Pres Cafe Watch News and Information Board

WillPS

iSon wrote: Mon 01 Aug, 2022 13.35 Perhaps we could have one that monitors for any legal issues? Barista.

No? Anyone?
ba-dum *tish*
Critique

I know it's early days but both forums feel a bit flat at the moment. Pres Cafe is certainly the more active of the two but not by a huge amount, especially when compared to the TV Forum/TV Live Forum transition where everyone pretty much went 'as I was saying before I was interrupted' and carried on!

I wonder how many members have not signed up for any successor at this point - a fair few said they probably wouldn't in the Farewell thread, but there were similar mutterings when TV Forum closed (I was one of them!) and most people moved over very quickly.
Ash101

I don't think Brekkie has posed on either forum yet? They alone manage to keep quite a few conversations going per day!
Martin Phillp

I know they've tried to start conversations by setting up various threads, but what I liked about TVLF was that most people just started threads naturally when we moved from the blue place, but on Pres Café it feels like it doesn't have the natural transition we had previously.

I think Pres Café will be one of the forums that carries on once some of these other splinter forums fall by the wayside, but it's been a clunky experience.
TVF's London Lite.
Beep

I haven’t and won’t yet make a decision as to which one to join.

I’m sad that TVLF has finished tbh, it was going well I thought. I know it’s a bit late now but maybe it could be brought back in another way.

I’m yet to join any new site until I know a ‘winner’ - but I honestly think since the closure of TVF the future will be closing and starting of however many forum for years to come.

Shame either TVF or TVLF couldn’t have subbed out the management to others but maintained ownership?
bilky asko

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 01 Aug, 2022 23.59 I know they've tried to start conversations by setting up various threads, but what I liked about TVLF was that most people just started threads naturally when we moved from the blue place, but on Pres Café it feels like it doesn't have the natural transition we had previously.

I think Pres Café will be one of the forums that carries on once some of these other splinter forums fall by the wayside, but it's been a clunky experience.
It started as essentially a carbon copy of what went before, and there were no major competitors, so it makes sense that it felt more like a continuation.

Pres Café is the most active out of any of these forums so far, and has the most members, but having so many people holding back and refusing to pick a side exacerbates the feeling of it being lifeless and the smaller number of people discussing on any of these forums.
Ben

Beep wrote: Tue 02 Aug, 2022 01.34 Shame either TVF or TVLF couldn’t have subbed out the management to others but maintained ownership?
I think it's understandable after 20 years that Asa didn't.

As for Rob, he needed out of the forum and that's understandble. Had there been more time I'm sure there would have been a cleaner handover with a clear successor site.

I feel a bit for TV Ark, they reached out to Rob for advice after the initial announcement but left it too late to let anybody else know.

To use a TV analogy it's BSB and Sky right now, so give it a few months and Rupert Murdoch will buy out the rivals and call it a merger.
Andrew Wood

iSon wrote: Mon 01 Aug, 2022 13.35 Perhaps we could have one that monitors for any legal issues? Barista.

No? Anyone?
Oh that is good!
dosxuk

bilky asko wrote: Tue 02 Aug, 2022 01.51
Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 01 Aug, 2022 23.59 I know they've tried to start conversations by setting up various threads, but what I liked about TVLF was that most people just started threads naturally when we moved from the blue place, but on Pres Café it feels like it doesn't have the natural transition we had previously.

It started as essentially a carbon copy of what went before, and there were no major competitors, so it makes sense that it felt more like a continuation.

Pres Café is the most active out of any of these forums so far, and has the most members, but having so many people holding back and refusing to pick a side exacerbates the feeling of it being lifeless and the smaller number of people discussing on any of these forums.
I think both forums are struggling at the moment with it being the school holidays and being bereft of content, resulting in lots of kids creating bunches of threads on subjects or videos which have been discussed to death elsewhere / previously. Personally, I'd just nuke any thread that starts with "I've created this thread to discuss xyz <embedded youtube link>".

Both TVF and TVLF struggled with quality content during the school holidays, so this is going to be a tough time to launch new fora and keep a level of quality that the older/more experienced members are going to be happy to engage with.
Blewatter

So far, I've been using Pres Cafe a little bit more than TV Talk Forum. I feel like Pres Cafe has more of the discussions that I like to read and partake in at this moment. Of course, this is probably going to change.
WillPS

dosxuk wrote: Tue 02 Aug, 2022 11.08
bilky asko wrote: Tue 02 Aug, 2022 01.51

I think both forums are struggling at the moment with it being the school holidays and being bereft of content, resulting in lots of kids creating bunches of threads on subjects or videos which have been discussed to death elsewhere / previously. Personally, I'd just nuke any thread that starts with "I've created this thread to discuss xyz <embedded youtube link>".

Both TVF and TVLF struggled with quality content during the school holidays, so this is going to be a tough time to launch new fora and keep a level of quality that the older/more experienced members are going to be happy to engage with.
I'm enjoying the lower amount of drivel than can be expected for school holidays tbh