Windows 9 is now Windows 10

woah

So it is. Thank you!
Martin Phillp

For those of you with a NVIDIA graphics card, the Win 10 drivers have been released.
TVF's London Lite.
cwathen

dosxuk wrote:Despite all these people
predicting doom with automatic updates being turned on, I've never seen a computer broken by one.
I have two main concerns with the forced updates.

Firstly, as much as few people will complain about it since it was peddling a free software upgrade, something didn't sit right with me about the 'reserve Windows 10' thing that went onto Windows 7/8, down to having a little icon on your taskbar which was pushed out as an important update and automatically installed by those who had automatic updates. The actual upgrade just comes through Windows update like anything else, the 'reserve' thing is nothing more than adware. I don't like the idea of Microsoft pushing adware onto my OS which I've bought and paid for because it fits their business plan, and I wonder if it will stop there - will they suddenly start peddling Office 2016 or Office 365 to me through updates next year because they detect I'm on Office 2003? Will they go further and start selling advertising onto Windows 10 desktops in the future? If I take up the free Windows 10 I'm entitled to (which would only be for home) I have no way of stopping this from coming through and that doesn't sit right with me.

Secondly, compulsory security updates are one thing, but any update being mandatory (which would include drivers and feature updates) doesn't sit right with me either. I've personally experienced issues with driver updates from Microsoft which end up being worse than manufacturer issued versions, and feature updates potentially could break something and/or force you onto a newer version of something when you preferred the older. Considering Microsoft has done things like Windows 8 at all, I don't want to be carried along with whatever they deem to be progress, I want to be able to decide whether or not I want a new feature myself.

The option is all I'm asking for - I completely agree that it's for the best to leave all updates on automatic by default, I just want the option to change it.
dosxuk

The problem is too many "experts" have told too many normal users to turn automatic updates off as soon as you get the computer because all that does is break your computer. It's not unusual to have to re-enable it on my parents' computers because the "nice man at PC World said...".

In over 20 years of using Windows, using and maintaining hundreds of machines, I've never had a system issue caused by Windows Update. I agree they exist, but not to the extent the doom-mongers are making out. The benefits of enforced automatic updates far outweigh the tiny fraction of a percentage of machines which may have an issue with one or more updates in their lifetimes, or the risk of Microsoft sending a nasty tray icon your way.
simonipswich

woah wrote:Edge seems pretty good but not good enough to move me away from Chrome. I thought IE11 was okayish, but I think the new browser is a good move because even your average user tends to replace IE within about 5 seconds of getting a new PC nowadays.
I don't see why people have such a downer on IE, I used it, IE11 and had no issues with it (or previous versions). I also downloaded Google Chrome which I hated, we use FireFox at work which is total pants but I downloaded IE11 on my work station and use that at work! I am now in the process of changing over to Windows 10 so it will be interesting to see what Edge is like.
Martin Phillp

I'm back on Windows 7 after the install went wrong on the final part of the install.

TVF's London Lite.
Critique

As always updating Windows is a hellish experience. I started the procedure at 2:30pm yesterday and I'm still not on Windows 8.1, yet alone 10! I appreciate that I had a large number of updates to install, but that doesn't explain why Windows has been so rubbish during the update procedure. First of all, it downloaded all the updates, restarted to install them, and then after saying it had done them all restarted again, did some 'applying update' stuff and turned on to say it had only managed about fifty and that the rest had failed. Windows Update then claimed that all the updates had been installed and that it didn't know what I was on about for a while, until it suddenly went 'ooh look I've found 117 updates down the back of the sofa'. It then had to redownload the remaining updates (why, surely they're still on the system?) and install them all again. Upon restart it cancelled the procedure and I am now watching it install the remaining updates for a third time at a snail's pace - if I wanted to be an early adopted I physically couldn't be!
simonipswich

Well I am now on Windows 10... I like it, install finalized overnight and everything went well, all my stuff is on there, it created an folder called Windows.old so I assume if you want to go back you can. Edge is nice, imported everything from IE no problem, it's now doing a disk clean up; Windows Media Player is still there but I suspect on a new clean copy of Windows 10 it wouldn't be. Office is working, so all in all I am pretty impressed with it so far.
Philip

Oh, Windows Update is a POS. It takes forever to do anything. Forever to check for the damn updates, during which time the only information you get is "Checking for updates". No estimated time remaining, no percentage.

Then when you actually choose the updates, every so often Microsoft puts a nice little surprise into the 'Optional updates' section, like Bing for Desktop or Skype. Because they somehow count as "updates".

And finally, when downloading/installing the updates, not only does it also take forever, but sometimes, when there is a large amount of updates, the percentage/amount downloaded seems to get stuck. This means you can be fooled into thinking there is nothing happening, before it suddenly jumps from 0% to 57%.

--

I'm still not a fan of the look of Windows 10. I feel like I'm the only one who thinks it looks very basic and ugly compared to Vista/7.
Martin Phillp

I tried again overnight to install Win 10. Managed to get to 93% then went to a black screen.
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

If you have Media Center on 7 or 8.1, you'll have Windows DVD Player in Windows 10.
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-ro ... dia-center