The rise of the dodgy shop

Dr Lobster*

Now, I live in a fairly quiet rural area, but have friends and family dotted around various small market towns nearby.

One thing I’ve noticed, really since lockdown is the proliferation of shops that sell nothing in particular - fizzy drinks, prime, vapes or barber shops that just seem to be open at very strange times.

Like yesterday, went to see family, driving back - 8.30pm on Boxing Day… Turkish barber shop open. Just one guy in there, sitting in a chair scrolling through is phone.

Then, again perhaps a little bit later - small shop, on the edge of a market down, open at around 9pm, a sweet shop that also sells vapes.

During lockdown we also had a shop, which did “alternative treatments’ light therapy, massages, etc- that would be open 7 days a week, until 11pm - just one guy in there, sitting on a computer behind a desk. That one did randomly just vanish though.

I’m guessing these are just front for laundering money from drugs or something else, right?

Do you have any of these in your town?
Charlie Wells

It's notable when some of those shops have a notice on the door/window stating "CASH ONLY". Definitely no chance of a tax dodge there.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
all new Phil

There’s one in my village. An Off License with very flashy-looking signage, rammed full of stock including lots of alcopops and a baffling array of sweets. Exactly the same opening times as the Co-op a few doors up and with higher prices. Always empty. Brand new Mercs parked round the back. Make it make sense.
Beep

Dr Lobster* wrote: Wed 27 Dec, 2023 16.35 I’m guessing these are just front for laundering money from drugs or something else, right?
Yes.

See also the hand car wash, cash only.

You get these a lot in cities, and it's baffling when you see a barber shop open 24/7 (cash only) with nobody in it, no chance of anyone being in it and one guy sitting there watching TikTok videos. There were a couple of these in the Finsbury Park area when I worked there last year, and I think I saw one customer go in to one when I was on nights. I suppose if you get your hair cut and pay £1,500 for it - it becomes difficult to argue it's drugs money.
NiKepp

I'm saving just £2.47 a week so I can one day buy my very own BMW with the tinted windows mod. I've never seen anyone else allowed anywhere near the totally-legit-and-above-board barber shops round here without it. Wish me luck!
I'm on the David Lees Honor Roll!
all new Phil

Have to say I’ve not seen any that say they’re cash only? I don’t think any of this is a tax thing.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Fri 29 Dec, 2023 15.19 Have to say I’ve not seen any that say they’re cash only? I don’t think any of this is a tax thing.
Depends if the rates are being paid or not:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tes-owners
cdd

What about those makeshift launderettes, which are just an unstaffed former fish bar with a couple of coin-ops plonked inside.

I guess CeX might also be seen as a dodgy shop that has taken over every high street but I always manage to find some tat I like in there.
Pete

cdd wrote: Thu 11 Jan, 2024 22.52 What about those makeshift launderettes, which are just an unstaffed former fish bar with a couple of coin-ops plonked inside.
are these not encouraged by the videos on tiktok that imply you make a fortune from coin operated laundrettes despite the fact its all american and based either in new york or trailer parks, neither of which are comparable to the majority of UK locations?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
scottishtv

cdd wrote: Thu 11 Jan, 2024 22.52 What about those makeshift launderettes, which are just an unstaffed former fish bar with a couple of coin-ops plonked inside.
Yes, but do they do duvets?

cdd

scottishtv wrote: Sat 13 Jan, 2024 21.42Yes, but do they do duvets?
No, because nobody can get those into the bags.

They do sometimes sell fruit out the front though, so you wouldn’t leave disappointed.