Trademark symbols ™

TopCat
Banned for one week

Hello.

I am writing a piece of text I hope to send to a professional company. I will be using the brand names, Formula One™ Racing and McDonald's™. Would I need to ™ every mention of the word Formula One or McDonald's or just ™ the first use of the word?

Best.
WillPS

Depends on the piece of writing and the context they're being used. As a rule of thumb I would only worry on public facing material. Credit with "TM" the first time if you're concerned.
Alexia

TM stands for Totally Meaningless. Unless a trademark is registered and has the ® symbol, you don't need to worry too much.
bilky asko

TopCat wrote:Hello.

I am writing a piece of text I hope to send to a professional company. I will be using the brand names, Formula One™ Racing and McDonald's™. Would I need to ™ every mention of the word Formula One or McDonald's or just ™ the first use of the word?

Best.
McDonald's is a registered trademark (®)
lukey

I thought that the use of trademark symbols was irrelevant for The Rest Of Us - instead a way for businesses to assert their ownership of a mark (so in the case of infringement they can point to having signposted it with a big ®). I may have made this up...
Bail

Indeed it purely means that they own the mark, logo, font or similar that is used for promotional materials. In an essay it would not be needed at all.