E-bike rental

thegeek

I've already forgotten the name of the operator which was briefly available in my borough which had an option on the app to pre-select the level of e-assist you'd like (and the price changed to match), which was an interesting feature.

Some of the ones I've tried can be a bit enthusiastic on the e-assist - a slight turn off the pedals and it's already accelerating you up to 15 mph - but I think the technology is improving there. I'm definitely a convert.
Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Fri 21 Oct, 2022 21.57 I've already forgotten the name of the operator which was briefly available in my borough which had an option on the app to pre-select the level of e-assist you'd like (and the price changed to match), which was an interesting feature.

Some of the ones I've tried can be a bit enthusiastic on the e-assist - a slight turn off the pedals and it's already accelerating you up to 15 mph - but I think the technology is improving there. I'm definitely a convert.
The HumanForest bikes really do have a kick on the first movement of the e-assist. Lime bikes seem to be really strict on the use of the e-assist, when I go into the local park, I really don't pick up much speed at all.

Lime are on their 4th Gen e-bikes and they're really heavy, so you really need the e-assist as when it cuts out, they're unusable. The HumanForest bikes feel lighter and come with a speedometer so I can see what speed I'm doing.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Just found the HumanForest bundle offers.

60 minutes for £4.
120 minutes for £5.
180 minutes for £6.
480 minutes for £8.

All bundles are valid for 24 hours after purchase.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Is HumanForest still going? I see their bikes showing up in Citymapper, but none in their own app, and any time I try to scan one I get a 'bike not found' error.

I tried Dott today (same bikes, different colour). Though also learned to my cost that it can be a bit of a frustrating experience if you've not planned ahead to a parking spot close to your destination - otherwise it's extra time and money to turn round and go back to the nearest. I'm a fan of not having the pavement cluttered with bikes and scooters everywhere though, so I guess I can't complain that you can't just park anywhere.

I far prefer having my own bike in town though, mainly because I'm a miserly Scot and don't like having the pennies adding up for every minute I'm sitting at traffic lights. (Same when I'm in a Zipcar.)
Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Wed 09 Nov, 2022 21.38 Is HumanForest still going? I see their bikes showing up in Citymapper, but none in their own app, and any time I try to scan one I get a 'bike not found' error.
HumanForest is still operational, I hired a bike on Friday. It may have been a distribution issue in your area last week.

Incidentally Lime have reduced their rental price to 19p per minute to match Human Forest, but they haven't introduced the free 10 minutes which would be a game changer for Lime.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

Dundee turn their bikes off "for maintenance" over the winter (ie to stop them being snowed in). Do other cities do the same? What about the boris bikes?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

Pete wrote: Tue 15 Nov, 2022 09.30 Dundee turn their bikes off "for maintenance" over the winter (ie to stop them being snowed in). Do other cities do the same? What about the boris bikes?
The Boris bikes are 24/7. They're the only form of transport offered by TfL on Christmas Day.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

I noticed with Lime that as soon as you veer off the South Circular Road in London, the bikes soon stop working properly.

I also experienced my first go-slow area where bikes are restricted to 8mph, I believe in this case it's due to the temporary traffic lights in the Forest Hill area of the A205.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

A tip for Lime users in London. You don't need to spend £8.99pm for Lime Prime to get some of the privileges.

If you buy a Ride Pass, you get free unlocking and up to 30 minute reservations of bikes or scooters without Prime as long as you have ride minutes left.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

Pete wrote: Tue 15 Nov, 2022 09.30 Dundee turn their bikes off "for maintenance" over the winter (ie to stop them being snowed in). Do other cities do the same? What about the boris bikes?
for reference - the "maintenance" in this instance was the operator going bust
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

HumanForest have a green bay on my street now, so I've been using them more now. The free 10 minutes and the ability to add ride credit by watching commercials means that most of my rides are only 50p, which is the charge for using a bay, (£2 if you leave it outside a bay)
TVF's London Lite.