High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Jonwo

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 20 Feb, 2024 17.57 The Body Shop first closures are in. They plan to close half of their physical stores as part of restructuring.

Stores that will close today are:

Surrey Quays (London)
Oxford Street - Bond Street (London)
Canary Wharf (London)
Cheapside (London)
Nuneaton
Ashford (Kent)
Bristol Queens Road

At a guess, the four London stores are closing due to higher rents and the three outside London are due to poor sales.
I didn't realise there was a Body Shop in Surrey Quays. The others are not too surprising.

I wonder if it would be easier for The Body Shop to go online only.
Martin Phillp

Jonwo wrote: Wed 21 Feb, 2024 01.21
Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 20 Feb, 2024 17.57 The Body Shop first closures are in. They plan to close half of their physical stores as part of restructuring.

Surrey Quays (London)
Canary Wharf (London)
Cheapside (London)
Nuneaton
Ashford (Kent)
Bristol Queens Road

At a guess, the four London stores are closing due to higher rents and the three outside London are due to poor sales.
I didn't realise there was a Body Shop in Surrey Quays. The others are not too surprising.

I wonder if it would be easier for The Body Shop to go online only.
The Surrey Quays Shopping Centre is being demolished at some point for housing which may explain why they've chosen what is otherwise nowhere as high profile as the other three London closures.

Back to Wilko, the first northern England reopening will be in Rotherham, also on the 29th March and they're advertising for staff in Poole.
TVF's London Lite.
Robinhood

Surrey Quays (London)
Canary Wharf (London)
Cheapside (London)
Nuneaton
Ashford (Kent)
Bristol Queens Road

The full list of closures been announced here.

I’m surprised Didcot managed to stay open as long as it have been.
cyberdude

A lot of those don't surprise me. Swansea and Carmarthen in particular, both aren't particularly affluent areas and I'm surprised it took administration for them to close them down.
Martin Phillp

I thought Brixton might survive considering the gentrification of the area, but it along with Lewisham are closing. (The latter is in the Lewisham Centre which is expected to be demolished for a mixed housing and retail complex).
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Is this a temporary wrap on the reopened Wilko in Rotherham?

TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

Why would a reopened store need a temporary sign? Wouldn't the old one usually only be taken down when someone else takes over the premises? If this one was a Wilko before and has just been closed since the chain went bust, it shouldn't need a new sign, as the old one should already say Wilko on it.
cwathen

JAS84 wrote: Fri 29 Mar, 2024 23.25 Why would a reopened store need a temporary sign? Wouldn't the old one usually only be taken down when someone else takes over the premises? If this one was a Wilko before and has just been closed since the chain went bust, it shouldn't need a new sign, as the old one should already say Wilko on it.
Can't speak for that particular store, but many units will debrand as part of their closing down process. If that was done 'temporary sign' will be to cover planning permission liabilities, the new one may not be exactly the same as the old.
Blewatter

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 29 Mar, 2024 13.20 Is this a temporary wrap on the reopened Wilko in Rotherham?

Im sorry, but that picture is giving me COVID 2020 vibes
thegeek

MUJI Europe are to enter administration
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... hops-staff
bilky asko

Blewatter wrote: Sat 30 Mar, 2024 11.03
Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 29 Mar, 2024 13.20 Is this a temporary wrap on the reopened Wilko in Rotherham?

Im sorry, but that picture is giving me COVID 2020 vibes
It's a queue where everyone is standing closely together, so it's not only a tenuous link but inaccurate at that