The Very Official McDonalds (and other fast food outlets) Thread

bilky asko

Jonwo wrote: Fri 29 Jul, 2022 13.42 Surely a wooden or bamboo spoon would be better than cardboard.
It could be a way of reducing the number of waste streams for McDonald's, seeing as they already have paper straws and don't use cutlery for anything else. It may well simply be a cost issue.
WillPS

bilky asko wrote: Fri 29 Jul, 2022 14.28 seeing as they already have paper straws and don't use cutlery for anything else.
Falsehood!

There are loads of other things which require cutlery - salads, burgers when ordered bunless and then at breakfast you have pancakes, jam muffins, porridge etc.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Fri 29 Jul, 2022 14.55
bilky asko wrote: Fri 29 Jul, 2022 14.28 seeing as they already have paper straws and don't use cutlery for anything else.
Falsehood!

There are loads of other things which require cutlery - salads, burgers when ordered bunless and then at breakfast you have pancakes, jam muffins, porridge etc.
This is what I get for not trying everything on the menu! Still, I think it could well be them wanting to reduce the number of waste streams.
Jonwo

McDonald's is making changes to their burgers ahead of their 50th anniversary in the UK, it's already been rolled out in the US so I'll just post this from Delish:
https://www.delish.com/food-news/a46009 ... y-burgers/
Martin Phillp

IT issues are affecting restaurants here in the UK, but also in Japan, Germany, Sweden, Australia and New Zealand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68573106
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

Caused by a third party mis-reconfiguring something, apparently.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68573106
Pete

So I made the mistake of trying to get a breakfast to take away from McDonalds on a Saturday.

22 mins it took. For a McMuffin and coffee.

Deliveroo and the other apps have killed the efficiency of the kitchens. Although I can't help but wonder if in fact they'd manage if they were using the older kitchen format where they made the most popular items in bulk and put them on the racking.

It's like McDonalds completely redesigned their kitchens around the self order and customisation options but failed to anticipate that what they had already would have better suited the impending delivery app boom.

Either that or they just need to embrace dark kitchens and stop clogging up the restaurants with the insulated backpack brigade. I know some now have separate delivery areas for this but its a slow slow rollout.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nick Harvey
God

I can only assume that various factors, not least the home delivery surge, have put people off actually visiting a McDonalds because of the inordinate wait times. Our nearest branch (Trowbridge) has only, in the last month, removed the complicated, zig-zag round the car park, queuing system for the drive thru which they introduced towards the end of covid.
Martin Phillp

The McDonalds in Penge during their refurb built a segregated delivery pick up area to the side of the restaurant as they had so many drivers hanging around taking up tables from paying customers who wanted to eat in.

Other chain restaurants such as Nando's also have put segregated pick up points to the side or rear of the shop to stop people seeing riders in crash helmets and large delivery bags.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

Went to a very nice pizza restaurant recently (a chain but like only a small chain) who also do Deliveroo etc. It’s in the city centre and I quite enjoyed how they had a hatch where delivery people pull up to on their bikes and the pizzas are handed straight out to them. No need to even set foot inside.

Anyone know what sort of pay people get with Deliveroo and the rest? I guess it must be worth it but I couldn’t be arsed.
Martin Phillp

all new Phil wrote: Sun 17 Mar, 2024 17.55Anyone know what sort of pay people get with Deliveroo and the rest? I guess it must be worth it but I couldn’t be arsed.
Deliveroo drivers are paid based on orders and distance along with extra pay where there are more orders. I've watched gig economy workers post what they do on a shift and some orders are as low as £2.50 but around £4-6 is the average with double orders paying more.

London riders tend to earn around £50 for a four hour shift, but it's dependent on how busy it is on that night.

While Deliveroo and Uber Eats allow you to turn on the app and work, Just Eat make you book a shift for four hours in advance.

Like those who work on the mini cab apps, they're self employed.
TVF's London Lite.