The current state of Christmas lights

thegeek

bilky asko wrote: Tue 28 Dec, 2021 11.36 The connectable Morrisons lights they had in last year (and this year I believe) at least had the advantage of being on the still setting when you switched them on, rather than the demo mode.
I feel like they're probably all the same manufacturer - they certainly use the same connectors and Jutai power supplies (as seen here), though in recent years the memory controller has moved into the PSU rather than being a separate box.

We got a set in Aldi this year that comes on in demo mode, which isn't very good when you want to use them in conjunction with a timer or wifi smart plug.
cwathen

Sput wrote: Fri 24 Dec, 2021 19.17 Image

I got these from sainsburys a couple of years ago. I made the mistake of believing the photo. In reality they were washed out, greyish nonsense that actively made the room more depressing.

Also they smashed really easily. Threw them out immediately.
I have these very lights, bought in 2019 from Sainsburys to use outside. For many years I've used cheap low voltage indoor sets as outdoor lights, in the full knowledge they aren't designed for it and won't last but at a fraction of the cost. Currently they are out for their 3rd year with, as you say, numerous smashed shades even though they've just been strung across two windows and then stored in their original box during the year. I can't see them stretching to a 4th year. A shame actually as it is the shades that let them down. The bare LEDs themselves are nice and bright and they seem pretty hardy (they've been used outside in the rain and in freezing temperatures but they're all still working).

I didn't actually bother putting a tree up inside this year still being in the process of sorting things out after moving a few months ago, but for indoor use I still rely on a couple of sets of pretty ancient incandescent lights. To me they're still the gold standard for attractive christmas lights. May need to look into whether it is possible to get some replacement bulbs for them (I see plenty being sold but the bases on different sets can be slightly different) as I now have so many dead ones that I'm worried about how much they're being over-run. Or failing that, replacement NOS incandescent sets.
Pete

thegeek wrote: Tue 28 Dec, 2021 13.38I feel like they're probably all the same manufacturer - they certainly use the same connectors and Jutai power supplies (as seen here), though in recent years the memory controller has moved into the PSU rather than being a separate box.
yes one thing is they tend to all have matching plugs every year.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Tue 28 Dec, 2021 13.38
bilky asko wrote: Tue 28 Dec, 2021 11.36 The connectable Morrisons lights they had in last year (and this year I believe) at least had the advantage of being on the still setting when you switched them on, rather than the demo mode.
I feel like they're probably all the same manufacturer - they certainly use the same connectors and Jutai power supplies (as seen here), though in recent years the memory controller has moved into the PSU rather than being a separate box.

We got a set in Aldi this year that comes on in demo mode, which isn't very good when you want to use them in conjunction with a timer or wifi smart plug.
There was a time where all effect lights had a little clicky rotary knob so you could set and forget. Must have cost at least 3p a set more than just a button.
Dr Lobster*

Just stumbled across these... https://www.lights4fun.co.uk/products/1 ... mas-lights

seem to be multi colour LEDs rather than warm white inside a shade, but might be a good compromise... will order some when they come back in stock, which will probably be this time next year.
scottishtv

Dr Lobster* wrote: Thu 23 Dec, 2021 19.41The other thing is I've never been able to locate a nice set of LED lights with the old skool flowery shaped shades - you can still get these on old fashioned sets, but not LED.

Do any of you guys share my nostalgia for old fashioned lights - and have you been able to source a modern LED set which comes close?
Um, a bit late to this discussion. I've had similar feelings about LEDs, but I found these in a local Sainsbury's back in early December and despite not really needing them my childhood nostalgia kicked in and I bought them. Very nice they are too, and quite close to what I remember as a kid. They sold out within a week and I never saw them again in stores.

Dr Lobster* wrote: Thu 23 Dec, 2021 19.41As you can see from the photo above, I've got a pastel set (which I got from Tesco a few years back, which they didn't sell this year) on my tree in the living room which doesn't burn your retinas and has quite a nice ambience </snip>
I remember these from the other thread! I bought a set back then and they *do* look great. Mine are stuck in a storage place right now though, hope to have them back out for Christmas '22.
scottishtv

Dr Lobster* wrote: Thu 30 Dec, 2021 14.21 Just stumbled across these... https://www.lights4fun.co.uk/products/1 ... mas-lights

seem to be multi colour LEDs rather than warm white inside a shade, but might be a good compromise... will order some when they come back in stock, which will probably be this time next year.
I'm sure the ones my grandparents had back-in-the-day were coloured glass too. They'd sometimes have a few pop/burn out and not enough of the correct colour replacements so there would be a red bulb in a green shade which was always highly unsatisfactory.

My granddad could never be persuaded to go to B&Q just for a pack of replacement bulbs.
thegeek

scottishtv wrote: Sun 09 Jan, 2022 21.34 Um, a bit late to this discussion. I've had similar feelings about LEDs, but I found these in a local Sainsbury's back in early December and despite not really needing them my childhood nostalgia kicked in and I bought them. Very nice they are too, and quite close to what I remember as a kid. They sold out within a week and I never saw them again in stores.

Ooh, they look nice. These seem to be the same, but in strings of 40s: https://www.ukchristmasworld.com/collec ... i-coloured
WillPS

Aldi had some on a special buy too. I almost bought a set but in retrospect I have no idea where they would have been put up.