The New Real Thing

Pete

I find it interesting how conservative the cocacola freestyle machines in the UK are compared to the absurd number of combinations in other countries.

Couple of related points - coca cola are bringing out a smaller freestyle machine, comparable to the pepsi/tango ones you see in subway but an interesting feature is that it comes with reusable flasks for eat in rather than everyone using a disposable cup.

In other news - I've noticed posh pop companies like fevertree / fentimans are now going all out on aluminium cans rather than glass bottles. I wonder if this is because alu is cheaper to transport and easier to recycle allowing them to mask price increases due to inflation.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Philip

I’m sorry but Pepsi Max is ghastly. Just awful. Tastes absolutely nothing like Pepsi.

Coke Zero is fine, but unsatisfying.

Pepsi > Coke > Coke Zero > Hell > Pepsi Max
Jonwo

Pete wrote: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 10.26 I find it interesting how conservative the cocacola freestyle machines in the UK are compared to the absurd number of combinations in other countries.

Couple of related points - coca cola are bringing out a smaller freestyle machine, comparable to the pepsi/tango ones you see in subway but an interesting feature is that it comes with reusable flasks for eat in rather than everyone using a disposable cup.

In other news - I've noticed posh pop companies like fevertree / fentimans are now going all out on aluminium cans rather than glass bottles. I wonder if this is because alu is cheaper to transport and easier to recycle allowing them to mask price increases due to inflation.
Coca Cola already has smaller freestyle like dispenser at places like Nando's and smaller Odeon cinemas, this I could see new Freestyle machine ending up there.

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot but how do the Freestyle work? I know with dispensers at cinemas and fast food chains, it's done via syrup in a bag connected to pipes and it mixes with soda when you press the button
all new Phil

Jonwo wrote: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 15.32
Pete wrote: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 10.26 I find it interesting how conservative the cocacola freestyle machines in the UK are compared to the absurd number of combinations in other countries.

Coca Cola already has smaller freestyle like dispenser at places like Nando's and smaller Odeon cinemas, this I could see new Freestyle machine ending up there.

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot but how do the Freestyle work? I know with dispensers at cinemas and fast food chains, it's done via syrup in a bag connected to pipes and it mixes with soda when you press the button
You have a few different bits to it. Inside the lower door (under the screen) you have 36 flavour cartridges slot into place for each flavour. For things like Coca Cola (ie core drinks) they tend to be made up of multiple ‘parts’ - so there is a Coke 1 cartridge, Coke 2 etc. Then there are individual flavour ones (lime, cherry etc). Each cartridge is about an inch wide and 8 or 9 inches long.

Under that you then have ‘NNS’ syrup which is essentially sweetener syrup. Behind the machine (usually in a back room) you also have a sugar syrup bag in box. A big ice machine sits on top of the unit.

So for example for a Coke Zero with lime, it would combine Coke Zero 1, Coke Zero 2, lime, NNS and carbonated water.
WillPS

Philip wrote: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 11.01 I’m sorry but Pepsi Max is ghastly. Just awful. Tastes absolutely nothing like Pepsi.

Imagine being this wound up about pop.
Blewatter

Forgive me for going off into an; albeit related, tangent on this, but I have found that a lot of shops I visit still sell their full fat drinks at the same price as diet variants. For example, the COOP near my girlfriend's house, you can buy a 500ml bottle of Pepsi Diet/Max/Max Cherry/Max Raspberry for £1.45. Regular Pepsi? Same price. Coca Cola: £1.80. Coca Cola Zero Sugar: £1.70. Alright, that one is a reduction in cost, but not enough to make me switch.

And then there is Iceland's silly deals. You could buy either a 1 Litre Bottle of Full Fat Coke for £1.75, or you could buy a 500 ml Bottle for £1.60, or 2 for £2.50. You'd just get the bigger bottle, wouldn't you? It is actually something that annoys me.
Philip

WillPS wrote: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 20.09
Philip wrote: Sun 06 Nov, 2022 11.01 I’m sorry but Pepsi Max is ghastly. Just awful. Tastes absolutely nothing like Pepsi.

Imagine being this wound up about pop.
Calm down dear, it’s only a forum post. I’m only acting. I’m really a very good driver.
bilky asko

I was perusing the shelves of a Spar in Hull yesterday, logging the activity of the milk cartel, when I noticed there was a new Lemon flavour of Coca-Cola.

I was surprised to see that it was available in both full-sugar Coke and Coke Zero.

Putting the flavour on both editions leads me to expect the flavour to be an impressive competitor to Pepsi Max Lime. Has anyone tried it yet? Mine is refrigerating as I write.
PresIdents

I thought they were pretty naff. The lemon flavour was fairly muted in the full sugar can and untraceable in the non. The lime Pepsi Max has the right level of sharpness, IMO, so I'll probably stick to that and lemon Fanta.
WillPS

Lemon Coke Zero is one of the nicest colas I've ever tried, strongly recommended.
Philip

If I want fizzy these days I tend to go to a general shop by my work which has a fridge full of fascinating imported US drinks. Cherry Dr Pepper, Cream Soda Dr Pepper, Cherry Vanilla Coke, all various different versions of Mountain Dew.