The Technology Thread

Blewatter

Generic technology thread for generic technology talk. And now a statement that will date this thread forever:

Those mad cats finally went and done it. USB C is coming to the iPhone. Took them long enough.
Martin Phillp

Helped by EU rules enforcing USB-C on handsets sold in the EU, one of their largest markets. There was no way Apple would continue using their own connectors in the UK for example when they'll be distributing them to our neighbours who are either in the EU or part of the Schengen area like Switzerland and Norway.
TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

Tech companies have to introduce user replacement batteries on devices by 2027 although I reckon there will be a few loop holes to ensure it won't be like before when phones had removable batteries.
Dr Lobster*

I think phones have become rather boring now, I went from changing my phone at least every couple of years at most (like I have been doing since the late 1990) to not upgrading my phone since 2019 (still have an iPhone 11).

There isn't too much more I think the companies can take them... the cameras are better (on the face of it) but image quality and dynamic range fall apart pretty quickly, and the screens have got so good they don't need any more pixels.

My friend had a Galaxy fold thing, looked cool, but so fragile, had dints on the screen after only a couple of weeks.

better battery life would be good though.
Martin Phillp

Samsung have realised that customers are keeping handsets for longer. Mine which I purchased in 2022 goes up to Android 16 for OS support.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

I've just replaced my Pixel 4a (a 2020 model) because the software support has run out. It's otherwise fine. At least they've said they'll give me £100 for it, so hopefully it's not going to be e-waste.

(I say I've just replaced it - I mean I bought a new handset in the Google birthday sale the other day, but I'm so unenthused by the idea of getting it set up that I've not actually taken it out of the box yet. Same goes for the wireless earbuds, which I've had to buy because apparently 3.5mm jacks are obsolete too.)
Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Mon 18 Sep, 2023 17.53 I've just replaced my Pixel 4a (a 2020 model) because the software support has run out. It's otherwise fine. At least they've said they'll give me £100 for it, so hopefully it's not going to be e-waste.

(I say I've just replaced it - I mean I bought a new handset in the Google birthday sale the other day, but I'm so unenthused by the idea of getting it set up that I've not actually taken it out of the box yet. Same goes for the wireless earbuds, which I've had to buy because apparently 3.5mm jacks are obsolete too.)
My handset purchased in 2022 didn't come with a 3.5mm jack either. I've bought a USB-C/3.5mm jack converter which works ok, but my Bluetooth headphones do the job a lot better.
TVF's London Lite.
BBC TV Centre

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 19 Sep, 2023 00.19
thegeek wrote: Mon 18 Sep, 2023 17.53 I've just replaced my Pixel 4a (a 2020 model) because the software support has run out. It's otherwise fine. At least they've said they'll give me £100 for it, so hopefully it's not going to be e-waste.

My handset purchased in 2022 didn't come with a 3.5mm jack either. I've bought a USB-C/3.5mm jack converter which works ok, but my Bluetooth headphones do the job a lot better.
I'm always convinced the removal of 3.5mm jacks is just to get people to buy more headphones rather than anything else.

A good pair of wired earphones will have lasted many years with careful use, whereas these wireless ones will have a very finite amount of time.

The battery inside it eventually doesn't hold much charge and isn't user replaceable, therefore necessitating replacement. Kerching!
JAS84

Non-user replaceable batteries should be banned on the grounds it creates more e-waste.

And it's odd - top of the line phones lack the 3.5mm port now, but my cheap one bought only last year still does have it. Cheaper phones wouldn't normally be expected to have features expensive ones don't!
Martin Phillp

My mid-range Samsung didn't come with a charger either.
TVF's London Lite.
Charlie Wells

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 21 Sep, 2023 03.24 My mid-range Samsung didn't come with a charger either.
I think most of them now only come with a USB cable and not the plug. The excuse given that it reduces waste, as many people already have a plug and some plug their phone into a USB power socket these days. Rather conveniently by not including the plug it potentially avoids needing different versions for each country. It also almost halves the depth of the box, meaning they can transport more devices in less space, which reduces cost.
JAS84 wrote: Thu 21 Sep, 2023 01.22 Non-user replaceable batteries should be banned on the grounds it creates more e-waste.

And it's odd - top of the line phones lack the 3.5mm port now, but my cheap one bought only last year still does have it. Cheaper phones wouldn't normally be expected to have features expensive ones don't!
The current Galaxy XCover6 Pro still comes with a removable battery. Admittedly this model is probably aimed more towards industrial users.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."