Public Transport in your particular part of the region

Jonwo

thegeek wrote: Tue 24 May, 2022 18.40 I took a bit of a detour and had a quick go before work. The class 345s aren't anything new to me, as I've been occasionally jumping on TfL Rail from Stratford - what's notable is how smooth the ride is through the central tunnels. The stations are lovely and spacious and curvy, and I'll probably be heading back on a day off soon to appreciate the architecture.

The train I got at about 10ish was pretty busy. I'd say a fairly even split between enthusiasts; normies just having a nosey; and actual people using it for actual journeys - quite a few with luggage.
The NLE is similar, it's much smoother compared to the older sector.

I know it's only just opened but will be interesting if the Elizabeth Line gets new stations in the future, I know Old Oak Common is kind of confirmed but I imagine TfL have other priorities like new Tube stock as well as the DLR extension.
all new Phil

I’m down in London next month for a few days so obviously I’ve booked to stay near Paddington so I can go for a ride.
Martin Phillp

I haven't had the chance to have a bash yet, but plan to make an excuse to go to either Tottenham Court Road or Woolwich. It's only one change at Whitechapel as I live on the London Overground East London Line extension, which opened in 2010 and I managed then to ride on day 1.

Back then it was a lot more low key, I was given a collectors wallet and a paper travelcard to travel free on the ELL (and across Zones 1-6) where as today a collectors Elizabeth Line Oyster Card will set you £10. The LT Museum also opened a pop-up shop at Paddington to purchase souvenirs.
TVF's London Lite.
gottago

Me and some friends did all nine stations tonight. It really is a marvel. Properly stunning engineering in the stations, genuinely quite breathtaking subterranean architecture, fantastically smooth, quiet journeys in the tunnels. And it just smells new as well, in a way that you don't get from any other ageing railway! A real treat, visit very soon.
thegeek

Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 25 May, 2022 00.04 I haven't had the chance to have a bash yet, but plan to make an excuse to go to either Tottenham Court Road or Woolwich. It's only one change at Whitechapel as I live on the London Overground East London Line extension, which opened in 2010 and I managed then to ride on day 1.

Back then it was a lot more low key, I was given a collectors wallet and a paper travelcard to travel free on the ELL (and across Zones 1-6) where as today a collectors Elizabeth Line Oyster Card will set you £10. The LT Museum also opened a pop-up shop at Paddington to purchase souvenirs.
I was on the first train of the ELLx - I seem to remember it opened to the public at lunchtime, which might have helped to moderate the crowds. I don't remember getting any freebies though!

It's amazing how quickly it became part of the travel landscape, and opened up journeys that you just wouldn't consider before. And as for the amount of times I've plotted a journey to West London and thought 'this would be so much easier if Crossrail was open'...

If only, as a country, we truly got that investing in public transport projects gets people using public transport. I'm off to visit family in Glasgow next week, and will no doubt return full of rage at the lack of joined-up ticketing, passenger-unfriendly competition on buses, and hopeless timetables on suburban rail services. (One train an hour on the line to my parents' house, and that's not even as a result of ScotRail's emergency timetable.) It's not complicated, it just needs someone with the political will to spend the money.
Jonwo

thegeek wrote: Wed 25 May, 2022 05.41 I was on the first train of the ELLx - I seem to remember it opened to the public at lunchtime, which might have helped to moderate the crowds. I don't remember getting any freebies though!

It's amazing how quickly it became part of the travel landscape, and opened up journeys that you just wouldn't consider before. And as for the amount of times I've plotted a journey to West London and thought 'this would be so much easier if Crossrail was open'...

If only, as a country, we truly got that investing in public transport projects gets people using public transport. I'm off to visit family in Glasgow next week, and will no doubt return full of rage at the lack of joined-up ticketing, passenger-unfriendly competition on buses, and hopeless timetables on suburban rail services. (One train an hour on the line to my parents' house, and that's not even as a result of ScotRail's emergency timetable.) It's not complicated, it just needs someone with the political will to spend the money.
TBF I don't think that's exclusively a UK problem, I know Andy Byford quit his previous job at the New York Transit Authority because of political inferences from the former New York Governor preventing him from getting anything done.
Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Wed 25 May, 2022 05.41
Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 25 May, 2022 00.04 I haven't had the chance to have a bash yet, but plan to make an excuse to go to either Tottenham Court Road or Woolwich. It's only one change at Whitechapel as I live on the London Overground East London Line extension, which opened in 2010 and I managed then to ride on day 1.

I was on the first train of the ELLx - I seem to remember it opened to the public at lunchtime, which might have helped to moderate the crowds. I don't remember getting any freebies though!

It was a two phase opening, the core opened in April 2010 and the extension down to West Croydon and Crystal Palace opened in mid-May. The stations at least in south London had balloons up and staff giving away freebies in May.

To be fair to the Elizabeth line launch, they gave away badges to passengers yesterday.

Here's the Oyster wallet I received on the May launch day at my local station.

TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

It's a credit to TfL that London Overground was so successful because the network is now double what it was back in 2007. Will be interesting to see if they gain other suburban routes once GBR is in fruition.
Martin Phillp

I noticed some concerns that the Elizabeth line was quiet, but like the ELL extension in the early days, people are trying out new routes. 12 years later, the Overground here is heaving, even at weekends.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Jonwo wrote: Wed 25 May, 2022 11.58

TBF I don't think that's exclusively a UK problem, I know Andy Byford quit his previous job at the New York Transit Authority because of political inferences from the former New York Governor preventing him from getting anything done.
And NY's loss is very much London's gain.

Here's a good thread on why London gets the money and other bits of the country get crumbs, unfair as it is:

Meanwhile, I wish the SNP government had the gumption to stand up to the likes of First and Stagecoach and go back to regulated buses. Give us a multimodal PAYG system like the OV-Chipkaart. Turn-up-and-go services. Make it simple and people will use it!
Jonwo

Did a short trip on the Elizabeth Line from Paddington to Tottenham Court Road and I'm honestly blown away not only the scale of the stations but also just how quiet and quick the journey was. I think the real gamechanger is those travelling from Shenfield or Abbey Wood where it'll cut the journey time by a big amount.