Your Interests (Outside of Pres)

Blewatter

Just a nice simple thread talking about your other, non TV Presentation interests. Nothing special. Some of mine are:

- I design LEGO MOC's
- I Write (Poetry/Short Stories/Blog Posts)
- Formula One (Team Max all the way)
- Coins
- Music (Sparks at the moment, but a lot of rock and BBC Radio 6/Absolute 90s)
- Baking
-Doctor Who/Star Trek
Jonwo

My interests are are theatre, films, live comedy, quizzes and while it's not an interest as such, I am fascinated by both architecture and infrastructure projects so I love new and old theatres and their history but also things like the Elizabeth Line which I admit when that eventually opens, I might spend the day just sitting on the train from one end to the other.
cdd

You say “outside of Pres”, but I wonder how many Metropol members have only a passing (if that) interest in TV Presentation?

I will take a passing interest in presentation if I happen to be watching TV, but 1) that is rare these days, and 2) I haven’t followed a TV rebrand in years.

As for other interests: branding in general, theatre, public transport networks (especially airports and rail), theme parks, architecture (brutalist/modernist/postmodern), gaming, walking, music composition. Plus a slew of IT interests like programming, database design and networking, but since that’s my day job I don’t spend much time outside of work on computer stuff any more!
WillPS

cdd wrote: Wed 08 Dec, 2021 00.55 I will take a passing interest in presentation if I happen to be watching TV, but 1) that is rare these days, and 2) I haven’t followed a TV rebrand in years.
This is me now too. With the BBC rebrand I was more interested in how Rob and the team handled it than the actual presentation.
cdd wrote: Wed 08 Dec, 2021 00.55 Plus a slew of IT interests like programming, database design and networking, but since that’s my day job I don’t spend much time outside of work on computer stuff any more!
Also me. The closest I get to that stuff as a hobby nowadays is home automation. And every few years I do something to that hate-speech chat service I run.
cwathen

I will take a passing interest in presentation if I happen to be watching TV, but 1) that is rare these days, and 2) I haven’t followed a TV rebrand in years.
Pretty much in the same boat. I watch almost no broadcast TV outside of news. The very small number of new shows I do watch I rarely watch live vs catch up. But also, to me presentation has for quite some time (arguably at least for 10 years, if not closer to 15) has been just boring and as such it's rarely something I follow. We had 'attack of the people idents' in the early-mid 00's and from then on things generally only got worse. For me the most exciting development in pres over the past decade was the not-so-temporary reintroduction of the 90's BBC2 idents.

And also, I don't see the same sort of passion for branding and pres from the broadcasters themselves. I still remember when the 1997 BBC logo was launched. Although there were a few programmes already in the bag with the old logo on for a short while (and for some reason Eastenders didn't change for the rest of the year), in the main it was a hard switch which occured overnight. Not just for the logo, but all of the assets that went with the look including the heavy use of Gil Sans. Although not everyone liked the new look, the pride taken in the work of getting it done was apparent. This time around we got Reith slowly rolled out (a process still not complete after 4 years) alongside the existing Gil Sans logo, then a soft launch of the new logo, and even after a wider rollout the Gil Sans logo remains hanging around all over the place, and clearly will do for some time. It just looks sloppy.

Anyhoo, retro IT, mental health awareness, walking, trains and a low-level not very good interest in photography. Used to play keyboard too, was on the cusp of progressing up to piano but not pursued that for some time.
Alan de Robson

I don't know about anyone else but I tend to get obssessed with things that are a puzzle.

I am currently trying to learn WordPress, HTML, and CSS and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I am on a 5-year mission (2 years through) to understand SEO and loving it equally.

Other than going out with the lads and finding new YouTube channels to enjoy, that's pretty much it.
scottishtv

I collect Nectar points.
rob

Away from running the forum, working in a bingo hall takes up the majority of my time. Outside of that, I enjoy long walks, writing quizzes, designing logos and graphics and listening to music.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
iSon

Chilli cook offs, Paul Hudson and Carl Chinn.
Good Lord!
Martin Phillp

Politics and volunteering.
TVF's London Lite.
cheese2286

1. Counting sheep
2. Doing research for my upcoming book 'Aaaaah, that's better: A History of the Commode'
3. Visiting British towns that contain the letter 'v'
4. Watching Homes Under the Hammer
5. Collecting copies of Chas and Dave's 'A Cockney Christmas'
6. Writing cheques to myself for 1p, then paying them into the bank
7. Growing a beard
8. Painting famous scenes from 'The Only Way is Essex'
9. Memorising the names all of the motorway services in England
10. Belly dancing
11. Deconstructing and reconstructing Birds Eye fish fingers
12. Shopping for cheese in B&Q (always leave empty handed)
13. Singing Terry Wogan's 1978 hit 'The Floral Dance' to myself
14. Re-enacting famous British parliamentary by-elections
15. Attending company AGM's, purloining free food, then leaving
16. Making furniture out of cardboard boxes
17. Worshipping Prince Phillip
18. Playing the spoons
19. Moaning about the annoying adverts that go 'Cazoo yeah you can'
20. Humming the theme tune of Postman Pat
21. Trying to watch the BBC News channel, getting the channel number wrong and tuning into CBeebies instead
22. Avoiding ever setting foot in a branch of Argos
23. Spending time using TikTok
24. Getting Samuel Coleridge-Taylor muddled up with Samuel Taylor Coleridge
25. Never mentioning the war
26. Imagining what a person would look like if they had Chris Whitty's hair, Patrick Vallance's face, Jonathan Van Tam's body and Jenny Harries' legs
27. Calling honey 'bee juice' and milk 'cow juice'
28. Reading the part of the Wikipedia article on John Cleese where they mention his father's surname was actually 'Cheese' but it was changed
29. Petitioning my local MP, Mr Peter Bone, to bring back the halfpenny
30. Re-watching the episode of 'Would I Lie to You!' where Bob Mortimer claims that he always cracks an egg into his bath on the advice of Chris Rea
31. Buying eggs in my local supermarket then waiting to see if they hatch into chickens (or ducks)