TV Talk Forum Watch News and Information Board

Martin Phillp

I'm in two minds about both. I've been able to contribute to both, but TV Talk has a slight DS style poster skew to it.

It's a shame the French TV thread has built momentum on TV Talk rather than Pres Café, but I'll carry on posting.
TVF's London Lite.
Rexogamer

To be entirely fair, summer is usually a pretty quiet period when it comes to TV in general, let alone presentation - for comparison, TVLF launched in April with several significant events/refreshes underway/about to occur. I do agree though - the split is, in my opinion, rather unnecessary and only fractures discussion, and I can't really see how both forums can continue to co-exist for more than a few months
all new Phil

Solari wrote: Tue 30 Aug, 2022 18.50 You know, this two forum nonsense is really killing the discussion. A lot of the chat on TV Talk is so banal, and Pres Cafe is just... dead. Why anyone thought it was a good idea to have two very niche fora going head to head is beyond me.
To be fair, there’s absolutely naff all to discuss right now. September usually has much more going on.
WillPS

Solari wrote: Tue 30 Aug, 2022 18.50 You know, this two forum nonsense is really killing the discussion. A lot of the chat on TV Talk is so banal, and Pres Cafe is just... dead. Why anyone thought it was a good idea to have two very niche fora going head to head is beyond me.
It's almost like the whole thing wasn't orchestrated at all and nobody actually decided that.

As somebody who nips on every few days to a have a quick see what's going on I'm enjoying the lower velocity.
Blewatter

Because people can have the same idea and do their own thing? Both websites were pretty much up and running at the same time. They were very quick to get sorted after TVLF announced it was closing. And there isn't two very niche fora. There's about 3 or 4, and could have been 5 has TVTF not been a merger. That said, I do think splitting the community long term is not helping the discussion. I tend to mostly post on Pres Cafe, which I think has the most polish (even if it is a little sterile), but I think TVTF has a less serious and more welcoming atmosphere, even if it is overall a little less polished.

I do think that one website would be the best outcome. I don't think Pres Cafe and TVTF will merge, but I wouldn't see any harm in them doing so. It might cancel out each other's faults, as it goes.
SHADOWNINJA

You just gave a great point there. As much as we remember TV Talk Forum and Pres Cafe, it's quite easy to forget that there's also TVARK Forum and Box Babble, which also started up when it was announced that TV Live Forum would close down.

Now if I can offer up my experiences: I looked at TV Talk Forum, Pres Cafe, and Box Babble (TVARK Forum hadn't relaunched yet), as I had to get a feel for them before I made my decision. Of the choices that were on the table, I looked at Pres Cafe and TV Talk Forum very closely, since these were the two that came to mind the most. I had to make sure the decision I made was the one I was most happy with. Two days before TV Live Forum would close, I decided on TV Talk Forum for the same reason: It provided a more welcoming atmosphere. I might as well have even embraced my identity as an American joining a TV presentation forum from the UK, since I was confident with the choice that I made.

Over a month later, and I never even began to realize just how much having to choose between forums would result in a community that's this fractured. Granted, I knew that coming in when I joined the forum of my choosing, but not to the point that it is now.
JAS84

SHADOWNINJA seems annoyed by the fact that most of the discussion in the Warner Bros Discovery thread lately has been about the company's financial issues and mass cancellations, and not their two streaming services HBO Max and Discovery+. He's not the one who started the thread, nor is he a moderator, so what gives him the right to decide what's off topic?
SHADOWNINJA

It's probably because I got a bit frustrated about what was happening with the company itself, which ended up becoming far more than just removal of content from HBO Max, one of the company's (now two) main streaming services. Eventually, I realized I got carried away and the discussion right from the start should've been focused on streaming-related developments, and it was all because of most of the posts I made that the topic drifted in the wrong direction. I even mentioned that as much. I am fully aware that I am not the one who started it nor was I moderating that, but it was all because of most of the posts that I made that I had to look back and realize that this thread was supposed to be about streaming-related discussion.
Kojak

God, that derek500 is a bore. Does nothing but post in the GB News thread whining about 'the left' (as if they're all one big monolith). Hate hate HATE that - he constantly has to bring sly little political digs in. He did the same at the blue and purple places. Comes across as a right nasty bitter old sod.
bilky asko

I note that one of the administrators has been banned from the forum. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of whoever picked the co-admins for the forum...
AxG

bilky asko wrote: Sun 16 Oct, 2022 21.58 I note that one of the administrators has been banned from the forum. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of whoever picked the co-admins for the forum...
I hope it's whoever wrote the wall of rules.

But Pres Café just feels way more polished and improved since both sites launched.