Public Transport in your particular part of the region

cwathen

Alexia wrote:Can't say much in public, but the strikes ARE having an effect, trust me. Watch this space - another union/company meeting scheduled for this week.
Whilst I will of course defer to your wisdom in being privy to information which I am not, but with all respect you said that last week, the company still hasn't moved. I would hope by now we can both agree that you really need ASLEF to join you as withdrawal of their drivers is the only thing which appears likely to force a complete shutdown, and you need a complete shutdown to wield any significant clout. Your strikes are fundamentally weakened by the simple fact that the trains are still running. Regardless of the competence of the substitute staff, the majority of the passengers only really care that the trains run, and whilst the RMT will of course have a field day if there is a major incident during a strike, the odds are that there probably won't be.
Alexia wrote: FGW will not want to continually lose £millions in cancellation fines and management overtime costs in perpetuity. If strikes are scheduled strategically - i.e. on weekends, it means workers will not lose that much in wages unless they planned on doing overtime.
Are you sure they're getting overtime for it? No one has a right to be paid for overtime, the company is perfectly entitled to compensate it instead with time off in lieu. Are you sure they're getting anything extra? As regards the cancellation fines, weekend strikes (particularly Sunday strikes) mean fewer cancelled services as the timetable is more sparse anyway, so this may make the strikes more affordable for the company?
In meantime, from my part of world, can confirm that once again, union, non-union and other union staff have all, 100%, chucked in their Sunday.
On this, I did notice this morning that some regular faces were dispatching trains off of Newton Abbot and Exeter St Davids (alongside the 3 or 4 'station managers' which these stations apparently have according to their hi-vis). I've never bothered checking to see if they wear a union pin, but I'd always assumed these were RMT staff, based on how long they've been there if nothing else. I also haven't seen them around on the days of the previous strikes. Are all RMT members definitely out on this one?
WillPS

I eagerly await the inevitable management climb down.
Alexia

Station managers wouldnt be in RMT, they'd be in TSSA.
Alexia

cwathen wrote:Whilst I will of course defer to your wisdom in being privy to information which I am not, but with all respect you said that last week, the company still hasn't moved.
Correction: Hadn't moved enough to avert this weekend's strike.
I would hope by now we can both agree that you really need ASLEF to join you as withdrawal of their drivers is the only thing which appears likely to force a complete shutdown,
ASLEF aren't in dispute with FGW, therefore they don't have to do a thing. ASLEF will know that they can negotiate a nice payrise for the drivers to take on the extra duties of opening and closing the doors so they're keeping shtum at the moment. Despite the indignant words of the drivers in the messroom they're mostly no-way inclined to chuck in their Sundays in sympathy.
thegeek

on a non-industrial action-related note, are the new style train tickets everywhere yet?

JAS84

Stagecoach in Hull is changing most of the route numbers on Sunday. The only services unaffected are routes 1 and 2. The new system is called Simplibus, but it's anything but simple. For example, route 30 and 30A becomes route 10 (the two old routes ran every 20 minutes, so most stops had a service every ten minutes - the new 10 timetable shows a service that's every 15 minutes except early in the morning - an inferior service. :x). There was already a route 10, which becomes route 13, and there was already a route 13, which becomes route 3. That's going to cause some confusion - I can see a lot of people picking up the wrong timetables. The route numbers range from 1 to 16, but there's no route 15... a number that did exist on the old system. The only change I do like is service 28, which becomes 8. That route was previously number 8 back when the buses were run by the local council.
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-bus ... story.html
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/SEM-SimplibusHull.aspx
cwathen

thegeek wrote:on a non-industrial action-related note, are the new style train tickets everywhere yet?
Down here they're being issued by ex-Wessex ticket machines (and other machines of that style), but original FGW ticket machines still have the old style, as do all ticket offices and portable machines.

I have mixed feelings about the redesign - it is clearer in terms of being more descriptive in the information conveyed rather than relying so much on abbreviations and codes (although I think it's a bit of a cop out to replace 'Validity - See Restrictns' with 'This ticket can only be used at certain times. For details ask staff or go to nationalrail.co.uk' - it might be clearer in terms of explaining that the ticket has limited validity but it still does nothing to explain what that validity is).

However, a side effect of being more descriptive is that it can be less clear with everything so bunched up and heavy use of tiny text to fit everything in - particularly the way the station names are crammed in with no spacing between the lines and no longer being in capitals somehow makes them less obvious when you're juggling several tickets and trying to quickly find the right one. Replacing the big 'OUT' and 'RTN' markers with tiny 'Outward' and 'Return' text at the top (black-on-orange isn't a great combination either) is also a bit less clear too I feel.

A 'before and after' comparison, if an ironic one in that the 'before' ticket is newer, and the 'after' one is a bit of an oddity, being printed on really old ticket stock (non-circled National Rail logo, green text says 'Rail Settlement Plan' rather than 'National Rail').
bilky asko

JAS84 wrote:Stagecoach in Hull is changing most of the route numbers on Sunday. The only services unaffected are routes 1 and 2. The new system is called Simplibus, but it's anything but simple. For example, route 30 and 30A becomes route 10 (the two old routes ran every 20 minutes, so most stops had a service every ten minutes - the new 10 timetable shows a service that's every 15 minutes except early in the morning - an inferior service. :x). There was already a route 10, which becomes route 13, and there was already a route 13, which becomes route 3. That's going to cause some confusion - I can see a lot of people picking up the wrong timetables. The route numbers range from 1 to 16, but there's no route 15... a number that did exist on the old system. The only change I do like is service 28, which becomes 8. That route was previously number 8 back when the buses were run by the local council.
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-bus ... story.html
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/SEM-SimplibusHull.aspx
The one bus I used in Hull regularly when I was there was the number 15, which is now a number 5... except only half of the buses Monday-Saturday daytime go to Kingswood, so the route is far less convenient for a spot of shopping at ASDA, for example.

As you say, it seems to be a way to cut down the regularity of their buses, under the guise of condensing the numbering system.
Andrew

I'm not a fan, the weird spacing between the lines makes it harder to read and looks like a fake ticket. It might be just because its a change that needs getting used to, but it seems like dumbing down, people can't understand tickets with codes etc so print entire sentances in the plainest of English possible instead.

The ticket also now incorporating the reservation coupon on the same ticket is also a feature.

Regarding Stagecoach Hull, there is usually a rule of thumb to not renumber services using numbers that are already being used, If the new service has no common ground with the previous service.
cwathen

Andrew wrote:I'm not a fan, the weird spacing between the lines makes it harder to read and looks like a fake ticket. It might be just because its a change that needs getting used to, but it seems like dumbing down, people can't understand tickets with codes etc so print entire sentances in the plainest of English possible instead.

The ticket also now incorporating the reservation coupon on the same ticket is also a feature.
It may just be getting used to, the old design has been basically unchanged since APTIS was introduced in the mid-80's. With this change, one of the last vestiges of BR branding will also go - to this day tickets with Network Railcard discounts have 'NSE' on them, a throwback to when the railcard was first introduced by Network SouthEast. I do think it a bit odd though that the clearest part of the ticket is the text saying 'Adult Standard Class with Devon and Cornwall Railcard' - I already know that, it's what I either asked for at the ticket office or selected on the ticket machine, that information is only useful for the guard checking tickets who should reasonably be expected to be able to quickly decipher the information on the old ticket.

It is useful to do away with the separate reservation coupon for seat reservations, but I've not seen a ticket with that built in yet. On that subject - is it only me who thinks the customer should be asked whether they want a reservation rather than being forced into it? Frequently work book me open return tickets which come with reservations because they're booked in advance when I have no intention of travelling on the trains I have a reservation on. I do feel guilty that on a busy service some poor sod could be standing rather than occupy my reserved seat when I'm not even on the train. Going off on a further tangent, Crosscountry's policy of continuing to book seat reservations on trains already in service really irks me too - you can be travelling in an unreserved seat and then have that seat booked from under you whilst you're sitting in it - surely it's reasonable that if the passenger isn't organised enough to book their ticket before the train departs then they should have to take their chances on getting a seat on that train and not be able to turf someone out who's already sat down?
Critique

Whilst it isn't demonstrated there the new tickets are ultimately better than the old ones for a number of reasons. As mentioned previously they do away with the separate reservation coupon, and where a journey is made up of travel on multiple reserved trains the ticket comes with an itinerary of what trains the passenger is booked onto. The restriction code information might seem like a cop-out but it does now at least also give a link to a webpage explaining what the restrictions of the ticket are.