Public Transport in your particular part of the region

Martin Phillp

I also went on the Elizabeth line today from Whitechapel to Tottenham Court Road and as Jonwo mentions, I was gobsmacked at the size of the corridors and platforms which really do have enough capacity to handle large crowds of passengers.

Compared to the likes of the Northern and Jubilee lines, they're nowhere as loud to ride and despite them having so many people boarding, it never felt packed and got a seat on both trips. This was between 6 and 7pm.

It cut my usual time to travel to TCR by around 10 minutes and I didn't have to change at Waterloo and walk along the long travellator that runs between the Jubilee and the other tube lines.

What I would say is that it makes the Overground Class 378 units seem old already and the air con was struggling, while on the Elizabeth Line 345 units, there were no issues with air con even with people standing in the gangways.

I had to buy the collectors Oyster card!

TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 27 May, 2022 20.38 I also went on the Elizabeth line today from Whitechapel to Tottenham Court Road and as Jonwo mentions, I was gobsmacked at the size of the corridors and platforms which really do have enough capacity to handle large crowds of passengers.

Compared to the likes of the Northern and Jubilee lines, they're nowhere as loud to ride and despite them having so many people boarding, it never felt packed and got a seat on both trips. This was between 6 and 7pm.

It cut my usual time to travel to TCR by around 10 minutes and I didn't have to change at Waterloo and walk along the long travellator that runs between the Jubilee and the other tube lines.

What I would say is that it makes the Overground Class 378 units seem old already and the air con was struggling, while on the Elizabeth Line 345 units, there were no issues with air con even with people standing in the gangways.

I had to buy the collectors Oyster card!

TBF The 378s are 13 years old and probably will feel antiquated compared to the 345s and the 710s which are the same Aventra family.

Still waiting for SWR to crack on with the 701s which are still not in service.
BBC TV Centre

SWR are a bunch of jokers, they exist to squeeze cash out of commuters along the lines out of Waterloo.

GB Rail sale? Nah, fat chance, my station doesn't even appear in the listings...

I went on the Elizabeth line for the first time yesterday, going from my office in Ealing to central London.

Very smooth ride, it versuses the Central line are night and day. I've had many a journey on the Central line and it is the grimmest of the lot.

The architecture of the new stations is amazing, and you feel a lot less enclosed compared to any of the other lines, with the warren of stairways and tight spaces.

Someone did write into the Metro newspaper this week about a lack phone charging ports on the new trains. Are we really all so engrossed into our 6" diagonal devices that we can't charge at home/work before leaving?!
Jonwo

I rode the Central section of the Elizabeth Line today and while I was impressed when I travelled from Paddington to TCR, seeing the other stations is just incredible. My favourite is a toss up between Woolwich and Paddington, I would say that a lot of people will need to get used to the different ends of the Elizabeth Line stations especially at Farringdon and Liverpool Street otherwise you'll end up getting out and not being at your desired destination.

Looking forward to the tunnels connecting up and also Bond Street opening.
Martin Phillp

Whitechapel is excellent for being able to go between the Overground and Elizabeth line platforms.

It'll all fit into place when I'm able to go to Ealing Broadway or Stratford/Romford with just one change, but so far the UK version of the RER/S-Bahn is up there with the best.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

BBC TV Centre wrote: Sat 28 May, 2022 16.51Someone did write into the Metro newspaper this week about a lack phone charging ports on the new trains. Are we really all so engrossed into our 6" diagonal devices that we can't charge at home/work before leaving?!
No but the London Overground 710s have them and they're from the same family. What people will forget is that the 345s are a few years older than the 710s but this may be the first time many are riding them.

The fact that the Pendolinos only had sockets at tables in standard until their current refurb amazes me, but of course they are 20 year old trains
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Jonwo

The 345s went into service in 2017 IIRC on the Liverpool to Shenfield branch, the 710s were meant to arrive in 2018 on the Goblin but got delayed a year.

They’re still great trains and honestly I think the Elizabeth Line will show the advantages when we have a summer heatwave, it can be unbearable on the deep level Tube
Martin Phillp

On the short hop core section, I really can't see the point of USB sockets and sockets, but if you're travelling from Twyford to Canary Wharf, I can see the advantage of having the USB charger at least. But I suspect most journeys will be short hop and those from Reading where GWR fares still apply will continue on the fast services into Paddington and change for Crossrail which is next to the mainline station.

Reading the railway forums, there are some rather complex fare issues that need to be ironed out, including the fact that for Oyster and Contactless, it's considered to be part of the Underground for fares and that some paper tickets from SE London to London Terminals can be used at Liverpool Street, even if they don't open the gateline. Plus Thameslink customers have been overcharged when changing at Farringdon.
TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 29 May, 2022 19.02 On the short hop core section, I really can't see the point of USB sockets and sockets, but if you're travelling from Twyford to Canary Wharf, I can see the advantage of having the USB charger at least. But I suspect most journeys will be short hop and those from Reading where GWR fares still apply will continue on the fast services into Paddington and change for Crossrail which is next to the mainline station.

Reading the railway forums, there are some rather complex fare issues that need to be ironed out, including the fact that for Oyster and Contactless, it's considered to be part of the Underground for fares and that some paper tickets from SE London to London Terminals can be used at Liverpool Street, even if they don't open the gateline. Plus Thameslink customers have been overcharged when changing at Farringdon.
TBF there were always going to be teething issues with the opening but I imagine these will be sorted within the next few weeks and months.

I don't mind USBs but given a lot of phones now are USB C, having USB A sockets or even USB C sockets will be a bit redundant as time goes on and technology progresses.

I was surprised that the Elizabeth Line still has a small number of Class 315s, I assume those will be scrapped in the Autumn once everything is connected.
Martin Phillp

Jonwo wrote: Sun 29 May, 2022 19.13 I was surprised that the Elizabeth Line still has a small number of Class 315s, I assume those will be scrapped in the Autumn once everything is connected.
They might be kept on for the Liverpool Street (mainline) to Gidea Park peak extras. Apparently they're de branded from TfL Rail, but have Elizabeth line diagrams inside the units.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Jonwo wrote: Sun 29 May, 2022 19.13 I don't mind USBs but given a lot of phones now are USB C, having USB A sockets or even USB C sockets will be a bit redundant as time goes on and technology progresses.
I carry a USB A to C cable with me for on-the-go charging purposes. My gut is that USB A won't ever be dropped from sockets at cafes etc, at most it'll be a combination of both A and C.