The Barclays and other non-Lloyds/TSB Bank thread

scottishtv

BBC TV Centre wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 10.02I wonder if this generic image on the site is what our cards might look like in future:
If you go into the Current accounts section on the website you can see each account and it's card colour.

The credit card is shown on this page.

(Edit: updated to link to better graphics of the new cards)
scottishtv

thegeek wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 14.30you can re-add your card to your digital wallet if you want to get the new design.
Ah, thanks. Here's the standard FlexAccount debit card then:

cwathen

WillPS wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 00.48 Nationwide have rebranded. Their old logo was dated but the new branding has got a very 90s feel.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about-us/a ... -changing/
Good grief, that is awful. It looks like a reject from Natwest's early 00s rebrand. From a distance at first glance the new all red building even looks like half a Natwest logo. Who the hell signed off on that and why are they still employed?

Also, I thought Nationwide were incredibly proud of being an outlyer retaining traditional embossed cards when everyone else phased them out citing accessibility and even going so far as to have an RNIB logo on the back of current gen cards. But they're going too now.
thegeek

It looks like the RNIB approval is for the 'dot and notch' features - I think it would be a struggle to 'read' the embossed numbers.

https://www.finextra.com/newsarticle/38 ... ind-people
thegeek

also, the logotype bears more than a few similarities to their US namesake:

gottago

Please, for the love of Christ tell me this finally means the end of the poetry and dreary chat adverts?
Pete

apparently they've finally updated their ancient banking app so you don't need the stupid wee calculator card reader to send tiny amounts of money any more. i'm a shameless "oh i'll sort the bill" person on nights out (I want the Amex points) but there was always one colleague who used paypal to pay me back bc she didn't carry her ridiculous contraption around with her.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Mon 09 Oct, 2023 08.32 apparently they've finally updated their ancient banking app so you don't need the stupid wee calculator card reader to send tiny amounts of money any more. i'm a shameless "oh i'll sort the bill" person on nights out (I want the Amex points) but there was always one colleague who used paypal to pay me back bc she didn't carry her ridiculous contraption around with her.
You only needed it to set up a payee, not to make a payment - but still it was a pain and yes it's (mostly) been replaced by SMS one time codes now.
gottago wrote: Sun 08 Oct, 2023 10.59 Please, for the love of Christ tell me this finally means the end of the poetry and dreary chat adverts?
Yes, you'll now have Dominic West pretending to be a stereotype of a bank CEO.
Charlie Wells

tillyoshea wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 08.42
WillPS wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 00.48 Nationwide have rebranded. Their old logo was dated but the new branding has got a very 90s feel.
They’ve taken the heavily stylised church behind the house out of their logo. I think that would have attracted the ire of the right-wing press a decade ago, but I suspect even they won’t care these days.
Perhaps more significantly they've removed the words "Building Society". This rebrand would make it easier for them should they ever wish to become a bank in the future.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
WillPS

Charlie Wells wrote: Mon 09 Oct, 2023 15.39
tillyoshea wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 08.42
They’ve taken the heavily stylised church behind the house out of their logo. I think that would have attracted the ire of the right-wing press a decade ago, but I suspect even they won’t care these days.
Perhaps more significantly they've removed the words "Building Society". This rebrand would make it easier for them should they ever wish to become a bank in the future.
Enforced charitable assignment since the late 90s (when members voted down a demutualisation) assures that'll probably never happen now, but yes it is notable that the wording they added deliberately in 2016 is now gone and replaced by something alluding to them being a bank.
JAS84

Yeah, the TV advert acts like they are a bank, not a building society. Are they planning to demutualise?