on the signage between 2015 and 2020, apart from the one in Bolton which still has the old yellow signs. The inside is a time-warp as well, still having the old-style Market Street setup with the wooden architecture and ancient signs from 15+ years ago.
GeekyJames

Sainsbury's in Hedge End, Southampton still has the old SAINSBURY'S logo on the entrance to the staff car park as seen here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.9208299 ... entry=ttu
james2001

If you pan a bit to the right, you can see a sign pointing to the M&S staff car park with their pre-2000 logo on as well.

From what I've seen, I think that Hedge End store was, when it first opened in late 1991, the first to have the "J Sainsbury" signage in orange, rather then yellow.

Feel a bit sad though as I went in that store the last time I went to visit my friend who lived down there... he died earlier this year.

Wasn't there an old thread on here showing one of the shopping centres in Southampton where they had signs for John Lewis and Marks and Spencer and they'd basically put the signs together by mixing and matching the letters from the different signs so each logo was a mix of fonts from each other?

Edit: Yes, found it: viewtopic.php?p=126672

John Lewis's logo has the N from Marks and Spencer and the E and S from Waterstone's, Waterstone's has both Es, the R and the second S from Marks & Spencer and Marks & Spencer has the S, the first E and the N from John Lewis and the second R and E from Waterstones. Good job to whoever put that sign up!

Funnily enough the person who originally posted that photo originally didn't notice the jumbled up letters, just that all three logos were out of date, surely they fail Metropol?
AndrewPSSP

A warning this post will be filled with many, many images.
With old store signage, I saw some ancient signage in M&S Camden Town Simply Food the other day.

Both Bluewater and Stratford stores still have old M&S signage

...and the branch of Poundland in Woolwich still has the ghost of Marks & Spencer. Not only just the exterior design, but the name is etched into the marble, and they still use the M&S light fixtures.
Also attached are some images from Lewisham with the same light fixtures, I don't think many shops still have this unaltered light layout.

I think it's a massive shame the business don't invest in building beautiful stores anymore, opting for metal boxes and neon lights and light boxes instead. Although of course, doing shopping outside isn't as prominent as it used to be.

My own M&S still has its own share of old signage, although I may wait until I leave to share that one.
Philip

That last photo with the light boxes is very nostalgic... I remember M&S being like that.

Saw a bench outside a Waitrose today that had the all caps pre-2004 logo on it. Everything else has been upgraded to the current "& Partners" look.
AndrewPSSP

The floor tiles in the Foods section in M&S Lewisham has little green diamonds in them - I'm not aware of the vintage but certainly haven't seen them elsewhere.
Probably doesn't fall under the remit of 'old signage'.
Haven't a picture of them but will make sure to next time I'm in there.

On a related note, the Simply Food on Tottenham Court Road near Goodge Street stn have these old vinyls(?) on their doors as well as some wonderful green mosaic tiles on the exterior
https://up.metropol247.co.uk/AndrewPSSP ... 551038.jpg