Radio 1's Big Weekend

The forum discussing radio
scottishtv

Radio 1 is doing some Big Weekend programming (of sorts) this weekend, and are presenting from the roof of Broadcasting House - so they can have more presenters together in person (I think). It doesn't sound that great, and we've already heard police cars etc from the streets below. Chris Stark posted this on Twitter:

Anyway, it reminded me of a cringey 80's "day in the life" show I saw on YouTube where everyone is taking themselves far too seriously, mostly presenting in their shirts and ties. The only person having a bit of a laugh was Steve Wright, presenting from the roof...

The posse is still pretty cringe though... (Video here for anyone interested).
Philip

In Steve Wright's defence, I don't think the posse (or his show) were really intended to be purposely cool and he didn't mind being cheesy, although I'm confused because I thought his "posse" just referred to his on-air team, but in that clip it seems to be a separate group who are trying hard to look cool?

This has reminded me of his interview with Chris Moyles for his show about Radio 1 breakfast DJs. It's always amused me that he says when he was hired he was asked to "talk about the bands", his response being that he didn't know anything about the bands, hence he ended up doing his own thing.

Don't get me wrong, Wright is a legendary broadcaster, but the idea of hiring a Radio 1 DJ that didn't know anything about the artists just seems bizarre to me! But then John Peel did say that he was once told by a boss that it was a shame he cared so much about the music. Different times, different station.
scottishtv

Philip wrote: Sun 30 May, 2021 00.24Different times, different station.
You're right. I didn't mean to sound critical of Wrighty. As a kid in the 90s I loved listening to him and the team. That 1988 video was before my time, but having watched the full programme he's the one that seems to be most light-hearted about the whole gig. That's probably why he survived the axe as he was able to keep things fresh.

I think that's why I don't really listen to him on R2 as the big show is so formulaic and the presentation hasn't changed much at all. It's obviously popular though, so I won't get stuck in like people on other forums do.