Pres Cafe Watch News and Information Board

Andrew

DTV wrote: Wed 10 Aug, 2022 19.31 I'm not saying the new forums are a bit dead, but the first non-news bulletin use of the new Studio B set (Our Next Prime Minister) hasn't raised a comment on either.

I'd like to join one of the forums, but this deadness is keeping me away - too few active members and it becomes hard to have a conversation, as well as feeling like you're just talking into the wind. But then I do get the impression that, a week-and-a-half on, there are quite a few ex-TVLF members who are waiting for one to be anointed successor.
I think I’m waiting to see which forum if any Brekkie chooses to partake in
bilky asko

DTV wrote: Wed 10 Aug, 2022 19.31 I'm not saying the new forums are a bit dead, but the first non-news bulletin use of the new Studio B set (Our Next Prime Minister) hasn't raised a comment on either.

I'd like to join one of the forums, but this deadness is keeping me away - too few active members and it becomes hard to have a conversation, as well as feeling like you're just talking into the wind. But then I do get the impression that, a week-and-a-half on, there are quite a few ex-TVLF members who are waiting for one to be anointed successor.
I suppose it's easy to get used to having someone else initiate the discussion and be the first to post on a particular topic. But doesn't it seem a bit silly to post about someone not posting about something you wanted to post about but didn't post about because nobody else had posted about it yet?
T0M

Just came back to the forum being closed - bit awkward.

Anyway from what i’ve had a gander at, The TV Ark forum is giving me some UX nostalgia for the TV Forum days - if it had more subforums and stuff going on there, I’d think everyone should be relocating there, especially knowing what a legacy TV Ark has. As much as I appreciate how much work must of gone into the other two as well, it’s the only new forum so far that makes me *not* feel like i’m looking at a login portal and messenger board for a NHS hospital.

Either way - 3 new forums seems to have been an odd conclusion, they all seem pretty dead and now everything’s all over the bloody place.
🍊
bilky asko

T0M wrote: Wed 10 Aug, 2022 20.55 Just came back to the forum being closed - bit awkward.

Anyway from what i’ve had a gander at, The TV Ark forum is giving me some UX nostalgia for the TV Forum days - if it had more subforums and stuff going on there, I’d think everyone should be relocating there, especially knowing what a legacy TV Ark has. As much as I appreciate how much work must of gone into the other two as well, it’s the only new forum so far that makes me *not* feel like i’m looking at a login portal and messenger board for a NHS hospital.

Either way - 3 new forums seems to have been an odd conclusion, they all seem pretty dead and now everything’s all over the bloody place.
The problem was that the TVArk forums launched after TV Live Forum had closed, so I imagine they missed out on a lot of the early registrations.
DTV

bilky asko wrote: Wed 10 Aug, 2022 20.24 I suppose it's easy to get used to having someone else initiate the discussion and be the first to post on a particular topic. But it doesn't have seem a bit silly to post about someone not posting about something you wanted to post about but didn't post about because nobody else had posted about it yet.
I wasn't really complaining that nobody had posted on that topic, rather highlighting that the fact nobody had was emblematic of why I am having difficulty being attracted to joining either forum. To me, such a relatively noteworthy development going uncommented on suggests that a forum is too empty for me to become invested in in the first place.

The rather sudden collapse of TVLF has made me reluctant to join a new forum if there is a high chance of it fizzling out or even closing within the near-future. Ultimately, I don't really have a desire to get buffeted about between forums over the next few years. All I'm saying is that, at present (and I hope things change), there is no new forum that seems particularly 'where it's at' or sustainable in the long run.
Andrew wrote: Wed 10 Aug, 2022 20.19 I think I’m waiting to see which forum if any Brekkie chooses to partake in
I feel that this is what I am doing as well. I know that he isn't everyone on here's cup of tea, but he was always an unmatched driver of conversations across the forum.
bilky asko

DTV wrote: Wed 10 Aug, 2022 21.26
bilky asko wrote: Wed 10 Aug, 2022 20.24 I suppose it's easy to get used to having someone else initiate the discussion and be the first to post on a particular topic. But it doesn't have seem a bit silly to post about someone not posting about something you wanted to post about but didn't post about because nobody else had posted about it yet.
I wasn't really complaining that nobody had posted on that topic, rather highlighting that the fact nobody had was emblematic of why I am having difficulty being attracted to joining either forum. To me, such a relatively noteworthy development going uncommented on suggests that a forum is too empty for me to become invested in in the first place.

The rather sudden collapse of TVLF has made me reluctant to join a new forum if there is a high chance of it fizzling out or even closing within the near-future. Ultimately, I don't really have a desire to get buffeted about between forums over the next few years. All I'm saying is that, at present (and I hope things change), there is no new forum that seems particularly 'where it's at' or sustainable in the long run.
It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I just chose the bigger forum in Pres Café - it's still got more members than the rest now. That's probably the easiest way to pick, and seeing as a lot of the people holding back are the bigger contributors, you'd end up with a decent increase in posts.
Monolithic

I had something to post about but as dead as a dodo. It's like walking into an empty pub.
barcode

If you post, they will come. .................

Its a bit mad people only want to talk about TV Pres with certain other people being in the room. People just need to start talking and making post, and im sure if its interesting people will reply.
Asa

Pete wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 12.17 which one is he tho? Admin, Moderator 1, Moderator 2? Maybe it's all a ruse and it's Asa all along
Mwahahaha, I've been unmasked!

Although in reality, I have offered up some advice but I'm not involved in the day-to-day running. Been there, done that.

The quietness is probably to be expected - it's August, nice weather, traditionally a quiet time in the TV landscape. Rob had a little more time to set up, polish a theme, pre-register users and was the only serious option. He couldn't have done much more to make it seamless. Throw in a major news story in under two weeks and it was largely business as usual.

One or more of the new sites will come into their own. Just this time it may take a bit longer.
WillPS

T0M wrote: Wed 10 Aug, 2022 20.55especially knowing what a legacy TV Ark has.
TV Ark is great but it's hard to ignore the fact they've struggled to keep it online in the last 15 years.
JetixFann450

I still do flick between Pres Cafe and TV Talk Forum often, never typically TV Ark Forum because that site is often dead when I look (last post from what I can find is from the 7th of August on the Pres forum!) but typically, it seems now that Pres Cafe is the main head honcho while TV Talk Forum appears to be the more familiar of the two, not least in the fact it still has a gallery and requests forum for those who missed those.

Personally, I still don't see how we're going to be settled for a battle (is that even the right word?) between the two forums, TV ARK Forum may as well be in it's own bubble since I don't count that as an active forum.
Member of Pres Cafe who occasionally pops in and out.