Public Transport in your particular part of the region

thegeek

TfL taps - even on buses - show up in the app more or less instantaneously. I've even had a few lately where I've checked mid-journey and it's showing a "missing touch out" at what it assumes is my destination. (It's usually right too.)

But yes, thinking about it, Monzo Plus accounts let you generate a disposable card and add it to Google Pay. I guess removing the card before the day's charge comes through could mean free travel for the day. Laws of unintended consequences, and all that.
Blewatter

Well, the public transport in my part of the world is in a bit of a pickle. For 2 weeks, all Arriva North West buses have been on strike over a pay dispute. In a show and tell of 'What happens when you only have one bus company running the majority of your services', a good chunk of the region has been particularly crippled in regards to getting to and from work, and (during the last week of it) school. Places like Skelmersdale, which doesn't have a railway station, are practically cut off on Public transport.

The Railway strikes for those of us who have train stations has similarly made it very hard to go places. It's not been a fun time. Lots of summer plans gone down the drain because Arriva can't (or won't) give their workers a fair pay deal.
Martin Phillp

Up until now, it hasn't been too bad with the strikes with London Overground operating on strike days until July 30th where combined with Southeastern striking, the buses were heaving today.
TVF's London Lite.
BBC TV Centre

thegeek wrote: Sat 30 Jul, 2022 13.51 TfL taps - even on buses - show up in the app more or less instantaneously. I've even had a few lately where I've checked mid-journey and it's showing a "missing touch out" at what it assumes is my destination. (It's usually right too.)

But yes, thinking about it, Monzo Plus accounts let you generate a disposable card and add it to Google Pay. I guess removing the card before the day's charge comes through could mean free travel for the day. Laws of unintended consequences, and all that.
I'm surprised there is no way to block the virtual card BIN ranges?

I have noticed through casual observation the people on TFL buses that have the most issues with the "double beep" are using the cards on their phones in Apple/Android pay and taking a long time whilst they faff to get their real card out or sort their phone.

Don't understand the regression back to cash - surely that makes the buses more of a target since the local yobbos will now know there's more notes on board.
Jonwo

Minimum service requirement are a matter of when rather than if, I know the unions will be furious and kick a fuss but I think the general public would embrace it if it came into fruition. It already exists in countries like France, Spain and Italy.
harshy

Yeah I was planning to go to London, pretty much was gonna be a geeky trip if you like, visiting tv studios around central London, but yeah the strikes has put paid to that little ambition anyway, but there’s always next time :-)
WillPS

harshy wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 21.22 Yeah I was planning to go to London, pretty much was gonna be a geeky trip if you like, visiting tv studios around central London, but yeah the strikes has put paid to that little ambition anyway, but there’s always next time :-)
Why? The strikes aren't every day. I was in London on Thursday and it made literally no difference there was a strike the day before and after.
Blewatter

WillPS wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 23.21
harshy wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 21.22 Yeah I was planning to go to London, pretty much was gonna be a geeky trip if you like, visiting tv studios around central London, but yeah the strikes has put paid to that little ambition anyway, but there’s always next time :-)
Why? The strikes aren't every day. I was in London on Thursday and it made literally no difference there was a strike the day before and after.
At least you have a decent network of transport in London that can handle part of a service striking. Meanwhile, in places like Skelmersdale, they're effectively stranded because they have no buses, and haven't for a few weeks now.
WillPS

Blewatter wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 23.52
At least you have a decent network of transport in London that can handle part of a service striking. Meanwhile, in places like Skelmersdale, they're effectively stranded because they have no buses, and haven't for a few weeks now.
There were no strikes affecting public transport in London on Thursday. I wouldn't recommend trying to get to London or travel around on a strike day.
Blewatter

WillPS wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 23.58
Blewatter wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 23.52

There were no strikes affecting public transport in London on Thursday. I wouldn't recommend try to get to London or travel around on a strike day.
Funnily enough, I learned that the hard way when I went into Liverpool a few weeks ago during the week-long train strike. I managed to get on a limited train service easily enough...then waited for 2 hours to get a bus back to somewhere close enough to walk home. I am sometimes not a very clever person.
harshy

Sorry I meant to say I booked it on my holiday then the RMT train strikes were announced on the days I booked it :-(