Long forgotten brands that sank without trace

nwtv2003

rdobbie wrote:However it does remind me of a time until the mid 1980s when Sainsbury's sold all their alcohol from an entirely separate shop next to the actual supermarket. I'm sure this must have been to do with legislation on alcohol sales at the time. I remember it felt like an airport duty free shop.
There's a Morrisons in Wigan Town Centre (built late 80s by the looks of it) and this still the case, the Beers, Wines and Spirits are seperate from the main store, as is the home & lesiure department too, it looked strange to say the least.
steve
Col

nwtv2003 wrote:
rdobbie wrote:However it does remind me of a time until the mid 1980s when Sainsbury's sold all their alcohol from an entirely separate shop next to the actual supermarket. I'm sure this must have been to do with legislation on alcohol sales at the time. I remember it felt like an airport duty free shop.
There's a Morrisons in Wigan Town Centre (built late 80s by the looks of it) and this still the case, the Beers, Wines and Spirits are seperate from the main store, as is the home & lesiure department too, it looked strange to say the least.
And there's still supermarkets like that in Northern Ireland due to the different licensing laws. The only example I can think of near where my Dad lives is the Sainsbury's in Craigavon; built in 1997/98, the off-licence part, divided from the rest of the store, is to the right of the main entrance.

Sadly, separate off-licence sub-units in NI are becoming a rarity given how many old Stewarts/Crazy Prices/Wellworths premises have been redeveloped/shut down and relocated/demolished and new store built on the same site by Tesco/Asda.
woah

nwtv2003 wrote:
The Morrisons store that's part of the Merrion Centre in Leeds city centre has a seperate alcohol section - within the store, but it's near the entrance behind different barriers and with it's own separate till.

I'd assumed it was because of a lack of space on the main shop floor, but I guess it'll be the same the other stores mentioned.
JAS84

Ditto at the Hull Sutton Park branch of Jacksons, the booze section was in it's own area to the left of the main entrance. It was later split into two wholly separate units. The former off-licence is now a takeaway, and the convenience store itself is now Sainsbury's Local (Sainsbury's took over the entire Jacksons chain).
Pete

In Germany, there is a tendency for some supermarkets to have a "trinktmarkt" which stocks all sorts of beers and soft drinks in these strange plastic crate things. This is due to the fact that said crate, along with the bottles, have a refundable deposit on them and there is a frau sat behind a counter who takes them back before giving you a seemingly random amount of store credit which appears to be based on how bad a mood she's in.

Smaller places of tesco metro size will instead have a machine for putting your bottles in and print you the coupon automatically. This voucher is ONLY valid in that store and any attempt to spend it elsewhere shall be met with a sneer of disgust at the competitors logo on the voucher.

This is my understanding of how it works anyhow.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

JAS84 wrote:
Ditto at the Hull Sutton Park branch of Jacksons, the booze section was in it's own area to the left of the main entrance. It was later split into two wholly separate units. The former off-licence is now a takeaway, and the convenience store itself is now Sainsbury's Local (Sainsbury's took over the entire Jacksons chain).
Although a fair few were later sold on:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38121570@N07/4237192723/
DVB Cornwall

This review of a Wimpy experience in Nottingham recently was RT'd to me a few minutes ago ....

It might interest, and surprise, some ....

see here ……..

FOOD-REVIEW-WIMPY-ERIK-P on THISISNOTTINGHAM.CO.UK
07-Dec-2012 @ 17:27
james2001

Pete wrote:In Germany, there is a tendency for some supermarkets to have a "trinktmarkt" which stocks all sorts of beers and soft drinks in these strange plastic crate things. This is due to the fact that said crate, along with the bottles, have a refundable deposit on them and there is a frau sat behind a counter who takes them back before giving you a seemingly random amount of store credit which appears to be based on how bad a mood she's in.

Smaller places of tesco metro size will instead have a machine for putting your bottles in and print you the coupon automatically. This voucher is ONLY valid in that store and any attempt to spend it elsewhere shall be met with a sneer of disgust at the competitors logo on the voucher.

This is my understanding of how it works anyhow.
I actually have experience of it! When I go to Germany I find myself buying loads of Vanilla Coke as they still sell it out there, so had quite a few bottles to change, although this year's the first time I tried it (as before it was a person, and I didn't want to get confused over the langauge barrier). You put the bottle in the machine, it sucks it in, spins it round while flashing different lights at it (I guess to determine what type of bottle it is), then sucks it at high speed down a tube. At least that was how the machine at the supermarket I used (the Kaufland in Magdeburg), I guess it could be different elsewhere. The plastic bottles over there are a lot thicker and more robust, because they re-use them, I do sometimes wonder if it would be a good idea to have a similar system over here, I think it's quite a good idea myself.
Pete

Yes although I do notice that the bottles have lots of scratch marks on them from being washed so often.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

I seem to recall the 500ml bottles being a right pain to open; some kind of weird tab arrangement.
DVB Cornwall wrote:This review of a Wimpy experience in Nottingham recently was RT'd to me a few minutes ago ....

It might interest, and surprise, some ....

see here ……..

FOOD-REVIEW-WIMPY-ERIK-P on THISISNOTTINGHAM.CO.UK
07-Dec-2012 @ 17:27
What a load of twaddle. It's like all the worst parts of British cafe culture - you sit on uncomfortable seats which have needed repadding for decades, 'service' sans smile and when I went they didn't even tot up the bill properly. The whole eating off a plate novelty is ruined by the fact the plate itself is stone cold.

The only honest thing about that piece is the photo, which perfectly illustrates the gloomy setting.
DJDave

I remember going to a Morrisons in the Lakes a few years ago and that had the wine etc behind a fake wall and windows, but that might have been a Market Street thing at the time.