Pres Cafe Watch News and Information Board

bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Thu 08 Feb, 2024 17.10 The policy on removing links to content 'websnatched' is a real PITA, especially as they don't then replace the link with one which relates to the 'source' the content was originally "snatched" from...
I think I've said it before, but "websnatching" is such an awful term. I suppose how infantile it sounds is fitting for how childish a thing it is to get worked up about.
JAS84

Nothing wrong with the policy though. If it has the TV Ark logo on it for example, and it's not from TV Ark or it's associated social media channels, then of course it should be removed. That watermark they use is there for a reason.
Philip

I had added another post to that thread saying I believed the moderators had got it wrong, and some extra info related to what we were discussing in the thread.

Instead of a moderator replying to me to tell me I’d got it wrong (I assume it was a copy on another YouTube channel, but I thought the moderators thought it had been stolen from a TV pres website), my post was simply deleted in its entirety.

Why they couldn’t have just silently replaced the link in the original post with the right one, is beyond me. Almost feels like shaming the poster for not knowing that it was a copied video.

And I really do hate the erasure of posts, a considered reply would be much more appreciated, and not feel like I’m wasting my time contributing to the forum, especially when the majority of the post was unrelated to the ownership of the video.
presnot

I have kind of given up with Pres Cafe, the mods pick and choose what is posted in threads they have locked down. When open debate is not allowed, it's all rather pointless. And I wasn't saying anything controversial, they just deemed it shall not be posted. The Sky News lockdown was hilarious, now they have locked the feedback thread!

Anyway I tried to get my account closed, I haven't had a response yet. Maybe I should throw a couple of swearwords into a thread it might spring them into action! I guess I can just log off and walk away but i'd rarther they knew they p*ss people off.
NiKepp

Welcome to Pres Cafe Anonymous. There's some milk and cookies on the side there if you need refreshments. And if you'd like to join the circle to share with us more about how it feels when you aren't able to post exactly as you like over there, I think there's still some room to pull up chairs between Kojaks 4 and 6. Careful not to bump Kojak 2 as you hang up your coats and move things though - he really doesn't like it!

For those of us who remember the low level ribbing fun we used to have in these watch threads instead, does anyone else think that thread documenting every minor Challenge schedule change as it happens is the new 2023/2024 replacement for the old presenter rota discussion?
I'm on the David Lees Honor Roll!
WillPS

JAS84 wrote: Fri 09 Feb, 2024 22.15 Nothing wrong with the policy though. If it has the TV Ark logo on it for example, and it's not from TV Ark or it's associated social media channels, then of course it should be removed. That watermark they use is there for a reason.
If they replace the video link like for like, then fine, idc

If the video is just removed it undermines the flow of the conversation.

(Not getting in to the merits of 'owning' uploads, which I think is pretty immature behaviour all around tbh)
JetixFann450

What I don't understand is certain YouTube channels like [bluefrog] for instance being considered "websnatching" when they clearly credit where they got their sources from. For instance, a random video for example, the CNX 30-second loop, had the Vimeo link he found it on linked in the description.

Now obviously if it had any watermarks from other websites, like TV Ark or for instance The Clean Feed, then I'd say that's websnatching by definition. This whole websnatching debacle is really silly in my honest opinion, and convolutes actual legit posters who sometimes actually record footage that otherwise no other one has posted, like the recent Nick Jr rebrand. Regardless of your interest in children's channels, no one else has recorded that footage otherwise as of yet (though some have already recorded it anyway), so what are forum posters meant to do in that instance?
Member of Pres Cafe who occasionally pops in and out.
presnot

The leader has spoken. New rules published. All orders must be obeyed!

I’m afraid the new rules do not explain why mods think they can attempt to alter the flow of a debate by censoring certain posts they do not agree with. It didn’t work in the past and it won’t work now. No thanks.
presnot

NiKepp wrote: Sat 10 Feb, 2024 20.45 Welcome to Pres Cafe Anonymous. There's some milk and cookies on the side there if you need refreshments. And if you'd like to join the circle to share with us more about how it feels when you aren't able to post exactly as you like over there, I think there's still some room to pull up chairs between Kojaks 4 and 6. Careful not to bump Kojak 2 as you hang up your coats and move things though - he really doesn't like it!
Hardly anonymous, I doubt many have asked for their account to be deleted in the last few days so it’s pretty clear who I am, if you were referring to my post.
DTV

9. [NEW] Requests for material (such as video/audio clips of presentation elements, programmes, theme tunes) is not permitted.
This feels like one of those laws that is written too vaguely and ends up accidentally banning cats.
Neo HH

presnot wrote: Sat 10 Feb, 2024 17.21 I have kind of given up with Pres Cafe, the mods pick and choose what is posted in threads they have locked down. When open debate is not allowed, it's all rather pointless. And I wasn't saying anything controversial, they just deemed it shall not be posted. The Sky News lockdown was hilarious, now they have locked the feedback thread!

Anyway I tried to get my account closed, I haven't had a response yet. Maybe I should throw a couple of swearwords into a thread it might spring them into action! I guess I can just log off and walk away but i'd rarther they knew they p*ss people off.
I'm Humphrey Hacker. Like you I've had my fill of PC. I've just had a warning because of I asked the same question twice. It was a question about the posts that had referred to mental health support and I wanted to know whether such posts would continued to be allowed.

I have replied and requested the warning be removed but I can't see anything changing.