The Barclays and other non-Lloyds/TSB Bank thread

WillPS

JAS84 wrote: Sat 14 Oct, 2023 12.26 Yeah, the TV advert acts like they are a bank, not a building society. Are they planning to demutualise?
I very much doubt a demutualisation proposal would be supported by members, even if they somehow worked around charitable assignment.
cwathen

WillPS wrote: Mon 09 Oct, 2023 10.55
Pete wrote: Mon 09 Oct, 2023 08.32 apparently they've finally updated their ancient banking app so you don't need the stupid wee calculator card reader to send tiny amounts of money any more. i'm a shameless "oh i'll sort the bill" person on nights out (I want the Amex points) but there was always one colleague who used paypal to pay me back bc she didn't carry her ridiculous contraption around with her.
You only needed it to set up a payee, not to make a payment - but still it was a pain and yes it's (mostly) been replaced by SMS one time codes now.
Not worked out like that for me. Just transferred some money to one of my own accounts I haven't transferred to before and I still needed the card reader. Fortunately I've got a few since they were all the same anyway. Although apparently it is 'less likely' that I'll need it in the future if I co-operate with the card reader now, even though no other option was available.

On the subject of questionable paraphernalia necessary to operate your bank account, do HSBC still have that stupid 'secure key' thing you had to put on your keyring and carry around with you?
bilky asko

HSBC have had a Digital Secure Key for a while now, which replaces the physical key.

I believe business accounts allow for both a digital key and physical key to be active at the same time.
WillPS

cwathen wrote: Mon 23 Oct, 2023 21.57
WillPS wrote: Mon 09 Oct, 2023 10.55
Pete wrote: Mon 09 Oct, 2023 08.32 apparently they've finally updated their ancient banking app so you don't need the stupid wee calculator card reader to send tiny amounts of money any more. i'm a shameless "oh i'll sort the bill" person on nights out (I want the Amex points) but there was always one colleague who used paypal to pay me back bc she didn't carry her ridiculous contraption around with her.
You only needed it to set up a payee, not to make a payment - but still it was a pain and yes it's (mostly) been replaced by SMS one time codes now.
Not worked out like that for me. Just transferred some money to one of my own accounts I haven't transferred to before and I still needed the card reader. Fortunately I've got a few since they were all the same anyway. Although apparently it is 'less likely' that I'll need it in the future if I co-operate with the card reader now, even though no other option was available.

On the subject of questionable paraphernalia necessary to operate your bank account, do HSBC still have that stupid 'secure key' thing you had to put on your keyring and carry around with you?
Making a payment to an account you haven't transferred to is the same as setting up a payee, no?

HSBC Group still use secure keys although (other than M&S Bank, I think) tend to use the physical device as a fallback option for customers without the app.
Martin Phillp

The card reader came in handy last week when my phone broke and didn't have a spare to get the 2FA SMS to access my online banking on the PC.

I used my mother's Barclays card reader to access my Natwest accounts.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

thegeek wrote: Wed 16 Mar, 2022 11.17
thegeek wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 15.56 Some of the NatWest brands have put their new card artwork online:

Curiously, they've updated the designs and have gone portrait:

Well, that design didn't last long - this is what's now showing on the RBS website:

There's also a new unified credit card design - similar to Nationwide, the accent colour (in this case on the lozenge - which reminds me of the Co-op's branding) changes depending on the type of card:
I've just tried re-adding my RBS credit card in Google Pay and it's still showing the old artwork.
WillPS

Indeed, Natwest Group are gradually dropping all the unique branding elements from RBS other than the logo.

The new credit cards have a square notch, which appears to be a Mastercard initiative: https://www.mastercard.com/news/press/2 ... ed-people/
Martin Phillp

I'm still on Visa with Natwest when they were just starting to issue Mastercard replacements when I had my card replaced in 2022. Not that it's a major issue, but it's clearly a long process to move everyone across. It's still valid until 2025.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 25 Nov, 2023 16.22 I'm still on Visa with Natwest when they were just starting to issue Mastercard replacements when I had my card replaced in 2022. Not that it's a major issue, but it's clearly a long process to move everyone across. It's still valid until 2025.
6 of my 7 Natwest Group cards are now Mastercard. Three of those have always had Mastercards (opened last year), the other 3 were all replaced at once in about March this year, the replaced Visas had a stated expiration of 2026. The remaining one is my longest held account and has an expiration date of 2025 (but I doubt it'll make it to that).

I think they're replacing them all sort code by sort code, so my main RBS branch (15-80-00, London Child & Co) is all Mastercard now, but my Natwest branch (60-80-09, Nottingham Victoria) is still a mixture. Presumably at some point there'll be a small enough number of Visa Debits left group-wide that they can just send replacements for all of them.
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote: Sun 26 Nov, 2023 09.30
Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 25 Nov, 2023 16.22 I'm still on Visa with Natwest when they were just starting to issue Mastercard replacements when I had my card replaced in 2022. Not that it's a major issue, but it's clearly a long process to move everyone across. It's still valid until 2025.
6 of my 7 Natwest Group cards are now Mastercard. Three of those have always had Mastercards (opened last year), the other 3 were all replaced at once in about March this year, the replaced Visas had a stated expiration of 2026. The remaining one is my longest held account and has an expiration date of 2025 (but I doubt it'll make it to that).

I think they're replacing them all sort code by sort code, so my main RBS branch (15-80-00, London Child & Co) is all Mastercard now, but my Natwest branch (60-80-09, Nottingham Victoria) is still a mixture. Presumably at some point there'll be a small enough number of Visa Debits left group-wide that they can just send replacements for all of them.
I'm 60-16-16 Peckham, so that would explain why mine is still with Visa.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

The two floor Barclays on Tottenham Court Road in London which was converted from an EasyInternetCafe in the late noughties is closing on November 1st 2024.
TVF's London Lite.