Windows 9 is now Windows 10

lukey

WillPS wrote:Microsoft are not alone in skipping OS version numbers - skipping to 10 as if it has some kind of significance is a bit of an annoying trend triggered by MacOSX.
What trend exactly - releasing OS X after Mac OS 9?
Alexia

lukey wrote:
WillPS wrote:Microsoft are not alone in skipping OS version numbers - skipping to 10 as if it has some kind of significance is a bit of an annoying trend triggered by MacOSX.
God forbid me to defend WillPS, but I think he means that OSX made the "10" part "cool" and that everyone else wanted to be 10 to catch on to the "cool" factor.

Apart from Android, which is fairly arbitrary as to which versions get numbers, letters etc. There's a lot of flutter about Android L being 5.0, when it can easily be 4.5 or 4.4.5
Nick Harvey
God

X is yet another problem. Coding to compare Roman numerals is a nightmare.

Adobe Reader is currently on XI. Confusion is likely to reign when they get to XIV.
WillPS

Code: Select all

function romanToInteger($roman){
$romans = array(
    'M' => 1000,
    'CM' => 900,
    'D' => 500,
    'CD' => 400,
    'C' => 100,
    'XC' => 90,
    'L' => 50,
    'XL' => 40,
    'X' => 10,
    'IX' => 9,
    'V' => 5,
    'IV' => 4,
    'I' => 1,
);

$result = 0;

foreach ($romans as $key => $value) {
    while (strpos($roman, $key) === 0) {
        $result += $value;
        $roman = substr($roman, strlen($key));
    }
}
return $result;
}
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6265 ... ger-in-php
martindtanderson

Windows 10 is the merging of all Microsoft OS's. It will run on all devices:
  • System on Chips (SoC) everything from lightbulbs and toasters, to pianos and skateboards;
  • Embedded devices and rugged-ised mobile devices - ATMs and Tills to Tesco delivery handsets;
  • Phones and Phablets;
  • Tablets and Notebooks/Laptops;
  • Convertables and Two in One;
  • All in One PCs;
  • Desktops and Gaming PCs;
  • Xbox One;
  • Servers and Datacentres;
  • Cloud datastores and computing farms;
Unlike with Windows 8, the Windows 10 OS will only load the needed services and UI shell that is required by that form factor. And the UI presented will be tailored and adapted to suit the device.

Windows 8 was developed by a "main Windows" team led by a guy called Steven Sinofsky. When they were designing it, they (in their wisdom) decided not to consult with the Windows Phone, Xbox, and Windows Embedded teams. If they had, they would have not made some of the same mistakes that the Windows Phone team ironed out when developing the modern flat UI which has influenced all other OS designs.

Whilst Windows 8.1 fixed some of those issues, now that all the OS teams within Microsoft have merged, the Windows Phone leaders are in charge, and User Feedback is being put at the heart of development between now and Summer 2015 - I think Windows 10 will be much better received, even if I choose to use a Start Screen, instead of the Menu, when I use it. :)
lukey

Alexia wrote:
lukey wrote:
God forbid me to defend WillPS, but I think he means that OSX made the "10" part "cool" and that everyone else wanted to be 10 to catch on to the "cool" factor.
Ah ha. What are the examples of this?
Alexia

Ask him, not me. He mentioned Blackberry (jumped from 7.1 to 10) and said he was "sure there were others." After a brief glance at WIKI I can't find any computer or mobile OSs that have, but there we go.
cwathen

I've downloaded the 32 bit build largely to see what support for legacy systems is like. By now I had hoped to have tried it out and be able to report on what I found...but can't get it to install. Virtual PC displays the splash screen then BSODs and reboots, Virtual Box goes a bit further and then gives me a warning about using PAE to support more than 4GB of RAM (although I've only allocated it 1GB of RAM in settings) which despite it having options, none do anything other than land me back at the same screen. Anyone else succeeded with it in a virtual machine?

Interesting bit about PAE though - Microsoft have brainwashed us into believing that you need to go 64 bit to have more than 4GB of RAM (or to get your 4GB system to use more than 3.2ish GB) but ignored the fact that Windows 2000 used PAE to natively supported up to 32GB of RAM in some versions even though all variants of Windows 2000 were 32 bit...does this mean PAE is supported in Windows 10 then? If so that will be an interesting move...I opted to buy a 32 bit version of Windows 7 for it's superior backwards compatibility for older hardware and software and at the time was only on 1GB of RAM which it supported. However 5 years on I decided I would go to 64 bit when I next upgraded as I've now hit the RAM ceiling - a 4GB system only able to use 80% of the installed RAM. If Microsoft come up with a 32 bit Windows 10 which will support more RAM then I may well buy 32 bit again.
martindtanderson wrote: Windows 10 is the merging of all Microsoft OS's. It will run on all devices
Except of course that there are so many different platforms involved that we will almost certainly end up with the Windows RT / Windows 8 situation - there may well be a common look and feel across different devices but it certainly won't be the same operating system in terms of having much in the way of hardware or software portability. I think the best we'll end up with is some kind of universal 'app' framework which will run across the lot but proper applications will still only run on the PC version. You would think that by now most devices would be powerful enough to implement seamless emulation support for 32 bit x86 applications across the board which - let's be honest - most Windows software still is. I'm thinking in the way that the 32 bit builds of modern Windows operating systems can run DOS/Windows 3.1 software as if it was natively supported when it's actually just running in an emulation. The idea of marketing a phone or a tablet which could run proper PC applications software would be a huge pluspoint to pull people away from Android/iOS devices.
Alexia wrote: God forbid me to defend WillPS, but I think he means that OSX made the "10" part "cool" and that everyone else wanted to be 10 to catch on to the "cool" factor.
I always thought the reason they went for 'OS X' as a name was as a nod to the fact that it is essentially a flavour of Unix unlike OS 9 and the previous versions which were proprietary. I also thought that's why they've never stopped calling it OS X - if it was just a 'Version 10' thing than after 12+ years you'd think they'd move on.
Alexia

Well they're at 10.9 now so something's gotta change.
martindtanderson

cwathen wrote:
martindtanderson wrote: Windows 10 is the merging of all Microsoft OS's. It will run on all devices
Except of course that there are so many different platforms involved that we will almost certainly end up with the Windows RT / Windows 8 situation - there may well be a common look and feel across different devices but it certainly won't be the same operating system in terms of having much in the way of hardware or software portability. I think the best we'll end up with is some kind of universal 'app' framework which will run across the lot but proper applications will still only run on the PC version. You would think that by now most devices would be powerful enough to implement seamless emulation support for 32 bit x86 applications across the board which - let's be honest - most Windows software still is. I'm thinking in the way that the 32 bit builds of modern Windows operating systems can run DOS/Windows 3.1 software as if it was natively supported when it's actually just running in an emulation. The idea of marketing a phone or a tablet which could run proper PC applications software would be a huge pluspoint to pull people away from Android/iOS devices.
When you are building "Universal Apps" these run on Phone, ARM, Xbox One, x86 and x64. So this is how Windows 10 will support apps that run on all platforms, not emulation. Classic Win32 apps however will only run on the classic desktop, laptop, 2 in one devices running x86 or x64 processors.

Personally running classic desktop apps on my phone or tablet is a nightmare, so I hope that is never proposed.
Philip

Alexia wrote:Well they're at 10.9 now so something's gotta change.
Erm, actually... http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-conte ... 24x796.png