The Official McDonalds & other Fast Food Thread

bilky asko

WillPS wrote:It was the only McDonalds I've visited in the UK where the drinks were self serve.
I've been to two - ASDA Kingswood, funnily enough, and (I believe) in York, where it was touted as a feature - the latter was over a decade ago, though.
james2001

WillPS wrote:It was the only McDonalds I've visited in the UK where the drinks were self serve.
The only McDonald's I've been to anywhere where the drinks were self-serve was the one in Terminal 4 at JFK airport!
WillPS

james2001 wrote:
The only McDonald's I've been to anywhere where the drinks were self-serve was the one in Terminal 4 at JFK airport!
Really? All the branches I visited in the states did it that way (NC, SC, Georgia, Florida).
jonathan

james2001 wrote:
Straiton in Edinburgh had self serve drinks when it first opened. It got a refit a couple of years ago but I think the self serve drinks went a good while before that.

The McDonald's in Asda Chessser in Edinburgh has self serve drinks.
james2001

WillPS wrote:
james2001 wrote:
Really? All the branches I visited in the states did it that way (NC, SC, Georgia, Florida).
Yeah, I went to Pittsburgh (the city where the Big Mac was developed funnily enough!) and neither the one in the city centre or the one in their Airport was self serve. I'm going to Atlanta next month, so I guess I'll see what it's like there.
bilky asko

jonathan wrote:The McDonald's in Asda Chessser in Edinburgh has self serve drinks.
That's probably a feature of all the McDonald's concessions at ASDAs.

The one at Kingswood in Hull is a funny one. The counter is the narrowest I've ever seen at a McDonald's (even the Central London branch I went to, with no seats, had a bigger one), and the fixtures and fittings (until a year or two ago) weren't particularly recognisable as McDonald's, and pretty shabby.

EDIT: That reminds me, I remember using the self-serve machine to try the Fruitizz that had recently launched. It came out clear, which surprised me, and it seemed to have no flavour whatsoever. It took me a minute to realise I was actually drinking fizzy water, and the syrup had run out.
tillyoshea

The McDonalds within Roys of Wroxham had self-service drinks the last time I passed... although that was three or four years ago now.
thegeek

Do we need a McDonald's thread now?
My local branch appears to have touchscreens for ordering, thus diminishing the McJob even further.
Philip

Can we talk about Subway? I went to a Subway drive-thru recently. They make your subs the same as if you parked up and went in and ordered it, at the front of the shop. You have to wait the same amount of time. So what's the point? I dread to think how long you'd have to wait if there was a considerable queue.
james2001

Another import of what they've had abroad, I've been using touchscreen ordering in German McDonald's for the past 5 years!
Pete

thegeek wrote:Do we need a McDonald's thread now?
oh go on then...

But yes, touch screens are a stable in Germany and Italy. Italy also have bins that compact the rubbish.
"He has to be larger than bacon"