E-bike rental

gottago
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 19.50

It feels like every schoolchild in London knows that it's pretty easy to break the lock on a Lime bike by just pushing it front wheel forward with a bit of force. I'm constantly hearing the "tick tick tick" of one going past my window all day every day now. Didn't notice this sound till a few months ago so certainly a word of mouth thing that's gotten out of control. My friend has reserved a few bikes only to see them "locked" on the app yet moving away as they get nicked. No chance this business can be sustainable with the current bikes now.
Martin Phillp
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed 11 May, 2011 01.28

gottago wrote: Fri 30 Jun, 2023 16.30 It feels like every schoolchild in London knows that it's pretty easy to break the lock on a Lime bike by just pushing it front wheel forward with a bit of force. I'm constantly hearing the "tick tick tick" of one going past my window all day every day now. Didn't notice this sound till a few months ago so certainly a word of mouth thing that's gotten out of control. My friend has reserved a few bikes only to see them "locked" on the app yet moving away as they get nicked. No chance this business can be sustainable with the current bikes now.
Lime's comeback to this is to blitz my local area with more of the bikes. The London Borough I'm in has introduced e-bike bays and have banned parking on residential housing estates in an effort to stop the bikes from being stolen and used by kids. But as you say, I'm seeing kids on a daily basis using stolen bikes with the clicking noise.

I haven't seen this with the HumanForest or TIER bikes.
TVF's London Lite.
gottago
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 19.50

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 03 Jul, 2023 03.22
gottago wrote: Fri 30 Jun, 2023 16.30 It feels like every schoolchild in London knows that it's pretty easy to break the lock on a Lime bike by just pushing it front wheel forward with a bit of force. I'm constantly hearing the "tick tick tick" of one going past my window all day every day now. Didn't notice this sound till a few months ago so certainly a word of mouth thing that's gotten out of control. My friend has reserved a few bikes only to see them "locked" on the app yet moving away as they get nicked. No chance this business can be sustainable with the current bikes now.
Lime's comeback to this is to blitz my local area with more of the bikes. The London Borough I'm in has introduced e-bike bays and have banned parking on residential housing estates in an effort to stop the bikes from being stolen and used by kids. But as you say, I'm seeing kids on a daily basis using stolen bikes with the clicking noise.

I haven't seen this with the HumanForest or TIER bikes.
I expect the bays are more of way of reducing street clutter really, there's nothing stopping someone nicking a bike from a bay!

Don't know about Human Forest but Tier requires you to physically put a large bolt through the wheel at the end of the journey which no doubt makes it much less nickable. The wheel has large gaps between the spokes as well. Meanwhile Lime bikes lock automatically and the wheels have regular spokes meaning there's a much higher chance of the lock not correctly being positioned between two spokes. I read somewhere that Lime now tell you to push the bike forward to ensure the bike is fully locked before they'll end your journey. Chances are however that the lock is so weak it can be broken through anyway, hence the never-ending thefts.

I can hear the clicking noise now as I type this!
Martin Phillp
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed 11 May, 2011 01.28

Another thing I've noticed with the Lime bikes is the wear and tear is more visible. Cracking paint, rusty bike chains and faulty saddle locks are common.

HumanForest and Tier simply don't have that problem with their bikes.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 00.04
Location: Next door to Hell

Went to Berlin recently and used the Lime e-scooters to get around some of it. They were *fun* although I guess we’re not allowed them everywhere here because all the boomers will complain. Seen they do them in specific locations although I didn’t see any when I was in London a few weeks back.
gottago
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 19.50

all new Phil wrote: Tue 04 Jul, 2023 09.19 Went to Berlin recently and used the Lime e-scooters to get around some of it. They were *fun* although I guess we’re not allowed them everywhere here because all the boomers will complain. Seen they do them in specific locations although I didn’t see any when I was in London a few weeks back.
Funnily enough I saw two Lime scooters in Canary Wharf last night which I think is the first time I've seen them in London so they must be starting to roll them out here - unless I've just missed them. There is another e-scooter scheme in London but I never see anyone using them, likely because you need to upload a driving license (or a provisional one) to the app and get it approved before you start riding where as the bikes don't need anything. I prefer it that way, the bikes are far safer than the scooters. The Lime scooters look a lot steadier but I've used some in Liverpool and abroad which have felt extremely unsteady and dangerous.
Martin Phillp
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed 11 May, 2011 01.28

all new Phil wrote: Tue 04 Jul, 2023 09.19 Went to Berlin recently and used the Lime e-scooters to get around some of it. They were *fun* although I guess we’re not allowed them everywhere here because all the boomers will complain. Seen they do them in specific locations although I didn’t see any when I was in London a few weeks back.
The Lime Scooters are on trial in my London borough, which have to be parked in e-scooter bays. They're very fast as one overtook me while on an e-bike recently.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek
Posts: 873
Joined: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 12.35

gottago wrote: Tue 04 Jul, 2023 11.24
all new Phil wrote: Tue 04 Jul, 2023 09.19 Went to Berlin recently and used the Lime e-scooters to get around some of it. They were *fun* although I guess we’re not allowed them everywhere here because all the boomers will complain. Seen they do them in specific locations although I didn’t see any when I was in London a few weeks back.
Funnily enough I saw two Lime scooters in Canary Wharf last night which I think is the first time I've seen them in London so they must be starting to roll them out here - unless I've just missed them. There is another e-scooter scheme in London but I never see anyone using them, likely because you need to upload a driving license (or a provisional one) to the app and get it approved before you start riding where as the bikes don't need anything. I prefer it that way, the bikes are far safer than the scooters. The Lime scooters look a lot steadier but I've used some in Liverpool and abroad which have felt extremely unsteady and dangerous.
It looks like all the operators need you to upload your driving licence. There's quite a bit of detail on this TfL page:
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/electr ... ntal-trial
Martin Phillp
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed 11 May, 2011 01.28

HumanForest have changed some of their pricing again.

Park anywhere for £1, however if you park in a parking bay, they'll give you 2 free ride minutes.

Bundles are now valid for three days with free parking to compete with Lime's passes.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp
Posts: 1485
Joined: Wed 11 May, 2011 01.28

HumanForest have started to rebrand their bikes as "Forest" as part of their refurb with the bikes also mentioning "download the Forest app."
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek
Posts: 873
Joined: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 12.35

Dott have left the ebike market in London

https://www.cityam.com/dott-ends-london ... gulations/
Post Reply