The Barclays and other non-Lloyds/TSB Bank thread

WillPS

thegeek wrote: Tue 28 Jun, 2022 19.33
thegeek wrote: Wed 09 Feb, 2022 10.16
thegeek wrote: Tue 13 Oct, 2020 15.24 However, I did get something fancy from them: I selected the Fleet Street RBS branch (which is one of my nearest) and got a swanky looking Visa Debit card from Child & Co, the world's third oldest bank.
Just had a letter from RBS saying they're closing their Fleet Street branch - the end for Child & Co?

I really should find a reason to go and visit before June, because it looks rather swanky inside.
I had a bit of time to spare today and a paper Scottish £20 note burning a hole in my wallet, so paid them a visit today to pay it in. It really is very nice in there - lots of comfy sofas to wait on, lots of discreet consultation booths, a Child & Co ATM/paying-in machine (out of service) and a display case of antique guns(!)

They had some leaflets about the closure, which had some usage stats - it was actually doing a bit more footfall than an average RBS branch in 2019, but only had two "regular" counter customers. It did seem to imply that the brand would continue, though I'm not sure if that would just be for existing clients or how they'd get new business.

Shame to see it go, as there can't be many traditional banking halls left. I wonder what'll replace it? A few doors along there's the poshest looking Pret I've ever seen, which is in another former bank branch.
For what it's worth, I emailed the person listed on the letter informing closure with the following:
Sorry to learn the Child & Co branch is closing. Does this mean the Child & Co brand will disappear completely now? I know the products were standard RBS ones but it was nice having a special debit card while it lasted.
The response I received was:
The Child & Co brand will remain as normal . All of the cheque books debit cards will remain the same. It is just the Branch that is closing.
(Note that they additionally answered a question I didn't ask about chequebooks, so I imagine other people had asked questions on similar lines!)

The person's email signature indicated they were located in the RBS branch on the Old Market Square in Nottingham, which also closed a few weeks ago despite having a major refurb just before Covid.
Martin Phillp

RBS customers are starting to get the new style portrait debit Mastercards while Natwest has this webpage explaining the changes to existing customers.

https://www.natwest.com/current-account ... rcard.html
TVF's London Lite.
BBC TV Centre

I received my new Natwest Debit Mastercard the other day, a horrific looking thing it is too.

If anyone's curious it looks like the card in the screen shot earlier in this thread.

Luckily this account barely gets used as it was my old student account and the card lives in a draw for most of its time.

I'll have to take it for a walk to get it active and do a PIN transaction in the coming weeks.
thegeek

looks like Ulster Bank are also going portrait. These look quite smart:

Beep

Matches their bank notes

Pete

BBC TV Centre wrote: Sat 03 Sep, 2022 20.35 I received my new Natwest Debit Mastercard the other day, a horrific looking thing it is too.
I got a business rbs debit card and they have what appears to be a warehouse door on them. very odd choices all round.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Monolithic

Barclays have not yet given in to portrait. But Barclaycard have so I fear it will not be far away.

A warehouse would be a symbol of business I assume. The standard debit card just has a beach hut. I assume it's meant to represent the customers wish to own a home, they are funny on occasion I tell thee.
Martin Phillp

HSBC to close 114 branches including Dundee.

https://news.sky.com/story/hsbc-begins- ... d-12758594
TVF's London Lite.
Nick Harvey
God

Martin Phillp wrote: HSBC to close 114 branches including Dundee.
Wiltshire will be left with only four branches, Swindon, Salisbury, Devizes and Trowbridge.
BBC TV Centre

No longer the world's local bank so it seems...
Nick Harvey
God

BBC TV Centre wrote: No longer the world's local bank so it seems...
Hehe!

Well, it still is for me, but not for many other people.